NYC GRRM BOOK SIGNING July 14th Union Square B&N

I also really wanted at some point to give him a cd of my band, which contains a track I wrote about my imagined version of Arya Stark at the age of 20. I was told that he may not be able to accept the cd on IP grounds (for the record, she or anything else ASOAIF is not named directly, except for "The Stranger"), and that in any case I won't really have much time to explain, so if this is not a good forum to do it, I would understand, but wonder if there's a better forum in the future? I'd just like to get him the track (and if he doesn't like it or doesn't listen to it, that's ok).

Your best bet would be to upload the track to Youtube or somewhere else online (if its not already) and post a link to it on the board (not this thread, start another thread for it). See what other fans think about the song first and if we like it and don't think it will infringe on his IP rights then it is quite likely news of it will get back to George eventually. I know that's probably not the way you imagine him finding out about it in your mind's eye but it is more likely to reach him that way rather than trying to explain what it is during the frenzy of a signing. Plus having your material online is important to help advertise your band.

I went to the Barnes and Noble yesterday and the lady at customer service said that they would begin seating people at 12 pm for the signing. She said it was going to be extremely strict, in fact she said they might have to close off the entire third floor. Don't know how true that was. From her response she sounded like she had answered my question 1000 times in the past few days.

So I am getting there really early and taking one of my friends who is new to the series with me.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is likely to be extremely packed if they are seating people for the signing at 12 when it is advertised outside the store for 7 pm.

Your best bet would be to upload the track to Youtube or somewhere else online (if its not already) and post a link to it on the board (not this thread, start another thread for it). See what other fans think about the song first and if we like it and don't think it will infringe on his IP rights then it is quite likely news of it will get back to George eventually. I know that's probably not the way you imagine him finding out about it in your mind's eye but it is more likely to reach him that way rather than trying to explain what it is during the frenzy of a signing. Plus having your material online is important to help advertise your band.

Thanks for your thoughtful response! I did put up a thread a couple of years ago, which is probably gone by now, and that thread received some encouragement from the board (thanks board!). Some did question how much the song really applied to Arya because how non-specific I was. The song was released on an album in early '10, was distributed on cdbaby, emusic and Itunes and physically on a boutique Chicago label. I did send him an email containing the song, but he receives a sea of emails every day, so who knows if he actually received it. I'm happy to link the song to anyone who wants to hear it via pm (I won't hijack this thread, and I'm wary of starting another thread because I don't know what forum to do it in). Thanks again.

Seating at 12? Darn, I work until 5. I will have to pay a homeless man to save my seat.

Of course, the 12 seconds I'd get to spend with George are secondary in importance to drinks with the BwB, so if it gets signed, it gets signed. If not, I will have to go to a Con. :P

Can we make a rule that if you're coming out for drinks afterward that you'll have either A: read the book by then, B: will not be offended by spoilers, or C: promise to get drunk enough that you will not remember spoilers? Because I will not be able to shut up about the book, I'm sure. :P

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've been a fan of the ASoIaF series for a long time. :) I'll be going to the book signing. I've already pre-ordered the Nook version of ADwD because I can't wait to read it, but I'm planning on getting to BN early on the 14th so I can buy the hardcover there.

I pray they do not have people sitting at noon. I am hoping bracelets or something are given out. I am sure we will find out as the date gets closer.

I will be coming with my wife and cousin. Professor Thom's sounds like it could be fun. I will check back as the date approaches to see the final plans.

I hope Barnes and Noble does the right thing.

Does GRRM really hang out with you guys after signings? That would be pretty cool.

Does GRRM really hang out with you guys after signings? That would be pretty cool.

In the past, he has. But I don't think it's very likely that he'll be able to do so this time around, as Parris has already pointed out. That said, maybe we'll get a pleasant surprise at the bar afterwards. :)

The best way to meet GRRM is to go to a convention (those can be found on his appearances page). It's much more low key, and there are more opportunities to just sit down and shoot the shit with him and Parris.

Seeing as it's likely to be a difficult place to get books signed, I'm rescinding my request to get a book signed for me at this event. I'd feel like utter shit if I got a signed copy without even being there, meanwhile people potentially standing on line for hours don't get anything.

Maybe someone can get me a copy signed in Reno. (George *is* going to Reno, right? I have no idea about these things.)

Thanks anyway, guys!

I always forget to look up this far on the boards and check out these meeting threads! :-)

I work that day, and then have a late appointment so no way can I get there before 6:30 at the earliest. so its unlikely I'll get anything signed.

but, if any or all are meeting for drinks afterwards, let me know! :cheers:

Just wondering, is anyone really planning to show up at 12:00? Being blissfully unemployed, I can show up whenever I feel like it, but keeping a seat warm for seven-odd hours is a bit much, even for me.

We'll be calling this weekend to determine what is the true answer to the seating situation (I've seen elsewhere that seating won't begin until 5pm, although I can't remember who had reported that).

Just wondering, is anyone really planning to show up at 12:00? Being blissfully unemployed, I can show up whenever I feel like it, but keeping a seat warm for seven-odd hours is a bit much, even for me.

Ugh, I know. I'll do it if I have to but I don't even know if it's worthwhile. I'm taking the day off anyway. I assume GRRM will not sign other novels in the series? I saw some sweet reissues of books 1-4 and they look ripe for a signature.

The earliest I could arrive would be about 2ish. The B&N website still says that seating won't open till 5pm so I'm hoping the worker was misinformed and they are going to stick to what is on their website. I plan to call and confirm though.

We'll be calling this weekend to determine what is the true answer to the seating situation (I've seen elsewhere that seating won't begin until 5pm, although I can't remember who had reported that).

Thanks so much! I hope the 5:00 thing shakes out, but in any case, I'm really starting to look forward to this signing.

With all the confusion over time, let's remember what's important.

Drinks at Professor Thoms at what time? Somebody somewhere is going to have to listen to me talk about ADwD, it may as well be people who will also be gushing over it.

I most likely won't be coming now. We Found out today that my sister in law has only a few days left (cancer). Even if the 14th doesn't interfer with the funeral, it just seems in bad taste for me to attend a party when the husband and his family are greiving.

The husband says if we haven't heard anything by then, I should go.

Archived