Those Tapestries Littlefinger Asked For

LadySansa

I was reading AFFC for the ten millionth time yesterday and I noticed something in Jaime's chapter that was kind of interesting. It is on page 638. Jaime just arrived at Darry and is going to go see Lancel soon. Here is the part I found interesting:

The walls had been bare on his first visit too. Tyrion had pointed out the squares of darker stone where tapestries had once hung. Ser Raymun coudl remove the hangings, but not the marks they'd left. Later, the Imp had slipped a handful of stags to one of Darry's serving men for the key to the cellar where the missing tapestries were hidden. He showed them to Jaime by the light of a candle, grinning; woven portraits of all the Targaryen kings, from the first Aegon to the second Aerys.

So I know it is a big stretch but I was wondering if maybe these actually were the ones Littlefinger wanted. We haven't seen any evidence that they were taken all the way from Darry since then. Also, when Cersei mentions Littlefinger asking for them she calls them old tapestries of Robert's. I don't know, just wanted to throw it out there. The part where she discusses him asking for the tapestries is on page 346.

Guest Other-in-Law

Definitely not the same. One set of tapestries were at the Red Keep and depicted hunting scenes, which Robert hung on the throne room's walls since he couldn't stand looking at the Targaryen's dragon skulls. These were mentioned back in aGoT. The other set were portraits of all the Targaryen kings including mad Aerys! Even if they weren't hundreds of miles away from each other, the fact that Robert utterly despised the Targs rules out hanging their portraits on his walls.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both tapestries that were taken down.

Not the same as Darrys's, I agree, but if Littlefinger wants them, there must be something important about them. Initially, I thought they might even be part of the collection taken from the Iron Islands and Littlefinger might want to use them as a bargaining chip with the Greyjoys or other Ironmen, but the "hunting scenes" don't tend to support that idea. I haven't figured it out yet, but it's one of those little details that keeps nagging at my brain and I'd bet is more important when we get further into the story. Just a hunch.

Guest Other-in-Law

but if Littlefinger wants them, there must be something important about them.

Not necessarily. They could simply be a way of gauging his standing with Cersei's court, or his agents could be using them to smuggle something else out of the Red Keep, or they could be misdirection of some other sort. I think this is is one of those cases where we just don't have enough information yet to figure anything out.

I think the purpose of the Darry tapestries is basically twofold; first it shows that Baratheon era support for the Targaryen dynasty wasn't just a pipe dream of the beggar king...Raymund Darry openly hung their portraits on his walls, including Aerys! That's pretty much treason against Robert, though of a furtive sort. Second, it shows yet again, how clever Tyrion can be at times.

I was reading AFFC for the ten millionth time yesterday and I noticed something in Jaime's chapter that was kind of interesting. It is on page 638. Jaime just arrived at Darry and is going to go see Lancel soon. Here is the part I found interesting:

The walls had been bare on his first visit too. Tyrion had pointed out the squares of darker stone where tapestries had once hung. Ser Raymun coudl remove the hangings, but not the marks they'd left. Later, the Imp had slipped a handful of stags to one of Darry's serving men for the key to the cellar where the missing tapestries were hidden. He showed them to Jaime by the light of a candle, grinning; woven portraits of all the Targaryen kings, from the first Aegon to the second Aerys.

So I know it is a big stretch but I was wondering if maybe these actually were the ones Littlefinger wanted. We haven't seen any evidence that they were taken all the way from Darry since then. Also, when Cersei mentions Littlefinger asking for them she calls them old tapestries of Robert's. I don't know, just wanted to throw it out there. The part where she discusses him asking for the tapestries is on page 346.

I wondered about those tapestries too, but I can't seem to find Cersei's mention of them. It's not on page 346 in my AFFC.

As people say here in the thread, they are probably not the Darry tapestries, but it is intriguing. I doubt LF asked for them for no reason, whatever that reason may be. They might have been mentioned in earlier books. Could be the one's Robert used to replace Aerys' dragon skulls in the throne room. Or was that banners?

Knowing LF, tapestries would have two purposes: Impressing people, or showing something or someone of importance. It could be part of setting the scene for Sansa's wedding with Harry the Heir. Without more information, it is all speculation however. So, does anyone have information, some quote from the books?

I wondered about those tapestries too, but I can't seem to find Cersei's mention of them. It's not on page 346 in my AFFC.

It's in the fourth Cersei chapter, in the scene where she's meeting with the "smallest council" for the first time, when they're discussing the impending actions of the Lords Declarant in the Vale:

"Does Lord Baelish seek our help?" asked Harys Swyft.

"Not as yet. In truth, he seems quite unconcerned. His last letter mentions the rebels only briefly before beseeching me to ship him some tapestries of Robert's."

