Erikson: The Bonehunters

Werthead

WARNING: I'M NOT BLACKING OUT SPOILERS IN THIS POST SINCE THE THREAD HAS "SPOILERS" IN THE TITLE!

Great discussion. I read the book quickly, and many things went over my head.

Rhaco said:

A tyrant (presumably the original one) will return to Darujhistan. The Seguleh were that Tyrant's army... and the T'orrud Cabal were/are apparently his undying mage cadre. Barukanal=Baruk, Derudanith=Derudan, Travalegrah=Travale (dead), Mammoltenan=Mammot (dead), ???=Paral (dead), and ???=Tholas (dead). Hope this Tyrant wasn't counting on his Cabal much since he's down to no more than 5 of them.
When was this revealed? I missed it!

2) The missing Seguleh Second is the Soldier of Death, and he's after Skinner. I wonder if this is something Esslemont will run with in his Crimson Guard book.
I don't remember reading this either?!

What is the role of Eres and when did Trull Sengar become the father of her child?

Another scene from the book that I'd like some help in sorting out is Fiddlers card game on the Adjunct's ship. What exactly is he doing with the deck? I got the impression the he not only predicts but also determines the future to a certain extent (Oponn was talking later about how Fiddler was drawing them into the game). He also seems to get information from somewhere (Grub's actions, Keneb's wife) during the course of the game. How does this work?

What is Fiddler's connection to High House Life? The two cards he dealt himself during the game was Soldier of Life and Priest of Life. Is he or will he become one of these two. He is halfway to an Ascendant by virtue of beaing a Bridgeburner so it's not impossible to think that he could choose or be chosen by Life to assume a position in this house?

Kalam ended the game with Obelisk (=Burn), and like Burn he is now sick and unconscious but alive. Is his fate now tied to Burns in other ways as well?

Like I said, I liked it but it's bloody confusiong at times.

The Seguleh Second/Soldier of Death visits Cutter in the D'rek Temple where all the priests were slaughtered. He is angry at Hood for interrupting his hunt of Skinner, and reveals to Cutter some details about Darujhistan and Genabackis. The Seguleh are being held in reserve for something, either to fight for or against this Tyrant (the same Tyrant that's currently on Assail?). The T'orrud Cabal in Darujhistan is also linked to this Tyrant, although their roles are also unclear. But it seems like they've been around for centuries, which explains Baruk's power and knowledge.

I'm not sure what power Fiddler has exactly with regards to the Deck. He has some kind of latent ability with it, as was shown in GotM. His games do seem to influence the future though and even have an effect on gods. I hope his power will be explored more fully in the coming books. He has definitely confirmed his place as my favourite character.

Lupigis, you're right, it's kept deliberately confusing a lot of the time. The best thing is a re-read, which i'm doing at the moment.

When was this revealed? I missed it!

I don't remember reading this either?!

They were both together... The Soldier of Death pops out in front of Crokus and starts chatting away. It's a farly short section in the middle of the book.

What is the role of Eres and when did Trull Sengar become the father of her child?

The role of the Eres is unclear, but House of Chains has most of the detail about this stuff, including Trull fathering her child (iirc).

Fiddler is a fairly powerful reader of the deck (as alluded to in MOI), and since he's now probably quite close to ascendancy I assume that he has a lot of control. I'm not sure about High House Life, it seems like HHL is going to become a lot more important in future books.

The T'orrud Cabal in Darujhistan is also linked to this Tyrant, although their roles are also unclear. But it seems like they've been around for centuries, which explains Baruk's power and knowledge.

Anyone think the Tyrant in question might actually be Raest? (The now sort-of unwilling guardian of the Daruhjistan Azath House) Would explain why baruk knows stuff about him.

Hm, I don't think so. Raest had been imprisoned in that barrow for about 300,000 years, well before Darujhistan's founding (2-3,000 years ago) or humanity having arisen. Not sure how the Seguleh and the T'orrud Cabal could therefore have been involved with him.

Darujhistan was ruled by tyrants in the past (the Rising Time being being the end of the age of tyrants), so I read it as one of those tyrants returning.

I thought the Tyrant on Assail might have been Dessimbelackis, but if that's the case he can't be the same Tyrant we're talking about here, can he? Because otherwise he really did spread his tyranny onto a lot of continents. Seven Cities, Genabackis, Assail ...

well, I finished it :)

I now need to do a full re-read of the series. At this point I have to put TBH as the best in the lot, though that could easily change once Ive dont the re-read. Granted it didnt have things like the Chain of Dogs, but it also didnt have any part that I wanted to hurry through. I think this is Eriksons most solid and complete offering to date.

I haven't finished reading it yet, so I haven't read the whole thread.

However, I just wanted to post about the Y'ghatan chapter. I want to add it to my list of favourite scenes in Fantasy. Top stuff. :D

About Reaper's Gale and Tiste, we have already heard on the Malazan board that Rake is in that book.

Rake is only confirmed to be in the prologue, which is set thousands of years before the main action. I think the quote was:

"They will make alliances", she said. "They will all war against us."

Anomandaris shrugged. "I had nothing better to do today".

But there is certainly scope for Rake to be in the 'present-day' storyline as well.

Slick- I'd love to hear more about the bits you heard about Rake.

Only what Werthead said, sorry.

IIRC, wasn't Lether basically a refuge colony made during or soon after the fall of the First Empire?

I thought that it was a normal colony, made near the end of the empire but when it was still expanding.

SPOILER: TBH
"The K'Chain Che'Malle in the Imperial Warren confused me a bit- were they all dead, or just the one Moon that they entered?"

The ones in the imperial warren are very much alive. The dead ones were in the Moon that Icarium entered, which was in the "real world"

"Seeing more of the moon magic was cool. Is there an unknown relationship between the Ardata and Soultaken?"

Hood only knows, but there's an Ardatha mentioned, iirc, at the start of MOI.

Good point about fiddler, I hadn't thought of that.

Well, all finished. Loved it.

Like Rhelly said, the threads are coming together nicely, rather like one of Quick Ben's string spells. ;)

Fiddler has always been one of my faves in all Fantasy and now he is getting closer to the top.

Bring on the next!!!

Summer 2007, it is rumoured, although I'm hoping for a March-April 2007 release. And then the Gale shall blow!

(ponders how many more lame Reaper's Gale title puns we can get going in the next year)

Recent posts on Malazanempire and the success of my Malazan world map have inspired me to tackled the Great Malazan Timline Debacle (clips on armour and weapons and sets to work on unentangling the mess). Hmm, this may take a while.

I was just thinking the other day how glad I am that I decided to go crazy over ASoIaF and spend time cataloguing all that info for it rather than, say, Malazan. Because I think I really _would_ have gone crazy.

I think the Malazan books are purposefully seeded with so many pieces of contrary, vague, or partial information that it'd just be hellishly hard to really develop it into a coherent whole when you're bound to have to insert all sorts of caveats.

Hats off for attempting the timeline. :)

Actually, it's kind of straightforward so far. Most of the arguments seem to be about the dates which Erikson have already confirmed as erroneous. So root those out, use the ones that are right, slap in the events of Midnight Tides which we've got a good date for now from The Bonehunters, and it all seems to fit together. Aside from the length of time that Trull Sengar spends on the wall at the start of House of Chains, it all seems to work well.

The best bit about the timeline is that Erikson seems to have handed over responsibility for history and dates to Ian Cameron Esslemont, who's double-checked them all for The Bonehunters, which in turn has a lot more consistency and interesting references to events in the past books. Touch wood, but I think this may prove to be easier than first thought.

Archived