[BOOK SPOILERS] What would you like for the TV show to change?

Kadence

It was sarcasm. Not meant to actually be supporting evidence. You'd think you're new to online debates or something.

Well, given the borderline rude comments (e.g. calling other people's opinions joke posts and stupid), it's hard to tell. I don't know you well enough to make such assumptions; especially since you can't 'hear' tone of voice in forum posts.

Sorry. Not budging. Changes will need to be made, but they won't need to make Daenerys invade Westeros in Season 2. Not needed, not happening. There is zero reason to do this.

Fair enough; everyone's entitled to their opinion - especially since this thread's title is called 'Things that you would actually like for the TV show to change from the books'. Meaning, if there ever was a place to voice support for deviation from the books, this would be it. As for there being no reason to do this, I just gave you a list of reasons (and examples of potential problems that can easily arise from them) why having control of where the story is going is good as a principle.

The producers would laugh if somebody pitched this idea to them.

Still with the insults I see.

So the solution to not having a big enough budget to do things exactly as they are in the books is...to make Daenerys and 3 dragons cross the sea and start huge wars in Westeros in Season 2? Hmm. Not feeling it.

Who said anything about huge wars? I just said I wanted Daenerys to finally land in Westeros; thereby allowing her to finally get directly involved in the main storyline and interacting with the other main cast members - instead of waiting for it to come to her like in A Dance With Dragons. I honestly found her storyline in A Clash of Kings and A Storm for Swords rather boring, repetitive and very filler-esque. And from what I hear of A Dance with Dragons, it still was until towards the end.

Not sure why you make a TV series about the books and then change the whole plot.

I think it is worth mentioning that every successful adaptation of a book series into a multi-season TV series has thus far deviated significantly from the source material; from True Blood and Dexter right down to Gossip Girl. I can't for the life of me think of any TV series that stuck to its source books' storyline rather than change it.

Season 1 of Game of Thrones was slavishly faithful to the book, and the producers set forth to put the books into a visual medium, not create a spinoff. They made this clear from the start.

Saying I'd bet my life the producers would laugh at the idea is not an isnult where I come from.

Lastly, Dany landing in Westeros would equal a war. Nuff said. Except, wait, Dany has no army as of right now ... the reason GRRM spent 4 books detailing Dany's quests in Essos was because she had no army and nothing to really win any conflict for the Iron Throne except 3 infant dragons. And it takes time to acquire such things. But forget all that hogwash; she should plow across the narrow sea in Season 2 with 3 baby dragons and her mighty 80 man [women, children, old men/women] khalasar and retake the Throne.

Responding to the argument about the "needs of TV audiences," I'll share a personal perspective on this.

Remember, these were my early days when I had not yet read a single page of ASoIaF, had no idea that the book series even existed (since then, I've read the entire series as well as supplementals, and been obsessively hawking/posting theories etc on forums)...

I was waiting to watch Bill Maher or something and happened to flip through GoT. Wait, I thought, is that an LoTR rerun? Thought I saw someone familiar, and there was that antiqued color palette that characterizes fantasy. Flipped back. Yep, definitely the dude, but that sure as hell isn't Gondor. So I watched a bit. He was saying something about crowns for tournament for the Hand ... I was thinking, so ok, someone's trying to win a princess ("hand") from the king or something, well that sounds pretty standard blah blah I got bored with watching people sitting and arguing, so I yawned, and changed the channel. There was nothing else much on, so I came back and WHOA there was a horse getting hacked through, someone's head getting chopped off, some shiny people, lots of blood. Hmm, this could be interesting... But by the I was distracted by something else, came back a few times, saw a glimpse of more fighting and blood spewing and later oh there's a hot guy. Ooh sex scene. Ok, now another 10 people I don't know talking/arguing about something. But the castles and mountains are...wow. And those gowns. Really dig that opening cello music sequence too.

Basically, as a complete blank slate with a casual relationship with the series (seeing one or two bits of it at a time), most of the time I honestly had no idea what the heck was going on, and most of my motivation to watch it came out of chance, the "oooh pretty" factor, and the various humorous quips by Tyrion. When I saw it next, I seriously thought I was watching a completely different show, because the setting was so different, and there was a whole slew of people I had never seen before speaking in some language I'd never heard.

