List of mistakes in the books

Lord Varys

Yeah, that's an outright contradiction. I'm pretty sure that GRRM is or already has corrected this things in subsequent editions of AFfC.

Yeah. GRRM omitted the "lion's dead" line entirely in the paperback version.

If I'm remembering correctly there were also significant changes in the sample Jon chapter of ADwD concerning the time the guys at the Wall learn about Tywin's death. First they knew about it already, but now they don't - either because they coincide with the ending of ASoS, or due to the fact that knowledge needs its time to travel this far north.

There was some argument about one character knowing about Tywin's death during the second Jon spoiler chapter, which was summarized on the board. The first Jon spoiler chapter should predate the first Sam chapter in AFFC, at which point both Sam and Jon believed Tywin to be alive.

Then the 'lion line' will be omitted as well in the translation.

I gather the execution of Janos Slynt is going to have much more impact and meaning with the people involved in it believing that Tywin Lannister is still alive. I'm pretty sure Stannis' star is going to rise both with the report of Tywin's death and with Cersei fucking things up down in KL. Stannis Baratheon sits at the doorstep of the northern Lords, and they knew him to be a most capable battle commander. On the 'bad ass reputation list' Stannis' name should come shortly after Tywin's name.

Is Hag's Mire supposed to be a settlement at a swamp, or is it just the name of the swamp? That's not really important, but it makes a difference on the level of preposition - is it 'in Hexensumpf' or 'im Hexensumpf' in German ;-)?

In the prologue to ASOS, Chett says (or thinks) that he grew up in Hag's Mire, where his father was a farm worker. So it's a village or at least a settled area, not just a swamp.

'Seven save the King', Anguy's toast in the inn of the kneeling man, seems to be a Westerosi version of 'God save the King'. I intend to translate this as 'Die Sieben schützen den König', but I'm at a loss what to do with Lem's answer 'All twelve of them'. Is that some known English phrase as well? Maybe also changed a little to fit into the Westerosi culture?

Is 'Tumbler's Falls' a village/settlement/town/castle, or just, well, a waterfall of sorts? It is the place at the Mander where the Tyrells teamed up with Lord Tywin to attack Stannis.

Is 'Tumbler's Falls' a village/settlement/town/castle, or just, well, a waterfall of sorts? It is the place at the Mander where the Tyrells teamed up with Lord Tywin to attack Stannis.

From the wiki: "Tumbler's Falls is a town in the Riverlands.[1] Ser Morgan Dunstable was from Tumbler's Falls."

I spotted a typo in AFFC, a Cersei chapter where she goes to see the new High Septon and agrees to arm the faith. Ser Osmund is outside her litter, shouting at the sparrows to clear a path, and yells "Are you all dead?" It seems to me that it should be "Are you all deaF?"

Guest Other-in-Law

I spotted a typo in AFFC, a Cersei chapter where she goes to see the new High Septon and agrees to arm the faith. Ser Osmund is outside her litter, shouting at the sparrows to clear a path, and yells "Are you all dead?" It seems to me that it should be "Are you all deaF?"

No reason to assume so. He's objecting to the fact that they're not moving, so "dead" works perfectly well.

You know what's appropriate posting, folks.

I'm sorry if I came off as offensive.

No reason to assume so. He's objecting to the fact that they're not moving, so "dead" works perfectly well.

I think that "are you deaf?" is a more commonly occurring statement than "are you dead?". While "are you dead?" is a working sentence, I also suspect that because "dead" is so similar to "deaf", it is a typo that has been overlooked by the editors and spellchecks.

• 3 weeks later...

When the Mummers cut off Jaime's hand, he thinks of himself as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Does this make sense? Is it even possible that he should know about his new office? I do not remember Catelyn telling him back in ACoK, so how could he possibly know?

Ran, do you know which kin the Andal king Erreg the Kinslayer has slain? I ask because the term 'kinslayer' is difficult to translate into German - 'Verwandtenmörder' sounds pretty cheesy - but it would be easily possible to call him 'Vatermörder' ('father-slayer'), 'Muttermörder' ('mother-slayer'), or even 'Vettermörder' ('cousin-slayer').

Ran, do you know which kin the Andal king Erreg the Kinslayer has slain? I ask because the term 'kinslayer' is difficult to translate into German - 'Verwandtenmörder' sounds pretty cheesy - but it would be easily possible to call him 'Vatermörder' ('father-slayer'), 'Muttermörder' ('mother-slayer'), or even 'Vettermörder' ('cousin-slayer').

Why not "Sippenmörder", regardless of the relation, number and gender of murdered kin...

When the Mummers cut off Jaime's hand, he thinks of himself as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Does this make sense? Is it even possible that he should know about his new office? I do not remember Catelyn telling him back in ACoK, so how could he possibly know?

1) Is it your job to determine what Jaime knows? If so, does Jaime know Ser Barristan is fired and fled, and can he forsee that he will be LC. Sounds improbable, more like a GRRM mistake. I would say if you are translating, just go with what it says.

2) I would opt to find a passable word for kinslayer, as it is a fairly common word in the series, reused a lot of times throughout the series. There are even puns about "kinslayer" vs "kingslayer". You cannot replace "The gods frown on kinslayers" with "The gods frown on father/mother/brother/sister/cousin/nephew/niece/uncle/aunt/grandmother/grandfather-slayers". It just doesn't have the same zing. ;) If all else fails, I would go with the german version of "killer of relatives", rather than anything more specific.

When Jaime is briefly free of his tower cell in Riverrun during Tyrion's attempt to free him, he does have contact with Lannister men who could have told him about some current events including his elevation to Lord Commander. Unlikely? Probably, but better than rewriting parts of the book without the author's consent.

The word kinslayer comes up a lot. I really don't think it makes sense to translate each individual instance of kinslaying relative to the...well...relative in question. If German doesn't have an equivalent single word just build one yourself. Surely German has a word for blood relative of any sort? I thought one of the things about German grammar was that it was considered totally acceptable to build new (and sometimes extremely long) words by shoving together a bunch of normal ones.

On Jaime:

As of now, I did not change anything here, but technically it would not change anything if Jaime thought himself just as a member of the KG, as one should expect that a regular member of the KG should be as resilient as the LC, and not scream when some Dothraki sellsword cuts off his hand.

But I think I should check if Jaime is later surprised to be the LC when he returns to KL. If he is, then this is a contradiction. Although I'm buying the Ser Cleos solution - but of course not the Tyrion's-agents-told-him-solution. These guys most likely only said what was necessary for the escape.

I will certainly get rid of Tywin's stupid line 'If Lady Catelyn thinks...'. That is going to be easy, as this line actually does make some sense as 'If Lady Catelyn thought...'.

On the kinslayer thing:

I remember the Kingslayer-kinslayer-joke back in ACoK, but my question here had more to do with the fact that 'Erreg the Kinslayer' is a name of sorts, whereas the other kinslayers can be translated more individually. But I agree, I should find a fixed term for that. 'Sippenmörder' could work. It really becomes important as a term in ASoS.

Archived