Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

Ah ok, I'm guessing the source that I saw that $200 billion from was dodgy then. Thought that might have been it when I asked you.

Does that include the effects of eg. income shortfall due to contamination for say, berry pickers, days of income lost in the immediate evacuation, etc?

Does that include the effects of eg. income shortfall due to contamination for say, berry pickers, days of income lost in the immediate evacuation, etc?

Ok so I got motivated to actually find where I got that number from, which was a "Top 10 most expensive disasters" list I had remembered reading last year, I don't think it was originally located on this site but it's duplicated here.

From that link

The total costs including cleanup, resettlement, and compensation to victims has been estimated to be roughly $200 Billion.

All these stupid Pearl Harbour comments will be compensated by other, equally stupid remarks, when the next quake/tsunami combo fucks up the American coast. The ring of fire goes all the way round, as circles tend to do. I can only hope that these fuckwits are not from California.

Also Fukushima seems like a one off, but there are other nuclear power plants in similar regions of the world. Diablo Canyon power plant maybe? I wonder if that one would fare much better than Fukushima under the same conditions, are American security standards superior?

If greater contamination is avoided in Japan, it's because they are damn lucky and because the wind blows in the right direction. Not because security prevailed. Their security systems failed we can only hope that greater contamination will be avoided. Maybe we're clever enough to reasses our own safety standards and procedures.

All these stupid Pearl Harbour comments will be compensated by other, equally stupid remarks, when the next quake/tsunami combo fucks up the American coast. The ring of fire goes all the way round, as circles tend to do. I can only hope that these fuckwits are not from California.

Like I said before, these cunts come out of the woodwork whenever a natural disaster strikes. I remember reading similar troll comments about the black victims of Hurricane Katrina.

If greater contamination is avoided in Japan, it's because they are damn lucky and because the wind blows in the right direction. Not because security prevailed. Their security systems failed we can only hope that greater contamination will be avoided.

Yeah. The problem here is that a large area will be irradiated. The Japanese government can't simply do a Chernobyl and isolate the whole region; Japan doesn't have enough space as it is.

Just read this:

The plant is designed with numerous safety features, many of which they used during this event and one of those features is pouring seawater into the reactor.

It's not a built in "safety feature", it's an ad hoc measure of last resort, which may work or not - we don't know because using mobile pumps to flood a reactor with sea water was never tested before. After this, the reactor will not be usable anymore because of the corrosive nature of sea water. The engineers have already decided that the whole thing is beyond recovery and are strictly going for measures to minimize possible contamination of the outside surroundings.

The problem here is that a large area will be irradiated.

I think it's too early to tell wether this will be the case. The wind blows out to the sea, so that's good and it seems like the inner shell of the reactor is still holing the pressure, so that's also good news.

It's not a built in "safety feature", it's an ad hoc measure of last resort, which may work or not - we don't know because using mobile pumps to flood a reactor with sea water was never tested before. After this, the reactor will not be usable anymore because of the corrosive nature of sea water. The engineers have already decided that the whole thing is beyond recovery and are strictly going for measures to minimize possible contamination of the outside surroundings.

That reactor wasn't long for this world even without the earthquake -- it was over 40 years old and they were planning on retiring it. Thus, it makes no sense to try to keep it salvageable (they weren't going to spend money repairing it) so they decided on maximum safety and flooded it with seawater.

Turned out to be a false alarm.

I've found this footage taken from the ground (at Kesennuma, if my kanji-reading is correct) right when the tsunami struck. One of the most terrifying things I've ever seen. (sorry it's a FB link, I couldn't find the direct one, if there even is one)

I've found this footage taken from the ground (at Kesennuma, if my kanji-reading is correct) right when the tsunami struck. One of the most terrifying things I've ever seen. (sorry it's a FB link, I couldn't find the direct one, if there even is one)

That is fucking terrifying.

This video is a collection of similar videos (though none quite as bad, no sound either). At 4:20 in this video you can see a wall of water breaking just before some houses.

I'm getting the impression they are calling a lot of false alarms. So the teams and the emergency crews are constantly being pulled back, and sent to higher ground. It's adding extra suck to the situation.

FB update from one of my friends in Sendai:

I would like to remind people that most areas of Sendai do NOT look like the images you have been seeing on the TV news. Yes, the areas near the sea took a severe beating but most of the town is OK (except for the loss of water, gas, and power). Power now seems to have been restored in most places. This city is down but it is a far cry from being out.

The mayor of Tokyo, if I'm thinking of the right guy, is a weird son of a bitch. Didn't he try to ban manga?

He was the governor of Tokyo back when I visited it. Apart from the manga ban, he regularly said stuff like "immigrants live like animals" and "Japan has a higher average IQ than the United States, because the blacks have dragged down the whites to their level" and "We must cleanse Roppongi of the Third World filth."

A total son of a bitch. But he keeps getting elected year after year, which can only mean that many Japanese people agree with his racist blathering.

Archived