If you look at it from the perspective of a new viewer who has NO IDEA at all what's happening, much of the plot, which is relatively intricate in political power play and interrelations of flags, goes swoooshing right over your head. Even later when I watched it regularly, without the precedent of the earlier episodes, I had no idea why that whole "Gold of Head, Black of hair" thing was so significant. Only after I did a marathon run of it from beginning to end through online episodes, did I begin to understand what was going on, and form empathies with the actual main characters of the show (for some reason I had thougth Ros was some main character, from the amount I saw, when honestly in the books, she's barely a sentence of cameo). And of course, then, i read the books and fell in love.

My point here is, that as a casual "commoner" who has no knowledge of ASoIaF, much of what is happening is not going to make sense, and the main thrust of the appeal lies with the...Thrusts (be it sword, or "sword"), until your attention is diverted long enough to parse out the plot. Therefore, you aren't likely going to alienate or win more people over by massively distorting the plotline, because either way, the attention grabbers for the mass "commoners" aren't going to be the details in the plot that got left out, or what minor characters are or aren't there. In this light, it makes sense to gratify the adherents to the book (and maintain integrity) as much as they can given the budget (the bigger question is, not what interests viewers as much as, how much can we fit GIVEN the budgetary restrictions,..).

Time is also not that big a factor, relatively. 1 Hour per episode. 12 episodes in season. 1 season = 1 book. GoT= approx 550 pages.... that's 12 hours for 550 pages. Lord of the Rings was 350 pages per book, and the movies were about 3 hours each. Sooo... Technically, ASoIaF gets about a minute of screen time per page of book, which is twice as much time to flesh out the books that LoTR gets. I think that's more than adequate to fit in a lot of details. Honestly I was surprised at the relative accuracy of the adaptation given the screen restrictions.

The production team has already revealed the reasons for a lot of characters to be cut/merged were strictly budgetary, as well. This may become more lax as the series develops and the earnings rise (as usually they do with repeat contracts, even by exponential amounts for the actors). That being said, I would actually welcome some deviation, which would add spice to the visual map I've already created of the book in my mind.

Most likely, what will happen is that the scattered bits of plotline will be combined to create a more larger cohesive chunks and subtly weave in likely parts of other books ... since a good deal of what happens in 2nd book (under the shooting star) is happening simultaneously anyway (which, given method of reverse-filming and site location considerations, mkes more sense).

I have good hopes for the next installment.

No offense but having Dany invade Westeros in season 2 is just absolute insanity, I mean what in the I don't even :blink:

Anway, I agree with those who say Storm doesn't need to be two seasons. Storm will hopefully be a 12 episode season, with some Storm moved up to season 2 (like they already did with the Jaime-Catelyn conversation). They shouldn't split it into two seasons, but a couple extra episodes would help.

And I agree Feast and Dance should also be combined. People here had good ideas for that like eliminating the Quentyn stuff until he shows up randomly at Dany's place. Almost all of Brienne's wanderings. Much of Tyrion's wanderings and slave stuff can also I believe be cut out. The Meereen stuff can get heavily trimmed and condensed, which by itself would eliminate a lot. There really is no need to waste two seasons worth of budget on Feast and Dance when the material is so heavily condensable into one season. There's only so many seasons HBO can be willing to stick with the show.

Expecting the show to even survive to season 4 is being optimistic. Let's try to get as much translated to the screen from the good books as we can, and eliminate the weakest material from the weaker books.

Nah, as with Dany and her hair not burning off, I don't think we need his nose cut off, I thought a nice scar would have been enough in the books and I really hated that he did that in the book. He can have a scar on his face and that's good enough for me. I think the logistics of shooting it would be pretty hard, just look at the Hound, they pretty much cover most of his scarring with a clump of hair and that's good enough for me.

I don't think Tyrion's nose getting cut off is even possible - I always assumed they'd change that to a scarred nose. And I think Dinklage will only agree to so much makeup; it might not even be a big scar. Dinklage has to have it for the entire rest of the series so it can't be obtrusive to him.

