ADWD coming early?

Lord of Nothing

From the WiC twitter feed:

"A bookstore owner over on our german ASOIAF board says that ADWD is in stores in Germany from Wednesday on."

If that's true then this is surely for real.

Good news.

I have the order page open trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not.

1. It's too good to be true!

2. I still placed an order - how could I resist?

Amazon.de says thay will ship it tomorrow. Since I live in Sweden, that would mean I would get it by the end of the week. Oh, how I want to believe that this will actually happen, but it's probably just a database glitch...

So, seems that zee Germans will get spoiled B)

Preordered mine mid-May and just got the mail with the updated ETA (June 30)

I don't know, but somehow it does seem rather credible to me. Keeping my fingers crossed... :)

I am not surprised at all.

When AFFC came out, amazon.co.uk started to ship the book 2-3 weeks before the official UK release date. I am pretty sure that amazon.de is not supposed to do this, and this is just some sort of database error (or human error) but I sure do hope that the order I just placed 2 minutes ago slips out before they notice the problem.

I was really intent on buying it at my local B&M bookstore, but two weeks early, I couldn't miss out on that. Especially since I will be on a business trip the week ADWD comes out, so I likely could by the book only 15-16 July.

(But I resisted paying for the fast shipping that would have saved me one day.)

BTW, not only Germans should try this out. They had free shipping to Belgium, and the same 2-3 days shipping time as for Germany in general. Yeah for unified Europe!

Hello people!

I have been reading the forum for quite some time and today I decided to join, because I also live in Germany and got the same email this morning from Amazon.de (I ordered the book about 2 weeks ago) and wanted to inform or ask about it. Now it seems that it's old news :-)

Anyway, we keep fingers crossed! Tomorrow they will have updated the status into "dispatched" if it's true. And I finished "A Feast for Crows" just ten days ago and I couldn't wait!!! Let's see...

Oh, how I want to believe that this will actually happen, but it's probably just a database glitch...

Even if it is just a database glitch, their logistic system is so automatised that they could start shipping out the books before they realise what they are doing.

If thousands of Germans get the book early, by mistake or whatever, is there any possibility that the USA release date will be moved forward?

Extremly unlikley. Well, the official release date will not be affected. Whether amazon.com or any other online retailer will ship early, is impossible to say.

Is this Germany apologising to ASoIaF fans for making them wait ages for the TV show? ;)

Don't forget thousands of other Europeans, and maybe some rich and rabid overseas fans :P

Anyway, I've ordered, and I'm crossing my fingers. Even if I only get it on the 12th, it's still worth the risk and I didn't pay more for it, since I chose the standard shipping.

If thousands of Germans get the book early, by mistake or whatever, is there any possibility that the USA release date will be moved forward?

No. I hope they lift the reviewing embargo though because it will be silly trying to enforce it as dozens of reviews and discussions from ordinary readers flood the markets and bloggers and reviewers are not allowed to talk about it.

There are shades of 2002-03 here, when the UK put copies of Crossroads of Twilight on the shelf four weeks ahead of US publication, to the utter impotent fury of Robert Jordan and Tor Books. I don't think there was ever a proper explanation, but one theory was that warehouse staff just moved them out as they didn't want boxes of books sitting there taking up room in the chaotic Christmas season, and to hell with the embargoes, contracts and selling resrictions.

Archived