Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Ent

Judging Eye X (Re-read)

Also, it seems like Nanny throws her cane at Eleva and that is what salts her, so does Nanny have Two Chorae, one in her cane and one to display?

No. She hits the table with her cane with a loud crack (her palms tingle from the impact).

I thought that all of her chapters were confusing and difficult to follow.

This, so much this.

It's almost as though Bakker wrote her chapters and then went through and deleted a sentance from each paragraph and we have this strange amalgam of perceptions that makes her perspective so hard to follow.

Whoa. That's a Hell of a theory. Although I did notice somewhere that the carapace is made of nimil...something that I hadn't picked up on until recently.

The No-God being Su'juroit is a part of a web of interconnected theories that I've written about before in an earlier thread in an essay titled "Sorcery, Nonmen, Damnation". Maybe I should do a small repeat of the No-God = Su'juroit line of thought in the main thread.

I don't think the carapace being nimil matters that much though. I think nimil is just the mithril-equivalent of Eärwa and therefore the go-to material for high quality.

Nerdanel's basic theory seems to be that every named Nonman in the story is in fact Mekeritrig. And the No-God. And Mek founded the Dunyain, meaning probably Moe and Mek are also the same person.

Therefore, Kellhus is the son of the No-God who will probably become No-God 2.0.

Nerdanel's basic theory seems to be that every named Nonman in the story is in fact Mekeritrig. And the No-God. And Mek founded the Dunyain, meaning probably Moe and Mek are also the same person.

Therefore, Kellhus is the son of the No-God who will probably become No-God 2.0.

makes perfect sense, Su'juroit is actually Mek is actually Cleric is actually Cujara is actually Nil Giccas is actually Ninjanjin is actually the No God. :)

In the interest of an accurate representation of my theories:

Mekeritrig = Cleric = Nin'janjin = the founder of the Dûnyain.

Su'juroit = the No-God.

Kellhus = himself.

Mekeritrig and Kellhus both currently work for the No-God. Moënghus and Maithanet might or might not. Kelmomas works for the No-God but doesn't know it, thinking the voice in his head is Samarmas. The Consult work(ed) for the No-God but the No-God ditched them for incompetence. If Kellhus doesn't succeed in his war against the Consult, the No-God will ditch him too.

Here's the problem with anyone working for the No-God. To be working for him implies that the No-God is giving them orders directly or indirectly, which means that he must be in some sense present in the world. And, since people are still giving birth and people cannot feel its presence, this is not the case.

It is, I suppose, possible for them to be working in the interests of the No-God (whatever those may be), but that is a far different thing than them working directly on the No-God's behalf. Remember that the No-God was a tool summoned by the Consult and the Inchoroi for a specific purpose that then exceeded its purpose and became an object of worship.

And, unless something has changed in the 20 years since TTT, Kellhus is definitely not working on the Consult's behalf unless he came to that decision without any thought, since there's no hint of compliance in any of his dealings with or thoughts on the Consult in the first three books.

ETA: Also, if Mek and Kellhus both work for the No-God, why did Mek attack him in TDTCB?

lil Kel wants to be a tree.

then he kills Sammy and Sammy asks why lil Kel didn't do it sooner. I presume there will be olive oil on Sammy's shoe, and that Maitha will note that.

Like Triskele, I think Ajokilijikiliki (or whatever the damned name is) has a connection to lil Kel. Right after lil Kel thinks how badass awesome it would be to be a tree, he thinks about that God. And then he thinks of all his oh-so-clever tricksterness in sending away the poor slave girl and setting up Sammy to fall.

He also thinks about the 'war' with Sammy when they were little, and he describes their unbroken gazes as soldered into a single soul and then as a two-bodied creature. There is something going on with twins. And remember Nanny is a twin as well. Are we seeing something as simple as Kell being all ego and id and Sammy being all superego? ;)

Esme uses familiars with Maitha and Theli, shortening their names. It struck me as odd, reminds me of the board, seeing Maitha instead of Maithanet)

I think if we'd gotten the whole scene of Esme Maitha and Theli conferring we might have learned too much.

Sarl might be a red herring, but wow there are an absolutely massive amount of little descriptions of the cracks, creases and crevasses of his face.

Kosotor is described along the lines of 'something rides him'

Cleric's mark is so intense that Akka notices it before he even sees where Cleric is seated. But he doesn't notice either Chorae or MArk before entering the tavern, do walls hide the metaphysical impact both of those have.

