Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

• 1 month later...

There. I just friend requested some of you w similar book tastes. Although, good reads stopped me mid-friending to say I'd sent too many requests today. Ha. I didn't know there was a daily limit! Good Reads thinks I'm a bot.

Sabby were you the one that added me today? Honored to have similar reading tastes :) (I interpret this as good taste :lol:)

Well I can't say as to whether what we both have is good taste, but it is certainly similar!

Everyone who writes reviews for their books: thank you. I really like reading people's thoughts and not just a star rating, especially when there's no way to know what their rating scale is.

Everyone who doesn't write reviews: you should consider starting. I can't speak for everyone but if there is no text then I will probably just gloss over your entries. I cannot imagine I'm alone in that.

Just everyone: When you send me a friend request, please, please at least tell me where you're from. I'd prefer to know who you are here, but I'd settle for "Westeros." Sometimes I can identify your point of origin based on mutual friends, sometimes not. If I can't figure out where you came from then probably your friend request will vanish forever, unanswered, into Purgatory.

Also, when you comment on or like stuff I write, I love you a little bit. No pressure.

Everyone who doesn't write reviews: you should consider starting. I can't speak for everyone but if there is no text then I will probably just gloss over your entries. I cannot imagine I'm alone in that.

Sorry, Ini, I just don't have the time for this. Trust me, I'd love to be able to write reviews of what I'm reading but my life is so insane right now that I just don't have the energy, or the time. Maybe in a couple of years? If that means you'll ignore what I read, that's fine. :) When I do get the chance I always post my thoughts about the books I've read in the Monthly Reading thread here, but that's all I can manage.

For the record, I don't really like the star rating system either because it doesn't give you the option to give half stars. Also, like you said, there's also no way of knowing what criteria people are using when they give their ratings. Take me and aMoL, for instance. I gave it 5 stars not for the stellar writing but for what it is and for what it signifies for me personally.

Also, Westeros Goodreads people, do as the man said and send a little message along with the friend request, saying who you are. It takes no time at all.

Archived