Dragon Age 2

Relic

What version is best? Xbox 360 or PC? I've a good PC but if the 360 version is better I'll go for it

My first instinct is the PC version - though I know that the controls for the console versions are supposed to be better this trip.

The advantage to the PC version is that if a devToolkit is released, player mods would be more easily accessible.

I haven't played them side/side for comparison though.

No, blood magic comes from demons. They were the ones who taught it to mankind. (They're also apparently somehow resistant to it, at least according to that old mage in Warden's Keep)

I don't remember that at all. It's rare enough in Thedas outside Tevinter (supposedly) that some demons may be the only ones with the knowledge readily available to teach it (DA:O) but I don't remember anywhere where it said it originated from Demons. Fairly certain lore-wise there's snippets of it either being learned from Elves by the Magisters of Tevinter, or by the Dumat the "Old God of Silence" .

Not that your answer couldn't be correct because of how ambiguous the lore is in regards to its origins, so I'm not discounting it. I just don't remember where in DA:O it said that or maybe I'm just not far enough into DA2.

I don't remember that at all. It's rare enough in Thedas outside Tevinter (supposedly) that some demons may be the only ones with the knowledge readily available to teach it (DA:O) but I don't remember anywhere where it said it originated from Demons. Fairly certain lore-wise there's snippets of it either being learned from Elves by the Magisters of Tevinter, or by the Dumat the "Old God of Silence" .

Not that your answer couldn't be correct because of how ambiguous the lore is in regards to its origins, so I'm not discounting it. I just don't remember where in DA:O it said that or maybe I'm just not far enough into DA2.

It's Avernus reasoning for pursuing his entire research into the Darkspawn Taint: Blood Magic wasn't working against the demons (who were the origin of it) and so he had to get at the problem from a different route.

I finished this last night and clocked in at 42 hours, which I think is a respectable game length. However, considering how much of that time was spent in re-treading and re-re-treading the same areas it is disappointing. Still, despite some egregious design faults (the aforementioned recycling, sometimes indecipherable convo wheel, all-combat everywhere, lack of a proper story, uneven difficulty level*) I was amazed to find that I kind of liked the game. It still effectively nailed me to my seat and played havoc with my schedule.

Choice-wise this game could have certainly taken a hint from the Witcher and given us a neutral path.

There's nothing I would have liked to do more than take that path and go to town on all their asses at the end. Now I had to choose between a batshit insane zealot and the vermin who collaborated with Dr. Frankenstein. Ugh. I chose the mages because Bethany was with them, but I couldn't help feeling a massive tool when after I resoundingly beat the first templar offensive Orsino went Baron Harkonnen on me. Thanks for the vote of confidence, O.

* Hybris and the high dragon wiped the floor with me, but I didn't even break a sweat in the finale. Weird.

GamePlay report from last night...

This is how the conversation should have gone before I headed into the Deep Roads:

Carver: "You're leaving me behind?" dry.gif

Me: "Yes, I'm taking Cloud*cough* Fenris, with me."

Carver: "Typical, you never give me a chance. You want all the glory for yourself!"

Me: "No, you moron. I need you to stay home and make sure that Uncle Gamlen doesn't screw things up worse than he already has. I wouldn't trust the bastard with a spork, let alone keeping mom safe."

Carver: "Why do I have to be a nursemaid?"

Me: "Get the knot out of your underoos and fuck'n grow up. The Deep Roads won't be a picnic in the park, I need to make sure mom is protected if I don't survive."

Carver: "Like you 'protected' Bethany?"

Me: "Oh yes, it was my fault that I was stuck in a cut-scene while an ogre made pudding out of her insides. I sure as hell didn't see you running to help either."

Carver: "Well...I..."

Me: "Look, I have to go be a hero - when you're a big boy and done with puberty, I'll look at giving you your very own sword."

Have I mentioned that I don't like Carver?

