Ratings Climb in 4th Week

Westeros

More good news for Game of Thrones this week, on both sides of the pond. In the U.S., James Hibberd of Entertainment Weekly has again gotten the scoop: ratings are up a tenth of a point from last week, to a total of 2.5 million viewers on the initial viewing. More numbers will probably roll in later in the day, so well-worth taking a look at. And over in the U.K., the show had a whopping 20% jump in viewership on Monday, according to Digital Spy, from 510,000 to 628,000 viewers. Of course, last weekend was a holiday, but still—a strong showing.

Visit the Site!

From the same EW article:

Season to date, Thrones is averaging 8.3 million once all repeats and platforms are counted.

I know the "first airing" is the big number that people seem to pay attention to, but it misses the so-called "repeat viewing" later on the same night (which might more accurately be called "first airing for west-coast viewers") and on-demand/online views. A total audience averaging 8.3 mil a week seems pretty great to me!

From the same EW article:

I know the "first airing" is the big number that people seem to pay attention to, but it misses the so-called "repeat viewing" later on the same night ...

I will post encore/DVR numbers, Nielsen ratings and HBO On Demand totals when those data are available.

HBO's new fantasy series Game of Thrones continues its gradual ratings ascent. In Week 4 on Sunday, it drew 2.5 million viewers, up from 2.4 million for the premiere airing the week before. However, its combined audience for the night, 3.1 million, was on par with Week 3.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/hbos-game-of-thrones-inches-up-again-lady-gaga-does-solid-business-too/

Edit: James Hibberd news had already the combined audience numbers, so sorry for not-so-news.

Here are the Nielsen ratings:

Game of Thrones (HBO, 9:03pm, 55 minutes)

- 2.451 million viewers

- 1.5/2 HH

- 1.1/3 A18-49

Compare this to the ratings for episode 3:

Game of Thrones (HBO, 9:02pm, 56 minutes)

- 2.438 M viewers

- 1.5/2 HH

- 1.1/3 A18-49

As you can see, the difference is quite small, but at least the ratings aren't dropping.

I've explained what the numbers mean here.

Source:

Sunday Cable Ratings

What are the DVD/Blu-ray sales going to be like? The ratings are an important indicator for that, and I think people who've invested 4 hours of TV time into the series are in it for 10, so they obviously like it.

If average whole week numbers remain in the low 8 million through is there any data from other TV series indicating likely DVD/Blu-ray sales? 5%, 10% 20%?

I wonder what some of the figures are for their other shows as a reference.

HBO's co-president and programming president said that the viewer count (across all platforms) was substantially higher than True Blood (when comparing season one for each series). They're very satisfied with the numbers.

What about the ratings including the combined audience for this fourth episode?

The Nielsen ratings do not cover HBO On Demand or HBO Go. HBO publishes these combined viewer counts later.

What are the DVD/Blu-ray sales going to be like? ... If average whole week numbers remain in the low 8 million through is there any data from other TV series indicating likely DVD/Blu-ray sales? 5%, 10% 20%?

It's hard to predict, but when season one of True Blood was released on DVD/Blu-Ray back in 2009, it generated an estimated $17 M in sales in just one week. That's a substantial amount of money for a TV series. I believe GoT will continue to grow in popularity as positive word-of-mouth spreads, and I think the series will sell well on DVD/Blu-Ray after season one.

Archived