So we're having an election or something

Aemon Stark

Debates pretty good thus far. Opposition is hammering home the cotempt of parliament and contempt of democracy

Iggy: What are you afraid of?? Why are you afraid of the Canadian people?

(on kicking out a veteran who wanted to ask a question)

1. Why is Iggy drinking so much water?

2. I miss Lizzy. There are too many old white men in this "debate".

3. Duceppe is making Harper look good with his idiot racist protectionist bullshit.

Snaps a crime topic!

Edit:

"Mr Harper is tough on crime outside, soft on crime inside his circle."

-Mr duceppe

:bowdown:

Hate the separatist love the tounge.

2nd edit:

"I don't know why we need huge prisons, Mr Lavigne seems very happy in the senate."

-Mr Layton

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Harper looks very arrogant and didn't bother to answer any questions directly but instead parroted his talking points.

The question is will this strategy play as well as Canada as it does in the US where he got it from.

I give Layton the win tonight. Iggy sounded pretty arrogant (and childish, at times) for most of the night. His closing remarks to Layton we're pretty bad, IMO.

Harper and Duceppe pretty much said what I thought they would

I think Layton sounded desperate. I'm also a little unsure as to what exactly he thinks hes doing. The NDP will never be a viable federal party, but he's hurting some of his own causes by doing anything but attacking Harper.

If Harper gets a majority, people will see what idiots they have been. And if they do win, it'll be because Layton was firing at anything that moved hoping to win some seats and shooting himself in the foot while doing so.

Today I ended up leaving my purse and precious life valuables on the bus like a dumbass just as I got off the station right in front of Parliament. I of course ran like hell to retrieve it, but who the hell was blocking the entire frigging side walk just across from the Chateau Laurier, where I was running like a fool?

Government marchers! Aughhh! Whether it be Harper, Liberal, or NDP cronies, they were all seriously killing my speed as the bus zipped by and I mournfully watched everything of value I own disappear into the crowd.

Of all days to have a march and wank at each other!!! :tantrum:

/only tangibly related to politics

Later I did see a lady trying to break a Harper sign, which marginally cheered me up. But... darn it.

So apparently (I didnt hear it) when Harper was saying "....the party that wins the most seats, forms a government......" (or something like that) Iggy cut him off by saying ".....you can try....." then immediately back tracked.

Coalition coming if its a Harper minority, despite the repeated denial of Ignatieff?

Did you really think any different?

No, not really I guess.

Rather hypocritical though, no? Not saying Harper hasnt done anything hypocrtical, but for essentially calling an election because Harper's been dishonest, it seems wrong to continually deny a coalition is in the works.

I sure as hell dont want a coalition. Harpers right on one thing, it wont last long at all.

No, not really I guess.

Rather hypocritical though, no? Not saying Harper hasnt done anything hypocrtical, but for essentially calling an election because Harper's been dishonest, it seems wrong to continually deny a coalition is in the works.

I sure as hell dont want a coalition. Harpers right on one thing, it wont last long at all.

If the Canadian public wasn't so ignorant of how their political system works, it wouldn't be an issue.

But since a coalition government, despite being perfectly legit, is seen as the big boogeyman, you get the song and dance.

Plus, they are honest in that the Liberals don't want to have a coalition. They'd prefer a minority (or majority :P). But I'm sure they'll take what they can get.

And a coalition is better then another Conservative government.

As an NDP supporter, I thought Layton was horrible tonight. He was good on health care but otherwise was smug and didn't say anything of substance. He was particularly bad during the coalition question, when he lied (more on this later) but even worse when Gilles Duceppe asked him whether he supported Bill 101. Clearly didn't have the strength to say what he actually believes (no) but doesn't want to alienate Quebecers, so he stutters around like an idiot for four minutes while Duceppe repeats the simple yes or no question. Layton needs to step down sometime soon, je pense.

