Egypt and the Middle East Thread 5

Relic

And where the hell is he? They couldn't find anywhere that looks less like an bandoned bomb shelter to set up a camera? Poor translator.

Someone who has met him (I read) says they think it is the army barracks in Tripoli. Yeah, I wondered if it was a fall-out shelter or whether the protesters had got too close for comfort, or if it was propaganda of some strange kind (e.g. "I don't live in luxury, see I am just like one of you living in a run-down apartment").

That was a fun speech. I especially like the following nuggets:

“I haven’t even started giving orders to use bullets. Any use of force against the authority of state will be sentenced to death.”

“Muammar Gaddafi is not a normal person that you can poison… or lead a revolution against.”

“I will fight until the last drop of blood with the people behind me.”

“Muammar Gaddafi is not the president, he is the leader of the revolution. He has nothing to lose. Revolution means sacrifice until the very end of your life.”

“If you love Muammar Gaddafi you will go out and secure Libya’s streets.”

In non-Libyan news, there was a 100,000 person march in Bahrain today. On the surface that doesn't seem that large compared to some other protests in the region, until you remember that that's 1 out of every 5 people in the entire country. That's insane. I really do not see how the Sunni royals will stay in power, if they tried killing everyone they'd either run out of bullets or citizens.

looooolllll, they switched translators.

He made a game effort there for a bit, but now seems to be flagging as well. My arabic isn't great, but i've definitely picked out bits and pieces a few times that did not, in any shape of form, appear in the translation.

Someone who has met him (I read) says they think it is the army barracks in Tripoli.

It's outside his former home that were bombed by Reagan back in the days. Now it's some kind of museum.

Ah, it seems (thanks google) these are one and the same: the Bab al-Aziziyah army barracks was where Gaddafi was living when the US bombed them. Apparently he sometimes holds state banquets there. So he's using it as the backdrop for presenting himself as the head of the revolution defiant against oppressive world superpowers.

Wow, 1 in 5...

Well at least of citizens, I don't know exactly how many migrant workers there are in Bahrain. Still, all things considered, that's the death knell of any government. If there were every an equivalent 60 million person march on DC that would definitely shake things up around here. Gotta say now would seem to be the time to completely abandon the royals and cozy up to the Shiites there immediately, ensure the 5th Fleet HQ can stay and convince them that having closer relations with Iran would not be a good thing.

Muammar Ghaddafi is concerned the nation might fall into the hands of crazy people...

Shit, you're right. Yeah, I could have sworn he was talking about his house at one point, but mine isn't what it used to be, haha... I think any translator would struggle here.

I swear there was a bit where he listed people having stuff, including animals and a restaraunt...Now i'll never know what the hell that was about.

"If you do not follow Gaddafi, who will you follow? Someone with a beard?"

Sophelia,

I think his daughter died there.

I remember one of his adopted children was killed, but didn't know she was in the home with him at the time. The kind of thing you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

What's with the beard comment? (My only working hypothesis is that he's aware his speech is being watched by countries who fear extremist muslims and is sending out a cry for help - but that doesn't seem very likely)

Gaddafi has said he will “cleanse Libya house by house” if protesters do not surrender and that “when they are prosecuted they will be begging for mercy.”

I have a bad feeling the Libyan military’s response will be directly opposite that of Egypt’s.

Archived