List of mistakes in the books

Lord Varys

During their negotiations with the Tullys and Starks, Bastard Walder Frey refers to Lord Walder as 'his grandfather'. This has to be a mistake, has it not? Bastard Walder Rivers is the eldest bastard son of Lord Walder, and can thus not be his grandson.

At Sansa's wedding in ASoS Tommen is described to be as 'about or nearly nine'. I conclude from this that Tommen should be nine at the end of the first half German half of ASoS. The break is at the Tyrion chapter where Oberyn arrives in King's Landing.

The appendix of ASoS describes Tommen as eight at the beginning of ASoS, and Myrcella as nine. Should she technically already be ten when Tommen is nine, or is likely that Cersei got pregnant with Tommen immediately after she gave birth to Myrcella. If this is the case, then it would make sense that Tommen and Myrcella are of the same age for one or two months each year. Of course, I tend to make Myrcella ten in the appendix for the second half of ASoS.

Sorry for these stupid age questions, but you really have to think about this stuff when editing those appendices.

I do know some of the mistakes in the text ('Daeren Targaryen' was always Daeron Targaryen in the German text,

I just re-read the English versions of the Dunk and Egg stories and the spelling was always Daeron Targaryen. I have never seen the "Daeren" spelling so I would go with Daeron.

• 1 month later...

'Daeren' can only be found in the early chapters of AGoT, it is spelled correctly later on in said book, for example in the appendix.

Does anybody know if Danny Flint, the brave person who ended up raped and murdered at the Nightfort according to Old Nan's stories, was male or female? In the German translation we need to choose a gender. Right now Danny is female, but I'd like to know if we know that she was female.

'Daeren' can only be found in the early chapters of AGoT, it is spelled correctly later on in said book, for example in the appendix.

Does anybody know if Danny Flint, the brave person who ended up raped and murdered at the Nightfort according to Old Nan's stories, was male or female? In the German translation we need to choose a gender. Right now Danny is female, but I'd like to know if we know that she was female.

I would have thought male would be more likely, given Danny was hanging about in a NW castle.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, but then this is the Nightfort we are talking about here. Things came in the dark here to kill you, and the Rat Cook is serving you prince-and-bacon pie if you are an Andal King of old. Everything should be possible around here. But I think I'm settling on male, that is unless somebody (Ran?) has inside information on Danny's gender.

During their negotiations with the Tullys and Starks, Bastard Walder Frey refers to Lord Walder as 'his grandfather'. This has to be a mistake, has it not? Bastard Walder Rivers is the eldest bastard son of Lord Walder, and can thus not be his grandson.

Black Walder isn't a bastard, he's the son of ser Ryman, who in turn is Old Walder's Grandson

I called Bastard Walder Rivers Bastard Walder Frey here, but anyway, Bastard Walder is a son of Walder Frey, and has nothing to do with Black Walder Frey who in fact is Old Walder's great-grandson.

Later on, when Robb arrives at the Twins, the styling of Walder Frey by his brood gets even more complicated. His offspring seems to forget that he is not their 'Lord father', but their 'Lord grandfather', or 'Lord great-grandfather'. Anyway, these things stand corrected now in the German edition. Although I've to admit it, I'm really annoyed by the amount of time I spend looking through this insanely vast Frey appendix. Let's hope for simplicity's sake that UnCat is going to hang more than just two or three weasels in the next volume ;-).

Any idea if 'Silver Bridge' is a the seat of a house (i.e. a castle/keep of sorts) or merely just a bridge where no one actually lives. This would make a difference in the translation, so it's really important to know ;-).

Any idea if 'Silver Bridge' is a the seat of a house (i.e. a castle/keep of sorts) or merely just a bridge where no one actually lives. This would make a difference in the translation, so it's really important to know ;-).

Do you have any particular context?

Actually, yeah. Silver Bridge is the place where a tourney was held which was won by Ser Barristan Selmy (he held the passage against all challengers). The source is Barristan's entry in the White Book.

Based on the description of the tourney, where Ser Barristan 'defended the passage against all challengers', it seems that the Silver Bridge refers to an actual bridge. Though it's possible it's also a town name. A town named for a bridge. So the tourney is at the town and the town is named for the presence of the bridge which itself wouldn't be capitalized though the town's name would. Just as Maidenpool is named for an actual pool that once contained some maidens.

We really don't have the necessary information to make the call. I'd go with it being a literal bridge.

Based on the description of the tourney, where Ser Barristan 'defended the passage against all challengers', it seems that the Silver Bridge refers to an actual bridge. Though it's possible it's also a town name. A town named for a bridge. So the tourney is at the town and the town is named for the presence of the bridge which itself wouldn't be capitalized though the town's name would. Just as Maidenpool is named for an actual pool that once contained some maidens.

We really don't have the necessary information to make the call. I'd go with it being a literal bridge.

The small square keep was half a ruin, and so too the great grey knight who lived there. He was so old he did not understand their questions. No matter what was said to him, he would only smile and mutter, "I held the bridge against Ser Maynard. Red hair and a black temper, he had, but he could not move me. Six wounds I took before I killed him. Six!"

The maester who cared for him was a young man, thankfully. After the old knight had drifted to sleep in his chair, he took them aside and said, "I fear you seek a ghost. We had a bird, ages ago, half a year at least. The Lannisters caught Lord Beric near the Gods Eye. He was hanged."

"Aye, hanged he was, but Thoros cut him down before he died." Lem's broken nose was not so red or swollen as it had been, but it was healing crooked, giving his face a lopsided look. "His lordship's a hard man to kill, he is."