Romance report -

I like Fenris - tall, dark and broody is a weak spot for me.

But then, nothing says 'I love you' like Anders' proclaimation of: "I'll see them drown in blood before I let them hurt you." awww! :wub:

My impression of blood magic is that it's the only kind of magic not dependent on the fade for power. As it is fueled with ones own, or someone else's life force through blood there's really no reason to need the fade.

However, considering how long such practices has been outlawed, it is not strange that pretty much the only way to learn is to make a deal with a demon. In addition, blood magic not working on creatures of the fade makes a lot of sense this way. Much more so than it originating from them as all magic originates from the fade.

GamePlay report from last night...

This is how the conversation should have gone before I headed into the Deep Roads:

Carver: "You're leaving me behind?" dry.gif

Me: "Yes, I'm taking Cloud*cough* Fenris, with me."

Carver: "Typical, you never give me a chance. You want all the glory for yourself!"

Me: "No, you moron. I need you to stay home and make sure that Uncle Gamlen doesn't screw things up worse than he already has. I wouldn't trust the bastard with a spork, let alone keeping mom safe."

Carver: "Why do I have to be a nursemaid?"

Me: "Get the knot out of your underoos and fuck'n grow up. The Deep Roads won't be a picnic in the park, I need to make sure mom is protected if I don't survive."

Carver: "Like you 'protected' Bethany?"

Me: "Oh yes, it was my fault that I was stuck in a cut-scene while an ogre made pudding out of her insides. I sure as hell didn't see you running to help either."

Carver: "Well...I..."

Me: "Look, I have to go be a hero - when you're a big boy and done with puberty, I'll look at giving you your very own sword."

Have I mentioned that I don't like Carver?

Romance report -

I like Fenris - tall, dark and broody is a weak spot for me.

But then, nothing says 'I love you' like Anders' proclaimation of: "I'll see them drown in blood before I let them hurt you." awww! :wub:

Tobin you slay me. I was so happy when Carver died in the intro, playing as a warrior. He is such a little shit I cant imagin having him with me all the time.

My impression of blood magic is that it's the only kind of magic not dependent on the fade for power. As it is fueled with ones own, or someone else's life force through blood there's really no reason to need the fade.

However, considering how long such practices has been outlawed, it is not strange that pretty much the only way to learn is to make a deal with a demon. In addition, blood magic not working on creatures of the fade makes a lot of sense this way. Much more so than it originating from them as all magic originates from the fade.

There's absolutely no indication that blood magic doesen't come from the Fade. (or rather, that it doeen't affect the fade) Lyrium is the substance that seems to be used instead of blood for regular magic.

Tobin you slay me. I was so happy when Carver died in the intro, playing as a warrior. He is such a little shit I cant imagin having him with me all the time.

My honor to serve, :smug:

I've just started a playthrough as a mage. I get the feeling Carver may be permanently relegated to the B team. Even Fenris has to be better than him.

Honestly - as soon as I had anyone else to take with me, Carver got stuck at home.

Even neutral-good Aveline is easier to tolerate than brother dearest.

the ending..

i sided with the mages as well. but doing so fenris left me b/ well..he hates mages. but later on before the final battle he showed up with the templars and hawke said something like,"i thought you weren't a slave. join me!" and fenris goes,"..ummm alright" and walks over to my side. i just couldn't stop laughing. also, i had to kill anders for what he did.

Fenris doesn't strike me as being all that weak. Carver sucks tho, and he's a whiny little bitch. What happens if you leave him at home near the end of act 1? I started as a mage but switched to a rogue 10 hours into it.

Do you guys care to list who you think the best characters are? Did anyone pay to get the archer prince dude? He any good?

Sooo...my biggest issue with this game so far is the lack of locations. There are like 5 fucking maps that get reused over and over and over and it fucking sucks. As a game developer id be fucking embarrassed the 8th time i sent a player into the same fucking cave.

