Goodreads, you should join.

jdiddyesquire

I'm very frustrated by the site. It's hard to navigate, has poor (or none most of the time) recommendation features and just in general is not very user friendly. It doesn't lead you from book to book to rate, most of the time, looking up authors is about the only way to efficiently rate more than one book at a time. Annoying.

I'm very frustrated by the site. It's hard to navigate, has poor (or none most of the time) recommendation features and just in general is not very user friendly. It doesn't lead you from book to book to rate, most of the time, looking up authors is about the only way to efficiently rate more than one book at a time. Annoying.

huh, I hadn't looked at the recommendations thing before - I assumed it was an amazon type automated thing, but its not - its actual, random people asking for recs. Now i'm gleefully going through and recommending stuff to innocent strangers! Its like a jungle out there!

Note the fine print at the bottom--"Sorry, we only include your 20 most recently active friends."

Makes it less useful of a feature, to be sure.

Being anti-social I haven't hit that limit yet! But that's annoying.

really dosen't seem to be anyway to easily agregatte statistics on us, does there?

It depends on what you think of as easy. Exporting csvs, having one person collate them and run a pivot table on them wouldn't take long - the difficulty is getting everybody or a useful number to export a csv of their booklist. It would be a fairly easy task, thanks to the magical power of excel, just a little tedious.

The down side is that it would a point in time exercise and you would get the true joy of stats experience of being able to compare your group's reading habits and tastes with the Goodreads average.

Irritatingly all the data is there but the configuration of the system stops us from really being able to play with it.

If you had star rating set up as tabs as well you could use the batch edit feature, which seems ok.

huh, I hadn't looked at the recommendations thing before - I assumed it was an amazon type automated thing, but its not - its actual, random people asking for recs. Now i'm gleefully going through and recommending stuff to innocent strangers! Its like a jungle out there!

You are a evil, evil woman. "Let the wicked tremble!" as the High Septon said to the brotherlover and may God have mercy on their souls.

What? I'm recommending good books.

Don't you mean 'good' books? ;)

Just teasing, still the temptation must be overwhelming...must fight...desire to...go through barbarian snark threads for ...'good' books to recommend...

Don't you mean 'good' books? ;)

Just teasing, still the temptation must be overwhelming...must fight...desire to...go through barbarian snark threads for ...'good' books to recommend...

I am shocked. Really astounded at you. I see myself as a recommendation vigilante, bringing peoples attention to books that should be read more. Why, would you believe one woman was looking for "fantasy or sci-fi", and had read all of Jordan and Eddings, but not Martin?

I'm torn between commending you for going forth and doing the Boards work, bringing the goodness of GRRM to the starving huddled masses and berating you for plucking such low hanging fruit.

Sci-fi and fantasy fans wanting recommendations! Can we not throw out our nets further and bring in romance fans (well there's a beautiful blonde who loves a beautiful blond..but they have to keep their passion hidden...)?

I'm torn between commending you for going forth and doing the Boards work, bringing the goodness of GRRM to the starving huddled masses and berating you for plucking such low hanging fruit.

Sci-fi and fantasy fans wanting recommendations! Can we not throw out our nets further and bring in romance fans (well there's a beautiful blonde who loves a beautiful blond..but they have to keep their passion hidden...)?

stop complaining at me and go get some work done. I'm reccing Cold Magic to everyone asking for Steampunk-romance, for example.

I'm confused about what this discussion is about.

I meant I wasn't sure what the criticism was about.

Well, it seems I regard the opportunity to give random strangers book recommendations as sort of sacred duty. A high calling. Gently nudging people away from Goodkind and Twilight and into books that will bring them enjoyment and improve their moral character. Lummel appears to see it as an opportunity for crass schoolboy pranks and possibly an opportunity to convert people to ASOIAF like its some sort of popularity contest.

The Goodreads staff does add new stats features to play with pretty regularly, so if there's something specific you want, it never hurts to request it on the Feedback boards.

Not sure at the moment I can boil down what might be interesting to look at to what I could ask for and conceivably get. I've played with databases before and really the only limits on combining bits of data are the limits of the imagination. And the limits of the server to cope with your request before it crashes.

stop complaining at me and go get some work done. I'm reccing Cold Magic to everyone asking for Steampunk-romance, for example.

Yes Ma'am!

I look at that list and I start to think...hmm how many could I recommend GRRM to based on what they are asking for. Then I spied someone asking for a book featuring an ice cold grave - perfect!

I meant I wasn't sure what the criticism was about.

It's about me teasing Datepalm. No doubt there will be hell to pay for doing that at some point down the road...Oh well.

Well, it seems I regard the opportunity to give random strangers book recommendations as sort of sacred duty. A high calling. Gently nudging people away from Goodkind and Twilight and into books that will bring them enjoyment and improve their moral character. Lummel appears to see it as an opportunity for crass schoolboy pranks and possibly an opportunity to convert people to ASOIAF like its some sort of popularity contest.

+1 Datepalm (sorry I've already used up all my upvotes for the day)

And so the payback begins **wipes proud tear from my eye**

Crass schoolboy pranks - excellent, you've got me in one. Watch it - I'm going to attempt to recommend you some sci-fi now! In my defence I think I may have been corrupted by Sologdin's efforts to bring Sandra Hill and Stan@k to a wider audience.

the recommendation requests are amusing:

Madalina wants to read: Some not-historical love with not-gay protagonists that clash absurdly and humorously and end up happily.

Jun 16, 2011 07:06am 724 books 12 friends 0 recommendations

eh?

Srishti wants to read: Sense and Sensibility

33 minutes ago 14 books 0 friends 0 recommendations

knock yerself out, then, aye?

Luis Lelievre wants to read: The Law of Nines

Jun 14, 2011 05:22pm 191 books 4 friends 0 recommendations

mmkay.

Can we legitimately recommend AGOT to every one who posts "I want a rec" without any eleboration? Or Engels or something, for that matter.

Well, after careful thought and deliberation I do believe my answer to this question would be yes. Possibly double for the Engels (unless they actually come from Manchester).

I also love the one who want a 'fiction' recommendation - that narrows the field down a bit doesn't it.

Richelle wants to read: Fiction with good psychological/social/political commentary wrapped up in it.

Cor wants to read: a book like Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld.

I would like a strong(fem or male) Main-Character and if the the book has a few adult themes. (drugs sex alcohol etc. ) but nothing to hard.

Alexander wants to read: Traveling literature, mountain stories.

Come on - they are all crying out for ASOIAF. And Madalina would love it too, right up until AFFC when it all starts to go wrong for Cersei and Jaime.

Archived