Fifteen Minute Preview

Westeros

I was mightily miffed by the simple fact that we had fifteen minutes of blank screen at 10pm local time. Guess there was some restriction on showing the preview outside of the US.

The dudes that chased after Gared and chopped off his head were Others. We see a wight, the little girl. They are retaining the distinction between Others and wights.

The "sound" of them is actually very much what's described in the books: voices like "cracking ice". It's an actual language developed by David J. Peterson and the Language Creation Society. Which amazed me, really.

hiver,

The prologue was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Bryan Cogman writes episode 4.

The husband (none reader) loved it and also thought it too short. But he did have me to help out. He asked about the opening scene, and I filled in some of the details.

My bf really liked it and he actually said he's going to check out The Maester's Path too - which is SOOOOO unlike him. He hates fantasy (likes sci-fi though, go figure) but he was digging it and everything else. He also asked me a few questions like, why is there snow if winter is coming, is it a different time (as in the past) etc and I had to explain that they were really far north - but I'm sure if I hadn't been there to answer his questions then he would have figured it out soon enough when they started talking about the wall.

So much so that they let Will go. :bs:

Why not? Gared got away in the book. Also in the books, we first see the Others attacking humans in the prologue of the first book, yet they still haven't gotten to the Wall by the end of three books, covering a period of something like two years (this despite two of their wights being found near the Wall in the very first book, and wights don't seem to travel any faster than Others). So, in the books the Others don't seem to be too concerned with either 1) allowing humans to escape them, or 2) with finishing off their enemies in any kind of a speedy fashion.

Very nice preview. Some changes take a small while to get used to but that's what you need to do as otherwise there's no point in watching adaptations. If I want what's in the book I can read the book and no TV/film adaptation will ever reach the level of a good book.

The preview felt incredibly short but that just teaches you how much they need to fit into the time they have. Must be very hard work. The prologue was effective and will definitely teach new viewers that something is very wrong. My only question that affects readers and non-readers alike is why the creatures are called 'the white walkers'? That's not really the name that comes to mind when you see those dark things. I don't have that much problems with Will being let go though. The Others are mocking and playing with Ser Waymar in the novel so it doesn't feel completely outlandish to send the pathetic human running in fear.

We see little enough of the Starks but the acting seems good across the board. Sean Bean is naturally the one that stands out the most as he has the most diverse things to do. Now I want to see the rest...

Two beheadings in 15 minutes. If that rate continues, Season One will have 80 beheadings. :)

There is still a chance Theon will plack Kick the Head since the last thing we see is the execution scene. Perhaps the scene was not yet over, it had a couple minutes left, but they didn't want a 17 minute preview or for it to end with Theon's morbid fun.

The show is not the book. The Others behave differently, obviously, and I've offered my views as to what's going on in that scene.

I'm going to close this thread, anyways, as the GoT forum as a Book Spoiler thread that's quite active concerning the preview. No reason to split discussion over much.

Archived