The characterization of Daario and Brown Ben Plumm could be more drawn out as well. Maybe Daario doesn't immediately decide to kill his partners or maybe Plumm is undecided.

On Daario, I expect they will move up the Daario-Dany romance to happening much earlier, perhaps very soon after Daario is introduced.

Bran assassination attempt spoiler:

I don't want the reveal about Joffrey's attempted murder of Bran to occur after his death. I think it would be more exciting to have him gloat about his plot to Sansa or Tyrion, especially right before the wedding scene. One more reason for TV viewers to be pleased about his death!

This is a very good idea. If Joffrey does end up being responsible, he should gloat about it.

I also hope we see more of Robb and Jeyne's love story onscreen.

I think we will.

No offense but having Dany invade Westeros in season 2 is just absolute insanity

I support this. Not only does Dany's side give the show a really contrasting flavor (seeing Dothraki vs Westeros is really interesting) but yeah, what the hell's bells.

There's been a lot of really good ideas along here, and it makes me worry quite a bit about budgetary constraints. A lot of Clash's action takes place of screen, but the locations are plentiful even for what characters they follow. It has Harrenhal, Beyond the Wall, Riverrun, Dany's new Location, Storm's End, the Iron Isles and that's just to name new locations. Let us not forget that the battle in Clash is enormous, and Arya's running is a heavy chunk of scenes as well. Storm is less intense simply because the major events take place where they've all ready been, but there's a lot to consider there as well especially Dany side. How we pray for you, writers.

So, I take it I'm the only one here who watches and judges the show as its own entity as opposed to simply on its faithfulness to the original books?

First off: Why does it have to be? Why does anything have to stand alone? That's really a general peeve, but relates to this and the books as well.

Second: I am not, but you're basically telling them to throw the books in garbage. "He gave us a set-up, so now let's just fuck the world all over." You need to understand that the writers are not only fans of the books, but don't want to re-write every single one. You're implying that there is absolutely no good to be had in what Martin wrote in terms of television, and only by changing it will it be the least bit interesting. They will have to develop new plot, new plot twists, new characters, new sets, and completely undocumented fiction that people will actually believe.

Third: Someone said above that they have nothing to lose by going either way, but the thing you stand to lose is fans of the books. That's a significant portion of the audience, maybe not the predominant bit, but you're not going to bring people in to replace them. Game of Thrones was a widely successful series and many people are prepared for the next season, but I highly doubt anyone's going to jump in.

Fourth: You can't believe the anger Martin will get out of it. He might go Alan Moore on it, it's that stupid. That might lead him to fighting a legal battle, which would delay the show and the books.

Finally: It would basically be going under the nose of the current audience. "Hehe, we're outsmarting you because this isn't the real plot and will leave immense plot holes!" You do not flatter TV audiences by these radical changes, you insult them. People have seen the Map of Westeros, and in order for Dany to arrive in Season 2 she would need at least a few months which would consist in a lot of sailing or teleporting ships (Sam Tarly style). People know contrivances when they see them, and people pick at this more in visual mediums than books.

First off: Why does it have to be? Why does anything have to stand alone? That's really a general peeve, but relates to this and the books as well.

Because it is its own standalone entity. The book does not come packaged with the show, somehow magically materialising before people as they watch it. While some have read the books, many people have not. The show should not require us to purchase supplementary material to properly appreciate it. Yes, its closeness to the book can and should be an aspect of our evaluation of the series. However, it should not be the end all be all of the matter, or even a significant part of it. For instance, if the show glances over the explanation behind a major plot event, should it not be marked down/criticised for it?

Second: I am not, but you're basically telling them to throw the books in garbage. "He gave us a set-up, so now let's just fuck the world all over." You need to understand that the writers are not only fans of the books, but don't want to re-write every single one. You're implying that there is absolutely no good to be had in what Martin wrote in terms of television, and only by changing it will it be the least bit interesting.

