[No Spoilers] So I just discovered that E08 is going to be written solely by GRRM...

valacirca

This is probably not the right spot for that discussion -- either the Ep 10 section or a non-ep-specific forum would be better, but you were vague and I'll reply in kind. There has been an interview with people involved in that final*** scene, and yes it will be similar* to the books, and yes they've been focusing on it very intently, and no it's not actually done yet**.

* Probably very close to the same, but nothiing will be identical, so i just use 'similar' here.

** Was not done as of the time of the interview. Might be done today, might not.

*** I'm guessing it'll be the final shot, though that wasn't totally confirmed.

You are absolutely correct in my posting in the wrong place... apologies.

Okay, I've been deliberately avoiding episode summaries and previews as I watch the show, because I love not knowing exactly how they'll play it next - but this time I couldn't resist checking this thread. GRRM writing this episode would be so awesome. Maybe he bullied them into finally including the direwolves properly. I have not been happy with the absence of the wolves so far.

Either a ToJ flashback or a Mad King-murdering-the-Starks flashback would be so amazing, but I also want to see Bran's dreams become more detailed. Bran's storyline is actually one of my favorites, and I really can't wait to see it all on screen.

I hate waiting for Sundays now. With all its flaws, I'm loving this show.

If they do that instead of the Tower of Joy I'll be pissed.

Well, I suspect we won't be getting the Tower of Joy flashback this season, so I'd suggest you prepare yourself for it now so you can relax and enjoy what I'm sure will be an otherwise excellent episode. I loved the scene in the book, but I don't think it's necessary for the TV show, and this sort of nightmare scenario could be just as interesting to watch (I'm kind of excited to get a glimpse of Aerys). If the events in tower are truly that important for viewers to find out, there's no reason they couldn't show us the flashback later. These aren't the books, so the flashback doesn't have to even be through a PoV character.

GRRM writing this episode would be so awesome. Maybe he bullied them into finally including the direwolves properly. I have not been happy with the absence of the wolves so far.

This isn't how TV or Film works, unfortunately. Martin probably has an amazing amount of control for a writer, but writers in general have almost zero say in production decisions.

This is important because the lack of wolves is not a writing decision; it's been a production decision. No one wanted to cut the wolves, but there's an old axiom in film to avoid the ABC's - Animals, Boats and Children. They are expensive nightmares. And GoT couldn't get rid of the Children, so cutting back on the Animals make economic sense.

It's unfortunate, and it's hurt the production. And hopefully, they are saving cash for other elements to come -- dragons, other direwolf scenes, battles, etc. But it's also important to recognize as plot driven as the work can be, the tv show is going to be much more conversation driven - simply because of money. The Walking Dead got its budget cut recently, and shows are cut short all the time.

I'd rather have a Season 3 than extra direwolves now or a wide-scale Battle of the Breakwater, or a flashback to the Tower of Joy. I'm not saying every money/art decision has been made right or will be made right, but it helps to realize that these are not artistic decisions, they are cost/benefit decisions.

There won't be a tower of joy scene because they haven't been cast. And the writers have said they will not have flashback scenes. So...that's Ned. I'm guessing maybe they've changed up the method of his execution.

This isn't how TV or Film works, unfortunately. Martin probably has an amazing amount of control for a writer, but writers in general have almost zero say in production decisions.

This is important because the lack of wolves is not a writing decision; it's been a production decision. No one wanted to cut the wolves, but there's an old axiom in film to avoid the ABC's - Animals, Boats and Children. They are expensive nightmares. And GoT couldn't get rid of the Children, so cutting back on the Animals make economic sense.

It's unfortunate, and it's hurt the production. And hopefully, they are saving cash for other elements to come -- dragons, other direwolf scenes, battles, etc. But it's also important to recognize as plot driven as the work can be, the tv show is going to be much more conversation driven - simply because of money. The Walking Dead got its budget cut recently, and shows are cut short all the time.

I'd rather have a Season 3 than extra direwolves now or a wide-scale Battle of the Breakwater, or a flashback to the Tower of Joy. I'm not saying every money/art decision has been made right or will be made right, but it helps to realize that these are not artistic decisions, they are cost/benefit decisions.

I don't think it was the cost. The type of dogs they used are not really easily trainable. Kit Harrington said in an interview that they tried for a very long time with some direwolf scenes but they just didn't come off to the satisfaction of the director/producers so they had to be severely cut back. I'm wondering if it might have been a better choice to go with a breed of dog that looks less like a wolf but is more trainable.

The Kit Harrington interview is on youtube if anyone wants to check it out.

There won't be a tower of joy scene because they haven't been cast.

Lots of speaking roles for this show haven't been revealed.

And the writers have said they will not have flashback scenes.

It's confirmed that they cast the Mad King. That's at least one flashback.

This is great. I'm looking forward to seeing what Old GM can do...

Let's hope it's not on par with Beauty and the Beast. I remember watching that show in the 80's; as a kid it's was tough to view. This, however, is a different game... A game of thrones. He'll nail it.

Archived