Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

I finally got up to date for the year. I will now use to it track what i read from here on out. And I will search through the Westeros group and try to figure out who people are.

Was apparently a member for about a year, but did some updating today. I've 200 odd moved over. I'd kill for them to just import my library thing books, but the import doesn't seem to work for me. Grr.

I'm going to focus on getting up to date first I think, then tagging / shelving / reviewing.

Joined the westeros group though.

Ok, going nuts. How do I get the visual favorites that all you have on my profile page? I know how to set up a shelf for them, but not display them all nicely. Help!

Oh, and this is me.

try the Widgets tab on My Account (accessible from the drop down by your name on the top right)

• 1 month later...

I had some random person post a flame on one of my reviews yesterday. That was kind of exciting. I left a one-star review of a book I hated so much I abandoned after 20 pages - Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth; I'd read American Pastoral which was longer and I hated more as I read more, so I figured for this one I'd just spare myself the trouble.

So my random visitor called me an idiot. It was only a two-sentence flame. So maybe not that exciting after all.

I had some random person post a flame on one of my reviews yesterday. That was kind of exciting. I left a one-star review of a book I hated so much I abandoned after 20 pages - Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth; I'd read American Pastoral which was longer and I hated more as I read more, so I figured for this one I'd just spare myself the trouble.

So my random visitor called me an idiot. It was only a two-sentence flame. So maybe not that exciting after all.

I got flamed by someone who thought me calling the sentence ""I haven't drive in three years and the car handles like a shopping trolley on Rohypnol." a metaphor was an insult to all things literary since it was clearly a simile.

Last I checked a simile was a form of metaphor.

• 1 month later...

Goodreads has its annual 'best fantasy book' poll open. You can write in candidates & there are 15 official nominees selected they tell me by:

We analyzed statistics from the 87 million books added, rated, and reviewed on the site in 2011 to list 15 books in 22 categories--that's 330 nominations. We did not consult a panel of experts or form a secret committee of publishing insiders. Readers know what's good and what's great. These nominations are based on a book's number of ratings and average rating as pegged by the more than 6 million members on Goodreads. So a nomination is truly an honor because it comes from your readers!

The 15 being:

The Wise Man's Fear - Rothfuss (no surprise here, has ~15,000 ratings!)

A Dance With Dragons - Martin (again no surprise, has ~15,000 ratings)

Snuff - Pratchett (his 50th book!)

The Heroes - Abercrombie (I should read this man!)

The Magician King - Grossman

Naamah's Blessing - Carey

Deathless - Valente

The Night Circus - Morgenstern (HUGE push behind this release)

Rogue - Canavan

One of our Thursdays is missing - Fforde

Black Veil - Britain (not heard of this author)

Among Others - Walton (not heard of this author)

Don't Breath A Word - McMahon (not heard of this author)

Twilight's Dawn - Bishop (not heard of this author)

& Prince of Thorns - Lawrence!

My not knowing of some of the authors is surely a reflection on the limited fantasy reading I've managed these past few years. Anyhow I'm amazed to have slipped in there and am sure to get <1% of the votes, but it's certainly an honour to rub such august shoulders :)

Get in there, vote for your favorite and may the best GRRM win!

Goodreads is horrible for recommendations. I signed up, put on some Dostoevsky, Steinbeck, McCarthy, Orwell, Murakami and got.... Twilight and Drizzt for recommendations. Right. I'm sticking with Amazon recommendations, at least they recommend me Grapes of Wrath.

Goodreads is horrible for recommendations. I signed up, put on some Dostoevsky, Steinbeck, McCarthy, Orwell, Murakami and got.... Twilight and Drizzt for recommendations. Right. I'm sticking with Amazon recommendations, at least they recommend me Grapes of Wrath.

You're right there - I put stuff quite similar to yours and got ... Anne of Green Gables! I also got an outraged review from an Anne of Green Gables fan who had been recommended my book... :)

Haven't noticed Goodreads recommendations as being worse than Amazon, so far mine look okish as a not totally wild set of offerings of things I might be interested in. With Amazon I get the feeling their algorithm is slanted towards my most recent purchases, over time their recommendations have got worst for me and less likely to suggest books that are interesting to me.

But its all maths applied to judgements that are entirely subjective. A nice toy but not something to take terribly seriously.

Archived