No, people are welcome to disagree with what I'd like to see. However, what I'm challenging is the notion that the idea is inherently stupid. Indeed, if the situation was reversed, with GRRM having had Daenerys invading Westeros in the second book while I expressed my wish to see Daenerys stay in the East and further explore the continent instead, these same people would still be calling the idea stupid. Meaning, there aren't dismissing the idea because they think it silly. Rather, they're dismissing it simply because that's not what GRRM had originally written; which I feel is wrong since Game of Thrones is its own separate entity (for reasons as stated above and because it's already been confirmed to be not canon). A good plot is still a good plot, regardless of who wrote it.

Meanwhile, I've pointed out numerous real world motivations and benefits for not having a rigidly committed storyline - from resources to human resources, viewership and the possibility of early cancellation - especially so many years into the future. It is worth pointing out that virtually every book-adapted television series has deviated significantly from their source material. I can't think of any successful ones (certainly not one in recent years) that has stuck closely to the source material from start to end. There must be a reason for this since most of them would likely have been started by fans of the franchises.

They will have to develop new plot, new plot twists, new characters, new sets, and completely undocumented fiction that people will actually believe.

I disagree that this is somehow significantly more work than following the book. Following the book means the writers have to spend a lot of effort researching the books (which deters writers other than hardcore fans of the book series from stepping on board for the project). In addition, effort has to be spent searching for filming locations that match closely to the new locations the characters travel to - with the production team having to iron out the logistics of moving props and equipment to those locations and working in said unfamiliar environments.

Third: Someone said above that they have nothing to lose by going either way, but the thing you stand to lose is fans of the books. That's a significant portion of the audience, maybe not the predominant bit, but you're not going to bring people in to replace them. Game of Thrones was a widely successful series and many people are prepared for the next season, but I highly doubt anyone's going to jump in.

Actually, inflexibility can cause the show to lose the non-book-reading audience; which is significantly larger. People watch and like the show because of its characters and interactions. GRRM only dared to do what he did and added new characters in the books because the readers responded positively to them. There is no guarantee that the TV show's audience will respond in the exact same way. Especially since TV shows tend to be more character-centric (primarily because we actually see the characters) while books are plot-centric.

Also, the heavy amounts of continuity between books/seasons makes it harder for new viewers to get into the series at the start of a new season. This works fine for books because people can and tend to buy and start from the beginning. This is less so for television. As a result, the audience size won't grow significantly with time. Worse, it will shrink as people leave (for whatever reason, be it due to tastes or real world factors/commitments). TV audiences and book readers behave very differently and the show should be adapted to match them.

Fourth: You can't believe the anger Martin will get out of it. He might go Alan Moore on it, it's that stupid. That might lead him to fighting a legal battle, which would delay the show and the books.

No, it wouldn't. It might sour the relationship, at worst, but it won't affect production. The show can add fighter jets and light sabers (which they aren't and I would not want them to!) and there would be nothing GRRM can do. Case in point, see Alan Moore's comic book adaptations (creators being dissatisfied with the adaptations) or the X-Men movie franchise (for lore butchering). However, this is simply a pessimist's view.

Alternatively, he might be indifferent or intrigued/supportive of the changes; changing his perspective on things (e.g. Osha was very different from how he had envisioned her but GRRM loved it). Or, he might even actively contribute to it; allowing him to explore paths he had originally not chosen or ideas that had not occurred to him at the time.

Finally: It would basically be going under the nose of the current audience. "Hehe, we're outsmarting you because this isn't the real plot and will leave immense plot holes!" You do not flatter TV audiences by these radical changes, you insult them.

I disagree with this. It is the 'real plot' for Game of Thrones - which is separate and not the same as A Song of Ice and Fire.

With regards to Myrcella (AFFC Spoiler)

could she not be scarred?

There are too many useless characters... I hope they all stay out.

Just to name a few:

- ALERIE TYRELL

- GARLAN TYRELL

- GATEHOUSE AMI

- THE KETTLEBACKS (Just leave

the one in the Kingsguard

)

- TAENA MERRYWEATHER (AFFC Spoiler

Get rid of her, her arc with Cersei was pointless anyway

).

But Please, Leave AENYS FREY, just to hear someone say his name in the show.

