[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] What Happened To That Scene?

Lord Godric

When we first were getting trailers for this season we saw a scene that many interpreted as Aerys torturing Brandon and Rickard because we saw a man with a noose around his throat in the Throne Room and some Targaryen sitting behind him on the Iron Throne. But now that we've seen the whole seasons it is clear that scene was cut and obviously as a late decision.

I know many people were disappointed in the lack of the Tower of Joy scenes, should we have had flashbacks - like was confirmed? Why do you think they made the seemingly late decision to cut the torture scene? And, sort of related, (assuming R+L=J) was enough done to clue readers into Jon's parentage?

It wasn't late. Way back at TCA they revealed that they filmed it but that they were already considering dropping it. I'm not sure why they did -- didn't work on screen, took time away from things they felt had more immediate importance, etc. Plenty of possibilities.

I'm glad we didn't see it. There really was no point to show it in season 1. How many clues do you need in season 1 for R+L=J? The guys over at TWoP have already theorized R+L=J and we, as book readers, still don't know if it is true.

The show has, at least, 3 more seasons to go before Jon's parentage is revealed, so just throw a hint in here and there in later seasons.

When we first were getting trailers for this season we saw a scene that many interpreted as Aerys torturing Brandon and Rickard because we saw a man with a noose around his throat in the Throne Room and some Targaryen sitting behind him on the Iron Throne. But now that we've seen the whole seasons it is clear that scene was cut and obviously as a late decision.

I know many people were disappointed in the lack of the Tower of Joy scenes, should we have had flashbacks - like was confirmed? Why do you think they made the seemingly late decision to cut the torture scene? And, sort of related, (assuming R+L=J) was enough done to clue readers into Jon's parentage?

IIRC, there is a Jaime PoV where he gets all existential, talking about watching Rickard burn while he filled his mind with thoughts of Cersei, so perhaps it will be used as flashback in season 2. I saw somewhere that they needed to find ways to get Jaime back on screen in season 2, since he spends the entire time in the Riverrun dungeon, and this could be a way.

While R+L=J is controversial, if it ends up being true, which many of us think it will, then the first season did this a dis-service, in my opinion. GRRM put those hints in early because it was a major part of the background plot. Wheels within wheels, so-to-speak.

Not to hijack the thread here either but, how was the Whispering Woods received in the TV community vs. the books? I will admit it was one scene that I was badly disappointed in. I know fans here have said they can't put everything in the shows. I get it. And I'm not one of those malcontents that gripes about every little different thing. This was, to me, a great scene in the books (Jaime doing his thing where we really actually get to see how bad ass he is, one on one...) and having it cut out really shocked me. Maybe the production money and time wasn't there for a major battle scene. That is the only reason I can think of for cutting it. Either way, this is about my only gripe about any of the episodes. I was really looking forward to that battle scene!

While R+L=J is controversial, if it ends up being true, which many of us think it will, then the first season did this a dis-service, in my opinion. GRRM put those hints in early because it was a major part of the background plot. Wheels within wheels, so-to-speak.

Not to hijack the thread here either but, how was the Whispering Woods received in the TV community vs. the books? I will admit it was one scene that I was badly disappointed in. I know fans here have said they can't put everything in the shows. I get it. And I'm not one of those malcontents that gripes about every little different thing. This was, to me, a great scene in the books (Jaime doing his thing where we really actually get to see how bad ass he is, one on one...) and having it cut out really shocked me. Maybe the production money and time wasn't there for a major battle scene. That is the only reason I can think of for cutting it. Either way, this is about my only gripe about any of the episodes. I was really looking forward to that battle scene!

I was looking more forward to Green Fork battle since we actually see it. I was just hoping to see some of Whispering Wood.

On topic. I think it was cut because there may not have been time. Also they could put it in later.

I was looking more forward to Green Fork battle since we actually see it. I was just hoping to see some of Whispering Wood.

On topic. I think it was cut because there may not have been time. Also they could put it in later.

Yea, maybe I should re-phrase my statement...

I was hoping to see a major battle scene (Green Forks, Whispering Woods, etc etc) and specifically also hoped to see the scene where Jaime is hacking everyone down, in an effort o get to Robb.

Yea, maybe I should re-phrase my statement...

I was hoping to see a major battle scene (Green Forks, Whispering Woods, etc etc) and specifically also hoped to see the scene where Jaime is hacking everyone down, in an effort o get to Robb.

I was hoping to see Jaime taking out some guys also. In the book we never get to see how great a fighter he is. At least in the show we got Ned vs Jaime.

I'm curious, were there important scenes from the book, other than the Tower of Joy bit and [i believe] the bit about obsidian, that didn't make it into the first season of the show?

Mainly wondering since I'm planning to re-read the series in a bit, and was considering skipping right to ACoK.

I'm curious, were there important scenes from the book, other than the Tower of Joy bit and [i believe] the bit about obsidian, that didn't make it into the first season of the show?

Mainly wondering since I'm planning to re-read the series in a bit, and was considering skipping right to ACoK.

I would strongly recommend against this, mainly just because the first book fleshes out the characters and settings in ways that television never could.

I never saw this!!! Link? :)

I was more disappointed with the omission at the Green Fork. I think Tyrion's character suffered. But all the complaints about the Whispering Wood seem to make more sense. I must be biased. :P

I never saw this!!! Link? :)

I'd like to see it too. I was so stoked for the show that I watched every promo I could get my hands on, but I dont remember seeing this.

Archived