"And a hard man to find, it would seem," the maester said. "Have you asked the Lady of the Leaves?"

"We shall," said Greenbeard.

The next morning, as they crossed the little stone bridge behind the keep, Gendry wondered if this was the bridge the old man had fought over. No one knew. "Most like it is," said Jack-Be-Lucky. "Don't see no other bridges."

"You'd know for certain if there was a song," said Tom Sevenstrings. "One good song, and we'd know who Ser Maynard used to be and why he wanted to cross this bridge so bad. Poor old Lychester might be as far famed as the Dragonknight if he'd only had sense enough to keep a singer."

"Lord Lychester's sons died in Robert's Rebellion," grumbled Lem. "Some on one side, some on the other. He's not been right in the head since. No bloody song's like to help any o' that."

Maybe this is the bridge in question.

It will be awesome to see another Dunc&Egg story where they defend a bridge alongside Ser Lychester(depending on how old he really is). This will make that mention about the Dragonknight and his fame very important.

And in honor of that great feat of the Dragonknight the Targs hold a tourney in the same place many years later, in which someone had to 'defend the passing' against all foes.

Or it may be just wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway, it probably is a real bridge, where some great knight of old did some great feat that convinced the great houses to hold a tourney in it's honor.

Not that likely, as the Ser Maynard episode appears to be some kind of real battle, whereas Barristan just one a tourney, and most likely did not kill any of his challengers. It is also said that Barristan defended the passage, and not the old Ser Lychester.

Oh, and by the way I think it's all but confirmed that Tommen has to be nine in AFfC, not eight. That has to be a mistake, as we get this tidbit from Sansa POV during her wedding in ASoS:

'It was Mace Tyrell opposite her, red-faced and sweaty, and then Lord Merryweather, and then Prince Tommen. "I want to be married too," said the plump little princeling, who was all of nine. "I’m taller than my uncle!"'

Tommen could not have been 'all of nine' in the first half of ASoS, and then still be eight through the entirety of AFfC. Especially as he started the series as a seven-year-old, as did Bran, who has to be nine right now as well...

Any idea, to what the title of the song Marillion is playing in the last Sansa chapter of ASoS actually refers to? The title is 'The False and the Fair'.

Are this a man and a woman, then who is false and who fair. And is 'fair' meaning 'just' here, or only 'beautiful' or even blonde?

And are meant only two people, or many, say does it mean the 'False Ones and the Fair Ones'?

Right now it's translated as 'The False Ones and the Just Ones', but I'm not sure if that is really the theme of this song...

Has anyone an idea why the hell Dorna of House Swyft is not listed as a daughter of Ser Harys Swyft in the appendices of both ASoS and AFfC? Despite the fact that his other children are mentioned beneath his own entry, along with the fact that he is good-father to Ser Kevan.

This has to be mistake, right? But is Dorna Ser Harys' eldest daughter, or a younger?

Oh, and Lady Rhea Hightower, wife to Lord Leyton is supposed to be a Florent - Lord Alester's daughter - according to the appendices of ACoK and ASoS, but a Hightower according to the Hightower appendix of AFfC. I assume the latter is a mistake, as Rhea Florent Hightower is still credited as a daughter of Lord Alester in the Florent appendix of AFfC.

• 5 months later...

Since I now have started to proofread the first half of the German translation of ADwD (it is indeed named 'Der Sohn des Greifen'/'The Griffin's Son' as I suggested), I think it is time to continue this.

I guess I will catch most of the obvious mistakes in the book while reading it (Chayle & Cellador, Lancel being Cersei's nephew) but it would be really helpful if you would list here some of the subtler mistakes you stumbled upon.

The appendices situation will be resolved as well. Since 'Der Sohn des Greifen' is only going to be the other half of AFfC (the book will be split after 'The Prince of Winterfell'), I won't use 'The Boy King' section of the appendices in that volume - revealing the new Small Council would be too spoilery in my opinion, especially since Cersei is going to be referred to only as Queen Regent in that book - but the much more detailed 'Queen Regent' section from AFfC.

And for the other half I'll update the section on the Faith and correct the entry on the new High Septon (who is no 'old man and frail').

The entry on Connington I'd like to correct as well, but I'm still not yet fully convinced that him being called 'Lord of Storm's End' is a mistake. But if it was true, one should expect that Connington would have mentioned either in thought or word that he once was the Lord of Storm's End (at least in name) during the War of the Usurper when they discussed the attack on Storm's End in 'The Griffin Reborn'. And as it is not mentioned in the appendix that Connington is the former Lord of Griffin's Roost I'm rather inclined to believe that this is a mistake.

Any idea, to what the title of the song Marillion is playing in the last Sansa chapter of ASoS actually refers to? The title is 'The False and the Fair'.

Are this a man and a woman, then who is false and who fair. And is 'fair' meaning 'just' here, or only 'beautiful' or even blonde?

And are meant only two people, or many, say does it mean the 'False Ones and the Fair Ones'?

Right now it's translated as 'The False Ones and the Just Ones', but I'm not sure if that is really the theme of this song...

Sorry I don't have any inside information and I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts. To me it seems like this is probably intentionality vague and can mean both as a sort of pun. Of course unless we hear the full song or someone explains it we can't know. When I read it first I assumed it meant fair as in beautiful but it makes sense to read it as the false and the just. I would suggest seeing as how songs about fair maids are popular in Westeros though I would go with the liar and the beautiful translation, but that's just my own bias.

Archived