Preparing Ourselves for the Worst

Misanthrope

We've endured Ned's execution, the Red Wedding, the Sacking of Wintefell, and many of us have thrown the book across the room. The purpose of this thread is to come up with the absolute most horrid scenarios you can fathom, so when we do read the forthcoming novels we are ready for the worst. I'll give it my most pessimistic stab:

1) Jon and Sam are both assassinated by Faceless men.

2) Bran and his companions slain by the Others.

3) Rickon and Osha hunted down and killed by the Boltons.

4) Sansa is pushed out the moon door in one of Robert's tantrums.

5) Real Arya is killed, Ramsay claims Winterfell through fake Arya, the North bends the knee to Ramsay, Warden of the North.

Great thread, although I would LOVE to throw Sansa and her stupid tummy out of the moon door myself.

-Westeros becoming a strict Theocracy with all of the dragons killed by the faith.

After reading through these posts, I am going to have nightmares. Sheesh.

The only reliable foreshadowing is through the direwolves and visions people have. Even then, they are open to interpretation and may mean many different things. Personally I think Jaime will die, Selmy/Jorah perish defending Dany, and Stannis gets assassinated. I hope the Ironborn get wiped out, I'm tired as hell of their constant raiding and plundering.

I've posted here before but I want to say again that if Dany and Jon are related how much I DON'T want them to get together.

But many believe they will because of the foreshadowing that's happening (however minor is may be)

But here is a thought. (and if you have evidence to the contrary please share! :) )

What if Dany loves him as a brother? We've seen some DEEP evidence of brother/sister love (and I'm not talking Jaime and Cersei here) The Starks really truly love each other in a totally non creepy way. Meera and Jojen. Granted there are those who hate each other, but I see no reason that the "To Love" aspect of this foreshadowing (if it does indeed apply to Jon) that it can't be a family love rather than sexual.

-We find out Brienne's last word is "Ow"

-Stannis finds out Jon Snow is Rhaegar/Lyanna's child. He legitimizes him, makes him lord of Winterfell and all of Westeros. Then burns him on a sacrificial fire, to make Melisandre's proposed spell work.

-Samwell loses a bunch of weight and along with it his appeal, just like Drew Carey.

-The sun rises in the west and sets in the east, the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, and thus Khal Drogo is resurrected with all of his wits. Seeing their Khal returned to them, Dany's khalasar abandon her for Drogo. Drogo dashes the plans to sail across the poison water, kills Dany for fucking their child over to turn him into a vegetable, and kills the strange winged horses. Any horse that does not keep its hooves on the ground is seen as unridable and thus unholy by the Dothraki.

-Tyrion's mouth gets him killed on the way to see Daenerys. Lacking a dragon rider, she gives command of Drogon to Podrick Payne during her conquest. The following ensues:

C'mon guys, don't be so moralistic, like dont kill the good / my favorite.

That's one strength of the book, killing good boys, crippling others, ... thought it became a little more moral in A Feast ... like people getting what they ought too ... Martin, come on, give us more depth ...

What would definitely the worse for me, that we find all this :

<!> Caution : this contain spoiler <!>

- The Dragons will help unite the kingdom

- Someone will sacrifice

- the Others will be vanquish, maybe even without a battle

- their would be some mystic change in the way the story is told and we'll loose the fair original beginning.

C'mon Martin, dont give us the story we had a thousand time !

The end of our great epic is typical and does not give me that GRRM feel

I'd really like that the book be a continuous fight, now we observe some reshapping :

1. power of two religious orders

2. lost fighters becoming southerners bandits / Catelyn kind of lich queen

3. Tyrell getting power

4. Dorne having some naughty plan

5. Vale is to move

6. Scottish prepare invasion

7. Stannis / Jon / Mance ?

8. Greyjoy preparing D-Day with Dany

We have a post-war trauma, and new forces joining the dance. We could have somehow 1. and 2. becoming power on which to count.

This is real live situation guys, and the place for great epic.

I just hope it won't end so stupidly as the Royal Assassin or Dune. Or so commonly as Saint Seya, Oblivion, etc ...

Because Martin showed us how he could be so machiavelous and surprising, with some realistic bad story.

Song of Ice and Fire means for me kind of dance between them, not good vs bad story, which until then it's not.

I don't know what we'll get, let's see his new book in three weeks.