Let Cat stay dead.

For heaven’s sake, whyever not? Lady Stark is awesome! I really like her character.

I’d only go along with not resurrecting her if they didn’t kill her off in the first place, the way Martin originally intended.

And I don’t see how to do the rest of the story if you do that. Too much changes. Butterflies become dominos.

No, people are welcome to disagree with what I'd like to see. However, what I'm challenging is the notion that the idea is inherently stupid. Indeed, if the situation was reversed, with GRRM having had Daenerys invading Westeros in the second book while I expressed my wish to see Daenerys stay in the East and further explore the continent instead, these same people would still be calling the idea stupid. Meaning, there aren't dismissing the idea because they think it silly. Rather, they're dismissing it simply because that's not what GRRM had originally written; which I feel is wrong since Game of Thrones is its own separate entity (for reasons as stated above and because it's already been confirmed to be not canon). A good plot is still a good plot, regardless of who wrote it.

I'm sorry, but having Dany invade in season 2 is an incredibly stupid idea. And it's not just because GRRM wrote it that way. First, given her situation at the end of season one, what is she going to invade with? She only has three tiny dragons and like fifty dothrakis and no ships. If you're advocating moving up her ASOS storyline so she acquires the ships and the Unsullied, there's simply not enough time for having that plus her traveling across teh narrow sea and invading all in season two given all the other stuff the show needs to cover. The only way I could see Dany invading Westeros to work in season 2 is if they spent a ton of time on her story and dropped a lot of plots in Westeros, like the whole civil war, which would be moronic since they set all of them up in the season finale. And that whole civil war would all be rendered moot anyways if Dany just showed up with dragons part way through it.

Also, as others have said, Dany arriving in Westeros several seasons early would significantly alter future arcs and pretty much every storyline would need to changed. This would likely cause the RW not to happen, Stannis' arc wouldn't be nearly the same, if it happened before the blackwater that wouldn't happen; everything would need to be changed.

I disagree that this is somehow significantly more work than following the book. Following the book means the writers have to spend a lot of effort researching the books (which deters writers other than hardcore fans of the book series from stepping on board for the project). In addition, effort has to be spent searching for filming locations that match closely to the new locations the characters travel to - with the production team having to iron out the logistics of moving props and equipment to those locations and working in said unfamiliar environments.

Ok, by having Dany invade early, teh writers would have to come up with tons of new material on their own and change all the plotlines of the major characters. To me, that involves a lot more work than "researching" the books. The whole thing about new locations doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying by not following the book the show will only take place in the old locations from Season one? Not to mention, Dany invading early would be a much bigger strain on teh production team due to costs of dragon battles and everything else.

I'm sorry, but having Dany invade in season 2 is an incredibly stupid idea. And it's not just because GRRM wrote it that way. First, given her situation at the end of season one, what is she going to invade with? She only has three tiny dragons and like fifty dothrakis and no ships. If you're advocating moving up her ASOS storyline so she acquires the ships and the Unsullied, there's simply not enough time for having that plus her traveling across teh narrow sea and invading all in season two given all the other stuff the show needs to cover. The only way I could see Dany invading Westeros to work in season 2 is if they spent a ton of time on her story and dropped a lot of plots in Westeros, like the whole civil war, which would be moronic since they set all of them up in the season finale. And that whole civil war would all be rendered moot anyways if Dany just showed up with dragons part way through it.

A lot can change in one book/season. Remember, in one book, a war between four kings was started. In one book, the Northern leadership was wiped out and the armies broken. Clearly, one book/season can create a lot of change. Also, bear in mind that GRRM originally intended the series to be a trilogy of books. Meaning, in his original plan/vision Daenerys would have been invading by the end of the second book (or the beginning of the third at its very latest), which is what I'm suggesting - season two having Daenerys making real progress towards an invasion with the season closing with it beginning.

Also, as others have said, Dany arriving in Westeros several seasons early would significantly alter future arcs and pretty much every storyline would need to changed. This would likely cause the RW not to happen, Stannis' arc wouldn't be nearly the same, if it happened before the blackwater that wouldn't happen; everything would need to be changed.

