Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

I'm more amused at fact people follow my reviews at all!

Haven't the patience to write out proper long informative reviews for things, and mine usually come out as hyper rambles in 10~20 words!

Hmm. Just come across a guy with 35708 books on his to read list. He hasn't put down his age but at a rate of one book a week that would take him 686 and a half years to read. Are there libraries in Heaven and Hell?

i'd think that a hell would be fully stocked with all possible writings of all possible worlds. a heaven, by contrast, must adhere to the strict monological pronouncements of its governing authority, which may or may not allow for writings in the first place, and surely would not allow for contentious dialogic space when it comes to points of doctrine. given that doctrine in totalitarian theisms covers the whole of ideology, contention must be abolished. some might say that this is merely the side effect of the apocatastasis that comes with the day of judgment, but that's just apologia.

i'd think that a hell would be fully stocked with all possible writings of all possible worlds. a heaven, by contrast, must adhere to the strict monological pronouncements of its governing authority, which may or may not allow for writings in the first place, and surely would not allow for contentious dialogic space when it comes to points of doctrine. given that doctrine in totalitarian theisms covers the whole of ideology, contention must be abolished. some might say that this is merely the side effect of the apocatastasis that comes with the day of judgment, but that's just apologia.

Damn it, this actually makes sense to me :eek: *runs away screaming*

Heaven, standing in this thread for a rather non-deistic meaning of utopia, becomes perforce Orwellian? Your stale reactionarism disappoints me. The veil of romance you draw over 'hell' - ie, hedonism, rebeliousness, self indulegence, minor wickedness, etc - is just more of the same old construct of the capitalist cult of the postmoral hyper-individual bourgeoise consumer.

Funny. I was imagining Heaven and Hell in this case as places that have a purely religious functionality. Therefore in Hell, as it is a place of punishment, you would be forcibly exposed to books that would torment you, for example enforced readings of 'Twilight' should you happen to dislike that no doubt fine piece of world literature interspersed with seminars or lectures devoted to the joint appreciation of the bits deemed most favourable by Twilight's fans. Fans of twilight however would be be given something very different to read.

On the other hand in Heaven the only works available would be the spiritually correct and morally uplifting.

And who should doubt this, for the reader after all the true paradise is a library with comfortable seats.

On the other hand in Heaven the only works available would be the spiritually correct and morally uplifting.

so both of these options are awful then. Pretty sure my Berserk & aSoIaF obsessions alone disqualifies any "morally uplifting" points for all eternity

Time to build our own heaven! With planet-Starbucks, blackjack and hookers

Archived