Deaths in the series?

Like I said, I am sure this has been asked but although I am not new to this forum (I have been posting on it since the old page) I am fairly new to the TV Show subforums, and my initial searches in this question have showed up nothing, so if any of you know the thread link, please tell me.

Anyways my question is regarding to major plot turns in the books, like the sudden deaths of some characters, and how it will be portrayed in the show. I say deaths for season 1 beacuase that is the biggest plot turn I can think of for GoT novel for any first time reader. From what I have seen and read of the pilot, it seems that everyone is respecting the books highly. It seems the 2 producers are staying very true to novels for almost everything. Now the casting of Bean (and Dinklage for that matter but it does not apply here) were not only favorites of Martin but most fan's. I would hate to see HBO extend any characters life for profit or for a reinterptiaon or something to that effect. Does anyone know for sure how there handling this? I think it would be a disater to change this and it would hook people if they keep it the same.

Also it would be great if someone gathers the major plot differences from book to show. I know theres 100's of minor things, but as I can see so far from just the little clips I have seen, It seems like overall, there staying very true. So not just the deaths, does anyone know if there are any major plot differences so far? Sorry if I didn't research as hard as I could for this answer.

No, no one knows, except for the people who made the show and (by now) a few critics who have seen some of the episodes. There's been a lot of analysis/nitpicking discussion of the little bits we've seen in preview clips, but as far as I can remember, nearly all the differences people have come up with so far have been about how the actors/costumes/sets looked, or some nuances of dialogue that implied that someone's personality might come across a little differently than they had imagined. The only things I know of that would count as plot changes at all were 1) the character who escapes from the prologue and is executed is not Gared, and 2) we don't see the Blackfish in the Vale, his duties are handled by Vardis Egan. And there are probably a few chronological tweaks, since they've put Robert's Rebellion about 3 years further in the past and aged up the characters accordingly. But again, this is all just based on tiny clips.

Martin has said that they're generally sticking close to the book, for what it's worth.

My thought is that some characters may live slightly longer into the season, but by the time season 1 wraps up all the characters that should be dead, will be. Personally, one of those I would not mind having the moment of death be a little prolonged for one of the major characters cause, frankly, he's friggen hot and from the start he and Littlefinger were my favorite casting. But I think that the producers recognized the deaths as something very important to the series and anything important will be retained in the tv show. Previous HBO programs have not shied away from early deaths of stars, but then again I guess they kept one major one in True Blood alive - but that's really different source material and nothing important hinged on her death (from what I've heard).

There's a thread for a FAQ for the show stickied near the top of this forum; but I haven't read it, so I don't know what's in it. The show hasn't aired, so few people know the details of how it compares to the books. Like mummer posted, the Blackfish will not be appearing in season one, nor the other Tullys, according to GRRM. Supposedly they will appear in a hypothetical season 2, but since that hasn't been cast yet (though maybe some episodes have been written, but that's just speculation, and any scripts can be changed anyway) there's no way to know for sure.

As hard as the deaths were in the books I have to admit I am looking forward to them in the show. First I know they will be heart breaking. Secondly I will enjoy the look on my in-law's faces since they have not read the books. My hubby just finished A Game of Thrones (we read it out loud together) so he at least knows what happens. I told him if he wanted to see the show we had to finish the first book at least :lol:

We know they shot the steps of Baelor's Sept scene. Several members of the cast and crew mentioned it was happening during the production; the fact of it being shot go reported. I remember Lena Headey posted something on her Facebook page about having to get prepared for a "very pivitol" scene she was about to do in a day or two, which was referring to that as well. It seems like everyone was taking it as a very big deal, like it was the most important they'd be shooting in the season. Also, we have seen shots in the previews of Arya standing on the plinth at the feet of the statue of Baelor during that scene. That moment is happening.

Ned's death will be extremely predictable, because it's Sean Bean who is playing him. He is always killed off in nearly every teevee series/movie. So viewers may not know WHEN he will bite the bullet, but they will know that he WILL.

Ep 6 is called The Golden Crown. So that's when Viserys passes from this realm, presumably (sad to say because Harry Lloyd looks absoluty incredible as Vis). Which seems as early as in the books, so looks like they're sticking to a very similar timeline for the first season.

Ned's death will be extremely predictable, because it's Sean Bean who is playing him. He is always killed off in nearly every teevee series/movie. So viewers may not know WHEN he will bite the bullet, but they will know that he WILL.

I'm not sure everyone knows that. I didn't until somebody pointed it out to me. And even then I was thinking that he wasn't killed off on Sharpe. *shrug*

Ep 6 is called The Golden Crown. So that's when Viserys passes from this realm, presumably (sad to say because Harry Lloyd looks absoluty incredible as Vis). Which seems as early as in the books, so looks like they're sticking to a very similar timeline for the first season.

How do you know? i knew the titles til the ep 4...

EDIT: nevermind, just found the thread

LOL

Archived