Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

This should be me. Apparently I don't read anything that isn't SFF or in a comic.

I guess. I have a hard time categorizing a few books as either. Like, Fahrenheit 451. There's nothing really fantasy about it, and nothing about it screams "sci fi" to me except that it's set in the future. Is that enough to be sci-fi? Is it just literature? What determines whether something is "literature," or is it a meaningless term that would apply to every book if I made that shelf.

Are you saying you want me to make these decisions for you? Because I'm totally willing to do that.

I just add books as I think of them. Or if I come across one on someone else's update and say, "Oh yeah, I read that!". I am not organized at all. My "You gotta read this!" shelf items are either the first book of a series I love, or stand alone books that really meant something to me.

I am getting zillions of updates. This is fun! :)

After reading this thread I've signed up too, I think I'm here. No picture yet because I haven't found one glum enough.

I added a few books, then I had a mini wave of shelf making, now I'm wondering how to remove the star ratings I've already given. Any ideas ?

At some point I'll start to add some reviews/comments, but I'll make a start of adding all you sober and serious readers to my friends list.

I need to get back to adding my books. Stupid real life.

And pay no attention to the Top Whatever lists. Those things are messed up beyond all ken.

If you want a hoot though, go check out Stanek's page.

And pay no attention to the Top Whatever lists. Those things are messed up beyond all ken.

It's disappointing that such is the case. It would be a good resource for book recommendations if it wasn't a testament to the fact that a vast majority of Goodreads users are adolescent girls with little interest in objectivity when it comes to their favourite YA series. There's no way Twilight is the best book ever written.

It's disappointing that such is the case. It would be a good resource for book recommendations if it wasn't a testament to the fact that a vast majority of Goodreads users are adolescent girls with little interest in objectivity when it comes to their favourite YA series. There's no way Twilight is the best book ever written.

to be fair, if I recall correctly, Twilight is also the #1 book in "worst book ever written".

What I think is neat about Goodreads is that you can just kind of not pay attention to all the crazy stuff and do your own thing. I am pretty sure when I started my account on there, like #4 on that top books list was the Book of Mormon, and I was just like, WTF?

But if you want recommendations you can just spring off books you've read and liked, and see what other people who read and liked those books also liked. Now that there's a ton of Westeros boarders on there, that's even easier. You can find books to read even without that though. Just takes some investigating, and obviously you can ignore the opinion of anyone who rates Twilight highly.

to be fair, if I recall correctly, Twilight is also the #1 book in "worst book ever written".

I'm probably being unfair in calling out female YA readers over just YA readers in general. It's just glaringly obvious something is wrong when Twilight, Mortal Instruments, and similar series take top spot on EVERY SINGLE LIST on the site.

I wish there was a way to filter out all the series I have no interest in...

I'm probably being unfair in calling out female YA readers over just YA readers in general. It's just glaringly obvious something is wrong when Twilight, Mortal Instruments, and similar series take top spot on EVERY SINGLE LIST on the site.

I wish there was a way to filter out all the series I have no interest in...

You're not going to know you have no interest in them until you've at least heard of them.

Just takes some investigating, and obviously you can ignore the opinion of anyone who rates Twilight highly.

My issue isn't really with people liking Twilight --or any other YA series-- it's with obsessed fans who feel the need to promote their favourite series any chance they get.

I guess the paranoid part of me suspects a bit of astroturfing is going on behind the scenes as well, or at least something very akin to it: Fan sites suggesting people vote on said lists, that sort of thing.

You're not going to know you have no interest in them until you've at least heard of them.

True, the problem is that the once I've established I have no interest in them I still have to weed through them to find things I might be interested in. I do think those lists can be helpful once you've cut through the spam.

My issue isn't really with people liking Twilight --or any other YA series-- it's with obsessed fans who feel the need to promote their favourite series any chance they get.

I guess the paranoid part of me suspects a bit of astroturfing is going on behind the scenes as well, or at least something very akin to it: Fan sites suggesting people vote on said lists, that sort of thing.

I get what you're saying now. There's probably an amount of that going on. I would guess most of it's just organic though and that's just the popular stuff (loath as we are to admit it) and so that's what masses of people who rate internet books are going to vote for. Democracy's kind of a bitch sometimes.

I get what you're saying now. There's probably an amount of that going on. I would guess most of it's just organic though and that's just the popular stuff (loath as we are to admit it) and so that's what masses of people who rate internet books are going to vote for. Democracy's kind of a bitch sometimes.

I wonder is there's a way to do private lists. Could do a westeros aggregate.

Personally, I don't bother trying to list all the books I've read. I just stick to the ones I actually have, the ones I keep. But then I'm a loony and I buy most of mine. ;)

It's only excessive til you look at the number of Forgotten Realms books. Also Dragonlance actually "ended" a few years ago, by which I mean Hasbro told Dragonlance to go fuck itself.

That's because Hasbro reclaimed the licence so they could make a new Dragonlance expansion for 4E. Apparently some work has been done for it, but 4E's mixed commercial fortunes and the recession have meant that Hasbro/WotC are unsure if they're going to press ahead with it or do something else.

Personally, I don't bother trying to list all the books I've read. I just stick to the ones I actually have, the ones I keep. But then I'm a loony and I buy most of mine. ;)

It there's a way to list books wrong I've probably managed it. I list EVERYTHING I've read or plan on reading regardless of whether I own it. I only recently started to make sure I select the correct edition, it adds a level of tedium I wanted to avoid.

Archived