And there's something poetically interesting in seating a Mark like that and a Chorae so close together and as partners.

Something in the initial descriptions of Kosotor made me think of the biblical Lazarus story, I wonder if he is someone whom Kellhus raised from the dead? Is Kosotor our token zombie? (what's D&D without a zombie buddy?) Or. Rather than Kell bringing him back, perhaps the God that is using Kosotor as his avatar brought him back?

Interesting to reread the descriptions of the Coffers. Akka tells them some things about them and then thinks how these things are a lie, but they seem to fit with the WLW teaser of the Coffers. Also of note, all of the Skin Eaters seem to know that the coffers are inaccessible to them unless they have a sorcerer, in particular a Mandate sorcerer.

Cleric's mark is so intense that Akka notices it before he even sees where Cleric is seated. But he doesn't notice either Chorae or MArk before entering the tavern, do walls hide the metaphysical impact both of those have.

I don't think so. Akka and Cleric both sense the sranc horde in Cil Aujas by noticing the Chorae on the level below them. And Akka notices the Javreh with chorae when he goes god mode against the Spires.

Psatma just fucked herself young in a presumably ancient ritual that struck me as rather obscenely glorying in fucking in the manner of the Inchoroi (without the sadomasochismatic pain BS, though).

Psatma just fucked herself young in a presumably ancient ritual that struck me as rather obscenely glorying in fucking in the manner of the Inchoroi (without the sadomasochismatic pain BS, though).

I think it's more a counterpoint. Inchies use sex for control and gratification. Selfish reasons of taking. The Yatwer ritual is about giving. Psatma gives her maturity to the WLW and the WLW gives his youth ot Psatma. My take is that both benefited from the trade.

I think my thought was that the fetishization of menstrual blood, fucking while on a period, fucking in public as a ritual etc struck me as very "we are the race of lovers" type of thing. I mean that Psatma chick wasn't married to the white luck bro, so she should probably be stoned for that, right? The implicit thought I had (though it wasn't really fully formed) was that if the Inchoroi made the Tusk for the Hallaroi and the Tusk elucidates the Thousand Gods, then perhaps the Gods have a bit of Inchoroi in their outlook. That or Bakker is a horny twisted git.

Not that I mind having multiple Bakker threads going at once, but sometimes I'm a bit unsure where a given post belongs.

But on topic as far as Judging Eye re-read I had a thought about dragons. In Cil-Aujas before they actually see the bones of a dragon they talk about what they're like and Akka explains that without the No-God they wouldn't really want to deal with a group of people. I'm also reminded from Seswatha dreams and other stuff that dragons are intelligent and can speak. I wonder if at some point in the future we could get an encounter with a non-violent (at least at that time) dragon who talks to a character. I'm thinking kinda like Smaug in The Hobbit. Given that Cil-Aujas is such an obvious Moria tribute I wonder if there's any chance we could get a Smaug tribute of sorts.

But on topic as far as Judging Eye re-read I had a thought about dragons. In Cil-Aujas before they actually see the bones of a dragon they talk about what they're like and Akka explains that without the No-God they wouldn't really want to deal with a group of people. I'm also reminded from Seswatha dreams and other stuff that dragons are intelligent and can speak. I wonder if at some point in the future we could get an encounter with a non-violent (at least at that time) dragon who talks to a character. I'm thinking kinda like Smaug in The Hobbit. Given that Cil-Aujas is such an obvious Moria tribute I wonder if there's any chance we could get a Smaug tribute of sorts.

Oh golly I hope so. The dragons are my favourite part of this series.

Just before they enter Moria, the Fellowship is all crazy nervous about the boundary/gate into the abyss. Even though the Gates are unguarded/broken, they all Know where the gate is, and it leaves them uneasy, avoiding the boundary quite explicitly according to Akka.

All except Cleric, who steps over the invisible border the humans have all avoided in order to have his little statement about the Gates being unguarded.

So I think the humans are sensing the echo of the damnation from the prior gate to Cil Aujus, a gate that was destroyed. But the endless Stair gate at the other end of Moria is still intact, and is nearly their undoing.

Note also, that they scratch their mark on the pillar before entering, and when they get to the endless stair they AGAIN scratch their mark by all the other Companies that have reached this side. In other words, other companies got through Cil Aujus to the stair, marked it, and then were taken by the Gate, just as the skin eaters were nearly undone by the gate.