My main fears are currently for Stannis. He just redeemed himself to a lot of people by showing up to save the Night's Watch, so it seems likely that Martin is going to kill him off just when he wins over the readers. He is also the only king from the original five still alive.

I think many other characters are at risk, but Stannis' death seems to be looming.

My main fears are currently for Stannis. He just redeemed himself to a lot of people by showing up to save the Night's Watch, so it seems likely that Martin is going to kill him off just when he wins over the readers. He is also the only king from the original five still alive.

I think many other characters are at risk, but Stannis' death seems to be looming.

When is it he'll be winning over the readers? It's clear to the readers that Stannis did what he did for selfish reasons. Since then he has tried to roast a baby for the same selfish reasons.

How do you add the spoiler tag to your post? Well regardless, for those who haven't read the small first DwD review that came up, this post will contain SPOILERS! SO be warned! (And somebody tell me the tag I need to use so I can use it).

Tyrion's story arc:

Anyway, what I would hate is (other than cases already mentioned), Tyrion after getting kidnapped by slavers, and cynical and disappointed with life and women, falling to his dark side, and becoming a slaver himself, Dany's enemy and a major villain of the series.

I in fact fear that to be likely, since it seems to fit 'a' possible arc for him, and since I remember hearing that Martin said that Tyrion will go through some dark roads in the new book (and I think Martin is evil enough to do this - making Tyrion be the reverse mirror of Jaime's journey, and his point being to show us how what would otherwise be the stereotypical villain of a series came in fact to be).

In some ways it would actually be really cool for Martin to do this, and further subvert the genre - and could also fit in with the overall story structure. In the original plan with the 5 year gap, we'd have a nice balance between 'good' Tyrion on the past and 'evil' Tyrion on the other.

I'd really like that the book be a continuous fight, now we observe some reshapping :

1. power of two religious orders

2. lost fighters becoming southerners bandits / Catelyn kind of lich queen

3. Tyrell getting power

4. Dorne having some naughty plan

5. Vale is to move

6. Scottish prepare invasion

7. Stannis / Jon / Mance ?

8. Greyjoy preparing D-Day with Dany

That is an ambitious endeavor. Trans-reality invasions?

It's hard to really come up with "the worst thing that could happen." So I suppose here are just a couple of things that I would not be particularly pleased with if they were to happen:

• Sansa dying. I really like reading all of Sansa's chapters, even though she is sometimes a dumb bitch (like revealing all of her father's plans to Cersei). She has really wised up, so I would like to see where she goes from there. Of course, the next Sansa chapters are supposedly going to be in Winters, but that could just be a red herring
  • Davos actually dying like it was reported in feast. Davos is one of my favorite characters. He's very level headed and "honorable." I like him for the same reasons that Stannis does, and would be very disappointed if he bites the dust.
  • Something good not happening for Stannis. He got so fucked after Blackwater, but then he went to the wall and that was quite exciting. I want to see more from Stannis's camp.

When is it he'll be winning over the readers? It's clear to the readers that Stannis did what he did for selfish reasons. Since then he has tried to roast a baby for the same selfish reasons.

He seems to be one of the more popular characters on the forum, and I've assumed his actions at the end of ASOS are at least partially responsible for that.

He seems to be one of the more popular characters on the forum, and I've assumed his actions at the end of ASOS are at least partially responsible for that.

I can understand in some ways why he would be. But he's done some terrible things, and for me to feel he's redeemed himself he'd need to go through a change similar to Jaime's. As of right now though, the whole thing where he burned Alester Florent alive and tried to roast a baby per Melisandre's wishes has me jaded towards him. Yes, I know Florent was a traitor, but the traditional method of execution there is beheading. His help at The Wall is much needed, to be sure, but it's not out of the goodness of his heart. Walder Frey's help was invaluable to Robb Stark at one point.

1) How do you know this?

2) Thanks for the spoilers if it's true -__-

In AFfC, Cersei tells the Manderlys that they can come back into favour if they execute Davos, who is with them to treat on Stannis' behalf. Later on his head and hands are said to be displayed on the walls of White Harbor. The former happens in Cersei 4, and the latter is mentioned in Cersei 5 when Aurane Water reports to the Council. However, the source is not of the most reliable.

Arya sticking Jon with the pointy end -- and not feeling anything much at all about it.

Sansa killing Sweetrobin through a continuing overdose of sweetsleep and thinking that she has only his best interests at heart.

Archived