I finished it up this morning and overall, I really enjoyed the game. Worth the 30 quid.

The ending sorta took my by suprise as I had just killed the High Dragon (Had to switch it down to Hard as nightmare was just mad) and wanted to pop by the herbalist as his little quest icon was showing up on my map when everything just went mental between Orsinio and Meredith.

I left Bethany in Kirkwall during the expedition, so lost her to the circle for the remainder of the game, romanced first Isabella, then when no more romance options for her were available, turned to Merril for fear of turning up like lonely Uncle Galen. As soon as Merril moved in, Isabella showed interest again. Romanced her a bit more and she seemed alright with the whole Hawke/Merril thing but warned me not to hurt Merril, or she'd kill me.

Isabella nicked the Quinari relic but then returned it to the Arishok after the whole Quinari unrest thing, fought a duel over her which was basically ring around the pillars and whittle the horned giant down bit by bit.

I sided with the Mages too. Regarding the difficulty in the last battle. I also had quite and easy time of it but I had spent alot of time with all the party members, doing the quests and whatnot. Firstly Aveline wasn't up for fighting with the mages, but realised she would fight with the champion, no matter what. Fenris went all "Kill Mages", but after reminding him how Circle=Slavery, he saw the light.

I can see how much harder the last couple of fights would have been if:

1 Isabella hadnt come back

2 I'd have killed Anders

3 Fenris wouldnt have stayed with me

4 Aveline picked the Templars

My warrior was full specced 2-handed with 2 in Reaver and the rest split mostly into Vanguard with a little in Battle-Master

My first 4 were Anders, Merril and Varic and obv Hawke, if I hadnt have lost Bethany early on, I probably would have gone 3 mage 1 warrior for absolute carnage.

I'm eager to see what mystery event has both the Hero of Ferelden and the Champion of Kirkwall disappear

Fenris doesn't strike me as being all that weak. Carver sucks tho, and he's a whiny little bitch. What happens if you leave him at home near the end of act 1? I started as a mage but switched to a rogue 10 hours into it.

Do you guys care to list who you think the best characters are? Did anyone pay to get the archer prince dude? He any good?

Sooo...my biggest issue with this game so far is the lack of locations. There are like 5 fucking maps that get reused over and over and over and it fucking sucks. As a game developer id be fucking embarrassed the 8th time i sent a player into the same fucking cave.

Sebastian is a godlike archer (seriously, he's an archer-rogue with ranged versions of a couple of the dual-wield skills in his personal perk) He's kind of interesting personality-wise, but he's a bit like Zaeed and Kasumi in that he's not quite as developed.

Sebastian is a godlike archer (seriously, he's an archer-rogue with ranged versions of a couple of the dual-wield skills in his personal perk) He's kind of interesting personality-wise, but he's a bit like Zaeed and Kasumi in that he's not quite as developed.

worth 5 bucks?

I really liked Sebastian, but I can see how he might be a bit of a divisive character -- sort of like Aveline. He's a very pious --he's a priest-- law-biding type.

I will say this though, regardless of whether you like his personality, I think he's the best integrated DLC character Bioware has ever created; He's got just as much dialogue and content as all your other companions including some involving the Chantry Mother that are very informative.

I was a fan of pretty much every character this time around, but if I had to pick I'd go:

Varric>Merrill>Aveline>Sebastian>Isabela>Anders>Fenris

interesting. might pay for the DLC.

got a question for you guys. I'm totally confused by some of the shit in my inventory. For example i have Varric wearing a Ring(gotta love how many generic rings and belts there are in this game) that gives him a +3% to Physical damage. I'm assuming that means he does 3 percent more damage every time he uses a physical attack which his arrows should be. However the game rates the ring zero stars and unequigping it doesn't change my DPS. Meanwhile the game is giving a ring that grants +26 to attack (which moves my hit from 99% to 100%) with 5 stars.

help?

Archived