Yes, it would. And I don't see this as a major issue. As I pointed out before, Game of Thrones is its own entity separate from A Song of Ice and Fire canon. Also, many other book-based television shows create their own storylines. Meaning, it's nothing new.

Ok, by having Dany invade early, teh writers would have to come up with tons of new material on their own and change all the plotlines of the major characters. To me, that involves a lot more work than "researching" the books. The whole thing about new locations doesn't make a lot of sense. Are you saying by not following the book the show will only take place in the old locations from Season one? Not to mention, Dany invading early would be a much bigger strain on teh production team due to costs of dragon battles and everything else.

There's a lot that goes into research. In order to adapt the book for television, they would have to familiarise themselves with the entire book series so as to know what's important to show and what can be cut. Then, they have to go through it scene by scene for the specific book they are converting and determine what material to make use of and what additional scenes need to be added to better explain the story. Then, they have to organise the chronology and break it down into ten episodes of roughly equal length, in which the major/central characters aren't absent for significant periods of time (e.g. they cannot ignore Robb's storyline for more than two or three episodes in a row).

This is a lot of work that original stories do not have to contend with. Worse, all writers have to go through this process; making it difficult to hire new writers who aren't already well versed/fans of the book. Especially since after all that work, said writers aren't even allowed to exercise their own creativity/ideas. Who then would want to work under such stiffing conditions? All of this makes it difficult to attract writers to the project.

And this is just looking at it from a writing perspective. In terms of locations, writing original stories means shooting doesn't have to move if the production team doesn't want to or feel they do not have the money/resources to do so. Same goes with effects and extras. All in all, writing original stories buys a lot of meaningful flexibility that adherence to the books simply can't have.

Yes, it would. And I don't see this as a major issue. As I pointed out before, Game of Thrones is its own entity separate from A Song of Ice and Fire canon. Also, many other book-based television shows create their own storylines. Meaning, it's nothing new.

Of course it is it's own entity. That doesn't necessarily mean they need to completely fuck up the novels and all the plotlines by having a Dany invade a season early. I see it as a major issue because any adaptation of ASOIAF that doesn't include the RW, the battle of the blackwater, and all other number of major events just to have Dany invade early just in case new viewers might get impatient is a program that I will not watch. I mean, Dany invading several seasons early would pretty much make the whole first season a waste. Everything that was set up in the finale would all be a moot point.

There's a lot that goes into research. In order to adapt the book for television, they would have to familiarise themselves with the entire book series so as to know what's important to show and what can be cut. Then, they have to go through it scene by scene for the specific book they are converting and determine what material to make use of and what additional scenes need to be added to better explain the story. Then, they have to organise the chronology and break it down into ten episodes of roughly equal length, in which the major/central characters aren't absent for significant periods of time (e.g. they cannot ignore Robb's storyline for more than two or three episodes in a row).

Yes, a lot of work goes into researching the books, but I don't think any more work goes into it than creating completely original material. And I maintain that having Dany invade a season early or any other radical departure would require a lot more work. They would have to completely reshape plotlines and still fit into the right timetables rather than following what George already has laid out, which is still difficult, but I think easier than trying to rewrite his story.

This is a lot of work that original stories do not have to contend with. Worse, all writers have to go through this process; making it difficult to hire new writers who aren't already well versed/fans of the book. Especially since after all that work, said writers aren't even allowed to exercise their own creativity/ideas. Who then would want to work under such stiffing conditions? All of this makes it difficult to attract writers to the project.

As far as I'm aware, HBO is not even looking for new writers; I'm fairly sure David and Dan are pretty much the writing staff for the show plus George for one episode a season. And they can exercise their own creativity and ideas, which they did in season one. There were numerous new scenes in the show or embellishments or characters taken in a different direction (Shae, Renly). I didn't necessarily care for all of these changes or new scenes, but the writers certainly bring their own ideas into the tv series and use them.

Anyways, I'm about 99% certain David adn Dan will not have Dany invade in any way, shape or form this season.

<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix" id="rep_post_2703441" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: right; font-size: 11px; ">

• Like This

• MultiQuote

Archived