NYC GRRM BOOK SIGNING July 14th Union Square B&N

Holy shit. :shocked:

Yeah.

That's been our reaction too.

It's all good and wonderful, beyond our wildest dreams, but the whole experience is a bit overwhelming.

We're hoping that by getting out the word any way we can about what's going to happen at the DANCE appearances the information helps folks plan their attendance with some confidence. We do have some concerns that if people don't know what to expect at these events, they'll be unhappy or disappointed in the experience. We really do want folks to enjoy themselves and to support the brick and mortar stores that are hosting the signing. That's why I've gone into so much detail explaining the hows and whys the signings are going to be run.

Given that George only types with one finger and a thumb for the space bar, he's probably going to have to go into PT before he starts writing again. Even if only two books person were signed at the big events in Poland and Slovenia, that's an awful lot of sigs to do in less than four hours.

And there's no 3hr+ signings planned for the DANCE tour in the USA.

I can say one thing - I know there's trolls out there that think George is on some sort of long summer frat-boy type vacation when he goes to a convention or does a book tour. Looking at his schedule and understanding that George usually commits to conventions 3-4 years out, anyone who was a reasonable person would see that tours and cons are part of the business of being a SF/F writer.

When George tells me he signed for over 1K people that day, and I see the reactions from people who attend those appearances in cities great and small, in the USA and in Slovenia, Finland, Ireland, etc., I know how much it means to the readers and George to get a chance to meet, even it's just for a few minutes at a book signing. So frak the trolls, and break open another box of gel pens, I'm pretty sure George has one more signing to do, somewhere, before he comes home.

The people who attend the signings and George himself get a mutually shared buzz that energizes everyone. That's worth the hassles and pains of traveling, dealing with all the work and business you couldn't do while away from home, (not to mention how long it can take to get back in the good graces of the League of Red-Headed Pussycats and Asha when he's away for more than a weekend). Those folks he meets are so kind and supportive, it almost always means that a good time is had by everyone.

Me? I'm just looking forward to watching the season finale with him when he gets home.

babbling now, better hit the sack....

Thanks for the info, Parris! Guess I'll play it by ear once I get to the store since I can get out of work right at 5pm. Might just buy an extra copy of Dance. The brick and mortar stores definitely need it these days, as I've seen a few of the closest stores to my apartment close within the past year or two. Oh ya, don't mind supporting George's work by buying an extra copy either! :cheers:

That's worth the hassles and pains of traveling, dealing with all the work and business you couldn't do while away from home, (not to mention how long it can take to get back in the good graces of the League of Red-Headed Pussycats and Asha when he's away for more than a weekend).

Me? I'm just looking forward to watching the season finale with him when he gets home.

:lol: There is nothing more terrible than a cat scorned. :devil:

(Mr. X and I will be watching the season finale this weekend sometime. We'll toast to you and to the health of George's writing hand.)

Just wanted to pop in with an update - I called B&N yesterday and they said that they will receive the list of all confirmed guidelines a week before the signing, but, generally, when the signing is not on the day of the book's release, the customer can buy the book earlier in the week and still take advantage of the preferred seating/line placement so long as the customer has the receipt of purchase. I hope this information helps some people figure out their book purchases.

Parris, thank you for all of the information you provided. I hope you and George enjoy the finale.

I'll be there. Now I just need to figure out if I'll be able to survive without ADwD for a couple days so I can buy it that day to get a good place in line. :P

I'm buying the nook version the day it is released, but will get the hardback copy there. (plus I can get the e-book at 6am when I wake up)

I'm hoping to be there this time, and would like to point out that B&N Union Square is within a short distance from Professor Thom's which hosted the GoT nights. Maybe that would be a suitable place for after signing drinks and a possible "Kingsmoot" (now that would be exciting)?

That's a great idea - Professor Thom's was really nice to our merry band the night we snuck in to watch an episode.

Let us know more details if a group actually organizes a visit, I've got a couple of adult nephews who might want to take the plunge of meeting Bros sometime this summer, the PT moot might be the right place for them to drop by and meet some of the BYC area Bros.

PS: I'm sad to say that's it's unlikely that George will be able to join the moot in NYC or anywhere else on the tour. HIs schedule is just too tight on 'work' days and there's the traveling days that can always be blighted by delays and cancelled flights.

I'm buying the nook version the day it is released, but will get the hardback copy there. (plus I can get the e-book at 6am when I wake up)

Thank you for buying two versions of DANCE! I'm beginning to buy some books (non-fiction biographies and histories, but a few big fat fantasy novels as well) for the e-readers because the physical version is so heavy and bulky my wrists ache after a while, they're hard to read in the bathtub, and the books take up too much room in my carry-bag.

