Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

I'm just Justin over there. My guess is it's all the people I listed in my first post who have already posted their info before.

No, I mean they're not on that list. I looked at that already. :)

No, I mean they're not on that list. I looked at that already. :)

It must be people reading this thread at the very least. I've been lurking on westeros for about three years now, maybe it's time for me to change that. Anyway, I'm really happy to see more people joining Goodreads.

I actually put the Goodkind books in mine that I read. It was embarrassing.

It's funny what different people find too embarrassing to admit reading. I only read the first Goodkind book and I rated it low so I didn't feel bad about putting it on my shelf on there. But I absolutely refuse to list every Star Wars book that I read when I was younger - most all of them up until 2003.

Maybe one day I will go on a spree and 'fess up, but probably not.

But I absolutely refuse to list every Star Wars book that I read when I was younger - most all of them up until 2003.

I've just listed everything (that I can remember, anyway). I generally based the star ratings on what I thought about the books at the time when I read them, I suspect that I would rate many of the books I read as a teenager (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Eddings etc.) lower if I re-read them but since I can't tell for sure what I would think about them now I've just gone for what I remember my reaction being then.

It's funny what different people find too embarrassing to admit reading. I only read the first Goodkind book and I rated it low so I didn't feel bad about putting it on my shelf on there. But I absolutely refuse to list every Star Wars book that I read when I was younger - most all of them up until 2003.

I can't remember stuff from high school. All the star wars and dragonlance...

Phew, finally finished adding all of the books I actually own right now--turned out to be 170, more than I expected!

Not sure where to even begin with adding books I've read...so many!

I can't remember stuff from high school. All the star wars and dragonlance...

Haha! That too. Like williamjm I also had a lot of Forgotten Realms books I read. Great for exercising the imagination when I was 17, but I didn't feel like listing them all in the present day. Imagining myself going through and enumerating all the Drizzt books and others... hmm. Maybe I should, just to be honest? Another day, perhaps!

This thread has been a great way to find out how people use goodreads. There are those whose only shelves are 'read', 'currently-reading' and 'to-read' (whatever works for you). Then there are those whose shelves are more unusual - I liked 'abandoned-with-prejudice' and 'embarrassed-to-have-read' (I feel your pain). And then there was the person with a shelf of 62 Dragonlance books, and I don't even know what Dragonlance is <blushing>. Anyway, I was inspired to a frenzy of shelf-creation. What a great way to spend the day :-)

Phew, finally finished adding all of the books I actually own right now--turned out to be 170, more than I expected!

Not sure where to even begin with adding books I've read...so many!

Heh, I have twice that much just on my to read pile. Everything I've put on GR I own, with th exception of the could not finish pile. They went to goodwill.

And then there was the person with a shelf of 62 Dragonlance books, and I don't even know what Dragonlance is <blushing>

Dragonlance is one of the RPG settings used in Dungeons and Dragons. In the early 80s there was a tie-in Epic Fantasy trilogy by Weis and Hickman which became a huge hit and lead to a frankly excessive number of spin-off books set in the world. I loved the first couple of Dragonlance trilogies when I read them (I think I would have been about 12 at the time), although they're one of the series I suspect wouldn't stand up to a re-read.

Heh, I have twice that much just on my to read pile. Everything I've put on GR I own, with th exception of the could not finish pile. They went to goodwill.

I don't usually buy the books I read, so I was surprised I had managed to accumulate that many! Especially when I just moved and had done some culling.

Then again, now that I have a Kindle I own a ton of free books, which probably helped round that out.

Dragonlance is one of the RPG settings used in Dungeons and Dragons. In the early 80s there was a tie-in Epic Fantasy trilogy by Weis and Hickman which became a huge hit and lead to a frankly excessive number of spin-off books set in the world. I loved the first couple of Dragonlance trilogies when I read them (I think I would have been about 12 at the time), although they're one of the series I suspect wouldn't stand up to a re-read.

It's only excessive til you look at the number of Forgotten Realms books. Also Dragonlance actually "ended" a few years ago, by which I mean Hasbro told Dragonlance to go fuck itself.

Archived