A Thread for Small Questions IX

Datepalm

We're told in AFfC that House Umber has given their support to Roose Bolton's cause. Is it the Greatjon's uncles that we meet in ACoK that are supporting Bolton?

I guess so. Who else is still alive and not held captive?

Don't try to press your opinion on our questioner here. The answer to the question is that we don't know when Roose started plotting his betrayal (don't know what else to call it) of Robb. We do know that he was in the midst of it while he was at Harrenhal. I personally don't think he decided to betray Robb until Tywin gave him the out via letter. He decided that killing Robb and swearing Fealty to Joffrey was better than fighting with Robb in a potentially unwinable circumstance. That doesn't take away from the fact that he broke the Oath he made to Robb and killed him in a cowardly way.

I am not trying to press my opinion on the questioner. I am trying to press it on everyone :) The questioner and everyone else can read the threads and have opinion for themselves.

a) Robert travel up the King's Road to Winterfell when sailing to White Harbour would have been much easier and much quicker?

It's never really hinted at in the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if Robert is afraid of travel by ship. Consider what happened to his parents, all within sight of the castle. Like I said, neither confirmed nor denied by the text, but it's not hard to believe. We certainly never see Robert in a ship. So far as I can tell, the books don't say where Robert was during the Greyjoy Rebellion. We know Stannis commanded the sea power and Selmy commanded at Old Wyk. It doesn't really say who was in charge at Pyke, though I can't imagine Jon would have wanted the king in the thick of things. Since we know he was at Lannisport afterward it's possible he directed the war from there, taking charge to throw Victarion and Euron's forces back from those ports.

Anyway, if you pack the entire court onto a ship and it sinks, the realm loses the whole royal family in one go. That might have made things easier for Stannis, but was probably one of those risks he was advised against. It's far less likely that a huge company of knights and soldiers trailing a massive wheelhouse is going to be attacked by brigands and all men wiped out.

Who were the members of the Kingsguard during Aerys's reign and where were they during the ToJ events? Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent were at the Tower of Joy guarding Lyanna (and probably Jon). Jaime was at Kingslanding with Aerys. Barristan Selmy was wounded after a battle. Jonothor Darry was slain during the Battle of the Trident. Who was the last one and where was he?

Can anyone point me to a thread with theories about why Rhaegar would leave three of the Kingsguard guarding his pregnant mistress/second wife and just one with doubtful loyalties guarding his first wife, his daughter and his oldest son, who he thought was the Prince who was Promised (per Dany's vision in the House of the Undying)?

Who were the members of the Kingsguard during Aerys's reign and where were they during the ToJ events? Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent were at the Tower of Joy guarding Lyanna (and probably Jon). Jaime was at Kingslanding with Aerys. Barristan Selmy was wounded after a battle. Jonothor Darry was slain during the Battle of the Trident. Who was the last one and where was he?

Lewyn Martell. He lead the Dornish on the Trident, and died there.

Can anyone point me to a thread with theories about why Rhaegar would leave three of the Kingsguard guarding his pregnant mistress/second wife and just one with doubtful loyalties guarding his first wife, his daughter and his oldest son, who he thought was the Prince who was Promised (per Dany's vision in the House of the Undying)?

Based on Jaime's memories of Rhaegar's final words to him, it does not appear that Rhaegar considered Jaime of doubtful loyalties at all.

Well, I don't think that Rhaegar ever thought that Jaime's loyalties were in doubt. In Jaime's last memory, Rhaegar expresses a fair amount of affection for him, and says that Jaime's presence at King's Landing is just there to keep his father quiet.

Thank you!

Based on Jaime's memories of Rhaegar's final words to him, it does not appear that Rhaegar considered Jaime of doubtful loyalties at all.

Do you have a quote? I don't remember that. Is it the one Rhaegar tells him that Aerys will be delt with when he [Rahegar] comes back from the Trident?

Do you have a quote? I don't remember that. Is it the one Rhaegar tells him that Aerys will be delt with when he [Rahegar] comes back from the Trident?

Here:

The day had been windy when he said farewell to Rhaegar, in the yard of the Red Keep. The prince had donned his night-black armor, with the three-headed dragon picked out in rubies on his breastplate. “Your Grace,” Jaime had pleaded, “let Darry stay to guard the king this once, or Ser Barristan. Their cloaks are as white as mine.”

