Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

So i just sorted the books I have into shelves. *sigh* so many more shelves I need and so many books I need to add.

Especially annoying are tracking down books I know I've read but not the exact name!

Come on - they are all crying out for ASOIAF. And Madalina would love it too, right up until AFFC when it all starts to go wrong for Cersei and Jaime.

One does have to wonder about all of the people who are asking for some kind of romance recommendation, and whether those people would be into Sansa/Sandor.

huh, I hadn't looked at the recommendations thing before - I assumed it was an amazon type automated thing, but its not - its actual, random people asking for recs. Now i'm gleefully going through and recommending stuff to innocent strangers! Its like a jungle out there!

So I finally went and did this--it was fun! A couple people even thanked me for my random recommendations of obscure books!

I rec'd ASOIAF a couple times too, but that seems almost too easy at this point.... somebody who's looking for fantasy and hasn't heard of ASOIAF by now, with the show and everything, isn't looking very hard.

So I finally went and did this--it was fun! A couple people even thanked me for my random recommendations of obscure books!

I rec'd ASOIAF a couple times too, but that seems almost too easy at this point.... somebody who's looking for fantasy and hasn't heard of ASOIAF by now, with the show and everything, isn't looking very hard.

No one's thanked me at all...sulk. Maybe my recommendations suck?

BTW, do we wanna do a collective shelf of our favorite books? I was thinking we could maybe make the group bookshelf according to Watrels list that the forum voted on a while ago, and do a regular shelf with a distinctive title (Westeros Recommends, say,) that no one else is going to shelve books in, in which we all shelf whatever we want (with, say, rules like no shelving asoiaf and only the first books of series,) and then that will sort itself according to how many people recommend each book for a sort of 'what to read next' reading list.

Sounds good to me too. So we could vote on it--sort of like Listopia, except we could keep random people from popping in and voting for Twilight?

Hm, we could just do listopia...I mean, if people start deliberately looking up our list and adding crap to it...thats war and I am all up for that. (We could dramatically battle Tairy minions across Goodreads, but I don't think they believe in cooperation to that extent.)

Ok, whatever, before things get too complicated:

I've shelved my very favorite SF books, the best of the best, the simply mindblowing and utterly enjoyable, flawless stuff that I would recommend to just about anyone without a single caveat, as

Westeros-superlative-sci-fi

the same for fantasy in:

Westeros-favorite-fantasy

I figure no one is going to stumble on those tags by accident... (I wanted to do wackier alliteration, but it has a character length limit on shelf names. :()

My rule is first books only, but only of properly consecutive series. Its ok to shelve multiple Discworlds or Culture books, but only #1 of Malazan or WOT or such. Its ok to shelve a book in both SF and Fantasy too, I think. Some books are like that

so, shelve away, anyone who wants to, and if anyone can figure out how to do a listopia list, i'm all up for that too, I just haven't really figured out how the votes there work, and I can never remember what books I'd want to vote for when looking at it like that, while with shelving I can batch edit and just go through everything, but maybe thats just me.

Ah, monday morning. Sitting down to do some honest work, maybe pause for a cup of tea, with absolutely no intention of fucking around on the internet.

DAMN YOU.

Why did I discover this? It is addictive and I am ... I'm Martina. Pleased to meet you.

Ah, monday morning. Sitting down to do some honest work, maybe pause for a cup of tea, with absolutely no intention of fucking around on the internet.

DAMN YOU.

Why did I discover this? It is addictive and I am ... I'm Martina. Pleased to meet you.

Hi Martina! I'm Tamara, I have an exam in Enviormental Geography tommorow, and if I just read a few more not even all that boring papers, i'm sure i'll be able to do just fine. However, i'm doing this instead. So pleased to have company! ;)

Hi Martina! I'm Tamara, I have an exam in Enviormental Geography tommorow, and if I just read a few more not even all that boring papers, i'm sure i'll be able to do just fine. However, i'm doing this instead. So pleased to have company! ;)

Hmm, doesn't even sound all that boring, as such. Company is indeed nice, especially as I'm still getting the hang of it.

I am just getting started adding the books to my read list, and then comes the dreaded task of categorizing. Might just steal your nifty organization of your shelves.

...Work. Sigh.

Hmm, doesn't even sound all that boring, as such. Company is indeed nice, especially as I'm still getting the hang of it.

I am just getting started adding the books to my read list, and then comes the dreaded task of categorizing. Might just steal your nifty organization of your shelves.

Go for it, though i'm not sure what possibly purpose my down-to-city-level geographic tagging has. Someday, i'll read another book set in Bern, and then i'll know I've read two! Go me? I keep trying to come up with more idiosyncratic shelves too, its more fun. Someone I just recced a book to has shelves like 'in love with the villain', which I want to steal.

(enviormental geo ain't bad - lots of academic BITCHPLZ REALITY HERE snarking at economics...)