And DANCE is a monster in hardcover. A gorgeous, roller coaster ride of a book, but a monster none the less.

I'd be game for Professor Thom's. One of my favorite bars anyway, being a Sox fan.

Now if I had only known about the GoT nights and saved myself from driving to Jersey every Sunday to watch with friends who had HBO...

Professor Thom's was high on my list, too, but there were a lot of factors involved as to if that was the best place to go. In terms of moving a whole bunch of people there in a pack, it's not really that close to Union Square, and I'd hate to be dragging George that distance just for a beer if there were convenient places closer to the bookstore (like one of those bars on University place, or one of the gin joints adjacent to Union Square on 17th or 18th Street). That said, if GRRM won't be able to make it out with us, then I'm less inclined to keep it close to the bookstore and Prof. Thom's (so long as we can convince the bartenders to turn the music down) is a good choice. If we're lucky, we can convince the bartender to resurrect the specialty GoT cocktails for the event.

Frisco!! Long time, no see. :) OK, to clear up any confusion -- meglaurel called the bookstore and you can buy ADWD from the Union Square B&N on July 12 and still get preferred seating. Just SAVE THE RECEIPT. This is what Mr. X and I will do, although we'll call closer to the date to make sure this policy is still in place, rather than having to buy the day of the signing.

if you asked the greatjon about me being a fan of this series and a member of this board, he would tell you i'm so green that i piss grass... but i do plan on being there. he IS from my hometown after all.

Professor Thom's was high on my list, too, but there were a lot of factors involved as to if that was the best place to go. In terms of moving a whole bunch of people there in a pack, it's not really that close to Union Square, and I'd hate to be dragging George that distance just for a beer if there were convenient places closer to the bookstore (like one of those bars on University place, or one of the gin joints adjacent to Union Square on 17th or 18th Street). That said, if GRRM won't be able to make it out with us, then I'm less inclined to keep it close to the bookstore and Prof. Thom's (so long as we can convince the bartenders to turn the music down) is a good choice. If we're lucky, we can convince the bartender to resurrect the specialty GoT cocktails for the event.

Frisco!! Long time, no see. :) OK, to clear up any confusion -- meglaurel called the bookstore and you can buy ADWD from the Union Square B&N on July 12 and still get preferred seating. Just SAVE THE RECEIPT. This is what Mr. X and I will do, although we'll call closer to the date to make sure this policy is still in place, rather than having to buy the day of the signing.

Prof. Thom's it is! Anyone wondering, or who may have difficulty walking and needs to know the distance- it's close to 6 blocks from B&N (about a 10 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride).

I'm also picking up two copies of Dance...one to keep on my "throne," (heh heh hehhhhhh) and one for the big guy to sign. No worries, he'll be signing the untainted copy.

I'll see you all at B&N. I'm the skinny white kid, you can't miss me. :P Additionally, there is a pretty cool bar right across the way called Heartland Brewery. It's not too chi chi (read: no techno), you can sit down and have a burger, and they make their own little microbrews there, which are solid. It's a good spot to chill out at. If you need an alternative plan from Prof. Thom's, that is.

If you want fancy shmancy, there's a "high concept" Mexican restaurant - which is best described as Mexican/French fusion cuisine - two blocks down from Union Square B&N called Creama. Awesome Margaritas...too bad they're $12 a pop or something. I have to admit, it would be hysterical if ASOIAF fans completely took over this place.

Due to an extremely serendipitous set of circumstances, I happen to be flying into NYC on business on the 14th, arriving at 4ish, and I'll be staying in midtown Manhattan. I'm going to try to get to the B&N at 5pm and pray that I can get a decent spot in line. I'm predicting it will be a madhouse.

I realize it will be so swamped that George will likely not be able to spend more than a few moments with each fan, but I'm looking forward to those moments nonetheless.

I also really wanted at some point to give him a cd of my band, which contains a track I wrote about my imagined version of Arya Stark at the age of 20. I was told that he may not be able to accept the cd on IP grounds (for the record, she or anything else ASOAIF is not named directly, except for "The Stranger"), and that in any case I won't really have much time to explain, so if this is not a good forum to do it, I would understand, but wonder if there's a better forum in the future? I'd just like to get him the track (and if he doesn't like it or doesn't listen to it, that's ok).

Looking forward to meeting folks, if possible. I'll be the dude with the book.

Archived