Prince Rhaegar shook his head. “My royal sire fears your father more than he does our cousin Robert. He wants you close, so Lord Tywin cannot harm him. I dare not take that crutch away from him at such an hour.”

Jaime’s anger had risen up in his throat. “I am not a crutch. I am a knight of the Kingsguard.”

“Then guard the king,” Ser Jon Darry snapped at him. “When you donned that cloak, you promised to obey.”

Rhaegar had put his hand on Jaime’s shoulder. “When this battle’s done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but . . . well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken. We shall talk when I return.”

Those were the last words Rhaegar Targaryen ever spoke to him. Outside the gates an army had assembled, whilst another descended on the Trident. So the Prince of Dragonstone mounted up and donned his tall black helm, and rode forth to his doom.

1/ Who made the prophecies regarding Azor Azai and The Prince That Was Promised? They're referenced a lot but I can't remember there being any mention of who were the original prophesisers.

2/ Is Cersei generally considered to be pregnant? It would be a great twist because if she were to give birth to a 4th child it would discredit the prophecy that she had built the last few months of her life around.

I don't remember the answer re the prophacies but as to Cersei - I don't think she is pregnant. I think she's started drinking too much and eating to much because all the realm's responsibilities on top of her own scheming and just started to get fat.

This is a small, probably "duh" question about how the various Queens of Westeros are championed in trials. At the end of AFFC, Cersei says that as queen, both she and Margaery can only be championed by Knights of the Kingsguard. Back in ASoS, Cersei was allowed to be championed by Ser Gregor, though. Is that because she was the accuser and not the accused?

1/ Who made the prophecies regarding Azor Azai and The Prince That Was Promised? They're referenced a lot but I can't remember there being any mention of who were the original prophesisers.

Melissandre mentions old documents in Asshai that tell of Azor Ahai. As for the PWWP, the only reference we have to him come from Rhaegar in the House of the Undying scene, and from Maester Aemon in ASoS and AFFC.

Here's the Citadel's page on prophecies.

2/ Is Cersei generally considered to be pregnant? It would be a great twist because if she were to give birth to a 4th child it would discredit the prophecy that she had built the last few months of her life around.

That is one theory, yes. I don't know if I'd say she's "generally considered" to be pregnant, though. It's just an idea that's been tossed around a few times, as far as I can tell.

This is a small, probably "duh" question about how the various Queens of Westeros are championed in trials. At the end of AFFC, Cersei says that as queen, both she and Margaery can only be championed by Knights of the Kingsguard. Back in ASoS, Cersei was allowed to be championed by Ser Gregor, though. Is that because she was the accuser and not the accused?

Yes, a member of the Kingsguard must defend the Queen when it's her own honor at stake, but if she's the accuser then she may choose whatever champion she likes.

I am looking to purchase the Dunk and Egg stories, The Hedge Knight-The Sworn Sword-The Mystery Knight. I can only find all three of them on Amazon. If anyone knows any other place to find them, please let me know.

Also, on Amazon, I am finding The Hedge Knight is a book by itself that is expensive for a 150 page book, and it is also in the Legends Anthology, which even though it has many stories it is cheaper than The Hedge Knight by itself. The Sworn Sword is a book by itself, and it is also in the Legends II Anthology. And The Mystery Knight is in Warriors. Can anyone clarify if there are any differences and which books I should purchase? Thank you.

I am looking to purchase the Dunk and Egg stories, The Hedge Knight-The Sworn Sword-The Mystery Knight. I can only find all three of them on Amazon. If anyone knows any other place to find them, please let me know.

Also, on Amazon, I am finding The Hedge Knight is a book by itself that is expensive for a 150 page book, and it is also in the Legends Anthology, which even though it has many stories it is cheaper than The Hedge Knight by itself. The Sworn Sword is a book by itself, and it is also in the Legends II Anthology. And The Mystery Knight is in Warriors. Can anyone clarify if there are any differences and which books I should purchase? Thank you.

In my opinion, it'd probably be better just to buy the anthologies if you like short stories at all. Warriors in particular is very, very good.

Archived