BITCHPLZ REALITY HERE

Which is anything you could ever want from uni papers.

And also,

Moahahahahaha, I just realized this lets me categorize atwood and ishiguro as sci-fi once and for all. Sweet sweet justice.

I am fairly sure I have more books in common with Vrana than anybody else. It seems we have read a lot of the same SF/F and also a lot of the same random other literature.

I have yet to delve into esoteric shelving, but maybe I should put some thought into it. Seems like a way to leave one's stamp on the site.

BTW, do we wanna do a collective shelf of our favorite books? I was thinking we could maybe make the group bookshelf according to Watrels list that the forum voted on a while ago, and do a regular shelf with a distinctive title (Westeros Recommends, say,) that no one else is going to shelve books in, in which we all shelf whatever we want (with, say, rules like no shelving asoiaf and only the first books of series,) and then that will sort itself according to how many people recommend each book for a sort of 'what to read next' reading list.

Did you mean creating, say, a "If you like Kay then you should try X" shelf? If we did this for all major authors then maybe all the floob rec threads could be solved once and for all!

And oh man is this site brilliant for an OCD bibliophile. So many ways of categorising, organising and cataloguing your reads! Not that I'm obsessive about classifying my books or anything... :leaving:

I am fairly sure I have more books in common with Vrana than anybody else. It seems we have read a lot of the same SF/F and also a lot of the same random other literature.

I have yet to delve into esoteric shelving, but maybe I should put some thought into it. Seems like a way to leave one's stamp on the site.

Haha, cool. I am still trying to get the list right, so I'm looking through everyone's 'read' list to jolt my memory. But should I be listing books I need to be reminded of? Will have to think about that one.

Non-fiction I am having a bit of a time trying to hunt down, but seeing as I have now gladly wasted my afternoon on this I don't see how a few more hours will hurt.

Thank you, all of you who are shelving your books. This has made nosing around your reading far easier for me!

I'm tempted to do this, but still feeling too shy on Goodreads to do this, er apart from obviously the couple of recommendations I have made.

Sounds good to me too. So we could vote on it--sort of like Listopia, except we could keep random people from popping in and voting for Twilight?

I like the voting idea. Also I like having an open list in that our tastes change, new books come along, old books are remembered, that kind of thing. It's good to be flexible.

Hm, we could just do listopia...I mean, if people start deliberately looking up our list and adding crap to it...thats war and I am all up for that. (We could dramatically battle Tairy minions across Goodreads, but I don't think they believe in cooperation to that extent.)

On the other hand I am uneasy about a list that's open to the whole goodreads population who could vote up, well any old rubbish. Datepalm, I am considerably older than you and my soul deeply coloured by Njalls Saga, these skirmishes start out as fun but can get progressively out of hand until we are warring across websites and metaphorically setting fire to their houses at night. However if the group consensus is that Peace is despaired, For who can think Submission! Warr then, Warr Open or understood must be resolv'd. Then I'm prepared to acknowledge you as Battle-commander in this venture and do my duty whether in voting, reviews, recommendations, damning by faint praise etc.

I've seen some nice concepts & it does have more obvious personality about it than, say, the colourless way I've gone about it. It's not just the shelf title, it's the books behind it. For example looking at Datepalm's shelf of books she would like to have intimate relations with if they were real, I wonder if these are books that fill her loins with lust or books that she feels sorry for and wants to buck them up with a bit of lovin'.

Did you mean creating, say, a "If you like Kay then you should try X" shelf? If we did this for all major authors then maybe all the floob rec threads could be solved once and for all!

Yeah, I think this has good potential for helping out in the recommendations threads. For example, looking on the popular books (I know as Ambyr pointed out, sadly restricted to only twenty friends) there are the staples that are always recommended like Abercrombie, Abraham & Bakker but then there are also old favourites that don't often get mentioned like Douglas Adams and even Alexander Dumas who, surprise, surprise actually a lot of us have enjoyed.

Haha, cool. I am still trying to get the list right, so I'm looking through everyone's 'read' list to jolt my memory. But should I be listing books I need to be reminded of? Will have to think about that one.

I'm trying to say at least a little about every book I've read in the review section (I'm making some slow progress though) and I've found a few books which I read, enjoyed at the time and can remember practically nothing about. I think to say that you found a book totally forgettable is quite useful. It's a good flag - 'here read this for mindless fun if you want but if you want something that will stick with you for a long time: read something else'.

books that fill her loins with lust or books that she feels sorry for

You say it like its a dichotomy....nah, its just books with a character or two I find crush-worthy. Honestly, I thought there'd be more.

Anyway, I notice no one is grokking my westeros-favorites shelves? Change of concept necessary? (Though I do notice books aren't actually showing up, which I assume is a goodreads glitch, since older shelves consisting just of one persons shelf do exist as universal shelves just fine.)

Archived