Earthquake off the coast of Japan

Commodore

some people might find this fucked up, disturbing or sad, but I merely find it hilarious: http://i.imgur.com/r45RU.jpg

Holy mother of goats - this isn't a fake?

@Iceman, Scot, Geddon:

Let's not start discussing alterntive energy sources in this thread, allright? We could do that in a seperate thread, but then again, I don't think it'd be fruitful since you won't change my mind and I won't change yours (I guess) but if you guys want to, yeah why not.

I just read on Yahoo that this will not be like Chernobyl because this is a different type reactor. They claim the radiation should largely be contained to the plant grounds.

Scot,

Chernobyl was a run-away reactivity reaction causing a steam-explosion plus attendant hydrogen-explosion.

This is impossible in this case for the simple reason that the reactor is shut down, to repeat the chain reaction has died out.

What we are dealing here are cooling issues with the residual heat. He have about a 100 tons of fuel sitting in there with centerline temp of close to (depends on the reactor, don't quote me) 1800 K, additional the short lived radioactive elements are decaying, which also produces heat.

This will decline but in an exponential manner.

Modern reactors are build in a way that should be able to withstand the residual heating even with a total loss of pump power, but I'm not sure how up to date the Japenese are.

The explosion they reported seems to have been a hydrogen-explosion, which is bad news because it indicates that the temperature of the Zirconium cladding has increased above 1200 K at which point it start to react exothermically with steam, producing hydrogen, which can, well, explode.

At least the reactor vessel seems to be intact at this point in time, so it's not all bad news, though I am a little surprised that the containment vessel seems to be leaking like a sieve.

On the other hand, they did just go through a emmerich style earthquake, so there is that.

And still, after 40 years and surviving several strong earthquakes, they have managed without any serious mishap until now.

It's actually pretty amazing how well the Japanese have adapted to earthquakes. The problem with this one is that it's a genuine monster. For comparison, it is about 1000 times more powerful than the 7.0 MW one in Haiti last year that killed more than 300,000 people (the scale is logarithmic and each step corresponds to a little over a factor of 30). I think the Japanese should be able to handle the reactors -- their expertise with nuclear power is second to none.

some people might find this fucked up, disturbing or sad, but I merely find it hilarious: http://i.imgur.com/r45RU.jpg

While of course it doesn't matter in the current context, on the list of crimes of Imperial Japan, Pearl Harbor should be considered small potatoes. Barely makes the top 100. Certainly not the top 10.

nope. I searched a couple of those names on FB and saw the posts on their Wall.

That's some nastsy shit goin' on in those weirdo brains. Somehow I really want to beat the shit out of people who can enjoy such a sad event. That's just plain sick.

Let's not start discussing alterntive energy sources in this thread, allright? We could do that in a seperate thread, but then again, I don't think it'd be fruitful since you won't change my mind and I won't change yours (I guess) but if you guys want to, yeah why not.

Hey my friend, you started it. And in this instance are being silly. Unless you think 8.9 earthquakes near reactors are a common occurrence. Wait, that would be silly too.

Few have ever accused me of an undue amount of sympathy regarding the US of A, but really gents let's not pretend that there is a lack of jackasses in the rest of the world.

After these major tragedies, the jackasses and trolls in each country tend to come out of the woodwork. Now we're having these sick little American cunts. In the aftermath of the 9-11 attacks, we had Palestinians dancing and celebrating in the streets. This isn't just an American thing.

Hopefully, they'll die painful deaths.

Really? Seems a bit harsh for just being ignorant and shallow. Many of these people will get a taste of real life and tragedy in their own lives at some point and change their flippant lifestyles.

Most likely, they're just sexually inadequate teenage losers trying their hardest to offend people, like most internet trolls.

In fact, this is exceedingly unlikely.

And I less for FLoW thinking most Americans are amiable chaps.

Really? Most Americans are amiable chaps IMO. Even if many have strange to abhorrent ideas in their heads. I'd be disappointed if you thought less of me for thinking so.

As I said when I mentioned it the first time, the scariest thing here is that it's on FACEBOOK. These people are willing to put their real name behind these statements.

Anonymity on the internet, it appears, is not the cause of jackassery.

Archived