The only other reference (to my knowledge) to this arrangement is by Littlefinger himself. The context for this quote is Littlefinger saying that he doesn't want to take Harrenhal because of the curse:

[Alayne says,] "Then give it to Lord Frey."

Petyr laughed. "Perhaps I shall. Or better still, to our sweet Cersei. Though I should not speak harshly of her, she is sending me some splendid tapestries. Isn't that kind of her?"

I think the fact that these tapestries are identified as Robert's indicates that they're the hunting tapestries alluded to in A Game of Thrones. But yeah, I have no idea what Littlefinger would want with them.

See, the images on the tapestries are just a distraction. The real power lies in the pattern around the fringes. When laid together in the correct sequence, the patterns align themselves into a summoning circle, allowing Littlefinger to conjure up a level 12 Mummer's Dragon without paying any mana.

Guest Other-in-Law

I think that if they are the Targ tapestries

They're not. They're Robert's tapestries. See PDC's quote. Robert hated the Targs.

I had a couple of thoughts on the tapestries, which were 1) LF plans to use them to support the idea that Myrcella and Tommen are not Robert's true heirs; and, 2)maybe they are really valuable and that's why he wants them. :dunno:

If he did use them as "proof" of the children's parentage, it would have something to do with Daenerys since he won't risk Stannis coming to power.

If we assume the tapestries are most likely the Baratheon hunting ones mentioned back in AGoT (or was it ACoK?) there is another possiblity to consider: that Littlefinger plans to raise banners for a Baratheon claimant.

Afterall we are forgetting he does have a potential candidate in his power as Lord Protector of the Vale. All he need do is find some septon who will attest to a drunken Robert marrying her mother in secret years ago (before he wed Cersai) which should be rather easier with the Lannisters' hold on power slipping and those alive at the time and respected enough to contridict his story (Eddard, Jon Arryn) dead. Then with the tapestries flying in the wind present Queen Mya Baratheon*, first of her name and launch 'Robert's Rebellion II'...

*Incidently to those who note Mya Stone's total unsuitability to be a ruling Queen, I agree but then Littlefinger probably doesn't want anything other than a puppet ruler to rule through or better one he can marry to become King. She looks like Robert, they can probably dress her to more look the part, she can most likely can sit on a horse well enough and mayhaps he can have 'Alayne' school Mya on her courtesies.

Queen Mya I Baratheon: how cracked is my pot? :rolleyes:

As has been said, I always just thought Littlefinger wanted those hunting tapestries because they showed a lot of Baratheons and none of them had blonde hair. In other words, the tapestries could be used to support the claim that Cercei's kids weren't Robert's in the same way as the lineage book that Jon Arryn and Ned had. What ever happened to that book, by the way?

However, I also like the idea that Littlefinger may be planning to present them to Dany if they depict Targaryens (which they most likely do not ;) ).

Do Roberts tapestries have to have pictures of Baratheons on them? I got the impression that they depicted hunting scenes, but not from neccessarily from any specific family.

If Robert had them made himself at one point, then they might include him in the depiction the way that Italian artists included their patrons in pictures of ostensibly unrelated subjects. I recall reading that Cosimo de Medici appeared as one of the Wise Men, for example.

ETA: In any case, I don't know why Littlefinger would try to explain the problem with Tommen's succession to Daenerys. Dany knows the problem with Tommen's succession: he claims descent from the Usurper. It's immaterial to her whether Tommen is rightfully descended from the man who stole her father's throne, or wrongfully descended from the man who murdered her father. Either way, he's no true king.

However, I also like the idea that Littlefinger may be planning to present them to Dany if they depict Targaryens (which they most likely do not ;) ).

LF can be very persuasive.

Littlefinger: Behold! I have faced certain death to present to you these tapestries, in honor of your noble family, my Queen!

Dany: In honor of my family? Why are they covered in the Usurper's heraldry?

Littlefinger: Ah, your perceptiveness far exceeds your years, but you must needs look closer. See here the very image of your three dragons -- Drogon, Viserion, and... er... Meraxes?

Dany: Those... those are stags.

Littlefinger: No they're not! They're dragons!

Dany: I can see your hand covering up their antlers!

Littlefinger: Have you truly not heard of the famed Antlered Dragons of Old Valyria? Your worthy ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror, bathed his enemies in their shadow during the Field of Fire!

Dany: If they are truly dragons, why do they not have wings?

Littlefinger: Uh... I took the wings off, to have them... cleaned.

Dany: Hey, wait a minute; isn't that picture on the left of the Usurper beating my brother to death with a warhammer?

Littlefinger: What?

Dany: Seven Above, you can see his brains all over the ground! Why would you show me this?

Littlefinger: ... okay, then, I'll see you back at Harrenhal. Toodles! Don't let the zombies bite!

Archived