Much as I completely disagree with Duceppe on multiculturalism (very right that this is the only part of the debate Harper came off well in) and seperatism, otherwise I thought he was spot on and the best of the leaders in the debate. Spoke well, didn't stick to sound bytes. Good on him.

Iggy started off very well, especially when he hammered the Conservatives on authoritarianism and accountability. Went slightly downhill from there, as some of the arrogance came out and he became more flustered (particularly by Layton's very true statement that he has the lowest attendance record in all of Parliament. That's pretty disgraceful for the leader of the opposition). Less reliance on sound bytes would also be good. Still a good debate for him overall, I thought, and I think better of him than I did before.

As for Harper... The less said, the better. Every time he deflected a question by talking about the economy or lying I wanted to punch myself in the face. So, basically every question.

More generally: Can't say I liked the debating format. Sure, it was nice hearing questions from your average Canadian, some of which were good, but too much time is spent on issues that should be irrelevant- why do we need to talk about tough on crime for twenty minutes when our crime rate is low and has been decreasing for ages (other than that Harper wants to make it an issue, of course). Meanwhile, Libya, climate change, education, Aboriginals etc... are all ignored. Way to appeal to the youth vote, guys.

And onto the coalition. Thank the Jesus for Duceppe, because I wanted to slap everyone else so hard when this came up. Harper I expect it from, but Iggy and Layton, do you both seriously not have the strength to stand up to idiotic rhetoric and say what everyone in this country should know? We live in a Parliamentary democracy. In parliamentary democracies, the party that has the plurality of seats does not necessarily form a government. Nor do we elect prime ministers. Look at Australia. Look at Israel. Look at England, the founder of parlimanetary democracy. Coalition governments. They're the norm in minority government parliaments. Man the fuck up and fight the Harper propoganda machine. And Layton, don't fucking lie that you weren't willing to form a coalition two years back. So frustrating...

Yesterday Harper had a single digit lead. Now they are claming 21%. They are on fucking crack. Harper scored no real points in that debate, and no one else fucked up that badly. I have no idea where there numbers come from, aside from possibly their ass.

The only thing i really agreed with Layton on (man did he ever look like a smug litle fuck last night), was his call for proportional representation. No more first past the post system. The other parties will never agree to it, they see too much advantage from the current system, but he is right in calling out the fact that the Green Party gets nearly as many votes as the Bloc but has no seats.

And i too loved Gilles Ducepe last night. The man was a fucking saint. He might be a seperatist fuck, but he had some great points, and he really stuck to his guns. Considering that Quebec is such a vote rich province, i look forward to Harpers current missteps costing him votes there.

Any conservative Canadian boarders on here? How do people feel about Harpers night? I am actually most curious to see how cons feel about Harper basically betraying most of their values in a mad attempt for power.

Yesterday Harper had a single digit lead. Now they are claming 21%. They are on fucking crack. Harper scored no real points in that debate, and no one else fucked up that badly. I have no idea where there numbers come from, aside from possibly their ass.

The only thing i really agreed with Layton on (man did he ever look like a smug litle fuck last night), was his call for proportional representation. No more first past the post system. The other parties will never agree to it, they see too much advantage from the current system, but he is right in calling out the fact that the Green Party gets nearly as many votes as the Bloc but has no seats.

And i too loved Gilles Ducepe last night. The man was a fucking saint. He might be a seperatist fuck, but he had some great points, and he really stuck to his guns. Considering that Quebec is such a vote rich province, i look forward to Harpers current missteps costing him votes there.

Any conservative Canadian boarders on here? How do people feel about Harpers night? I am actually most curious to see how cons feel about Harper basically betraying most of their values in a mad attempt for power.

Ive voted NDP, Green, and Conservative in the past. Conservative leaning boards im a part of dont necassarily give Harper a win last night, but definitely dont give him a loss.

I agree with Layton on proportional representation. His quote about the Bloc and the Greens was perfect.

Anywho, the National Post poll gives Harper a clear win last night

Here

As does CP24, a Toronto based news station.

Here

Archived