A map of the world

Beagle

The Jogos Nhai (I spelt it wrong) are a race of people mentioned several times in the novels. I always thought it sounded like the name of their homeland as well, although that's probably not the case. IIRC, the people are mentioned in Vaes Dothrak as attending the market there, and there are one or two mentions elsewhere. Apparently they like zorses.

Oh thanks a lot. That does ring a bell.

First post, hooray! Anyway, as far as I can tell the prevailing opinion here is that Westeros and Essos are the only two continents of any particular size, or at least that Asshai is on the far eastern end of Essos. Also, many of the maps I've seen depic the Jade Sea as sor of a massive bay, connected to the ocean but still mostly inland. This is just the way I interpreted it, but I always imagined Essos ending (with Qarth, based on some of the awesom speculative maps I've seen here) placed at its southeastern tip. Asshai, then, is situated on the western coast of the third continent, with the Shadow Lands making up the third continent's interior. The Jade Sea, then, acts like a Narrow Sea, just wider and between Essos and the third continent. I seem to recall a mention of "the islands of the Jade Sea (or maybe I'm just making this up), so Yi Ti and the various warrior-women places counld be on these islands.

I also found this speculative map (it doesn't follow my theory, I just thought it was interesting) as a map in sort of an online version of Risk. Sorry about the massiveness of the image, but I can't link to it.

For reference, Asshai is in the east of Essos, in that sort of claw-shaped area. Qarth is in the pink-outlined area.

Anyway, just my two cents.

First post, hooray! Anyway, as far as I can tell the prevailing opinion here is that Westeros and Essos are the only two continents of any particular size, or at least that Asshai is on the far eastern end of Essos. Also, many of the maps I've seen depic the Jade Sea as sor of a massive bay, connected to the ocean but still mostly inland. This is just the way I interpreted it, but I always imagined Essos ending (with Qarth, based on some of the awesom speculative maps I've seen here) placed at its southeastern tip. Asshai, then, is situated on the western coast of the third continent, with the Shadow Lands making up the third continent's interior. The Jade Sea, then, acts like a Narrow Sea, just wider and between Essos and the third continent. I seem to recall a mention of "the islands of the Jade Sea (or maybe I'm just making this up), so Yi Ti and the various warrior-women places counld be on these islands.

It's a nice idea and was popular briefly when the first spec maps were assembled more than a decade ago. However, it's said at one point that the Dothraki have considered riding all the way to Asshai but decided against it. Given the Dothraki fear crossing water, that means that Asshai must be on Essos if they are considering raiding it, and Essos must completely enclose the Jade Sea on at least three sides.

In addition, I believe GRRM has said that there are only three known continents: Westeros, Essos and Sothoryos, with no 'yet further eastern continent' for Asshai to sit on.

Yep, it's been a big part of discussion, but doesn't hurt to link it again, I admit. ;) Linda and I have been working with Bantam and the artist a bit, and have seen some of the preliminary art. This is going to be excellent.

The intro of the fourth episode of season 2 gave us a new view of Essos as the camera panned over towards Qarth. It looked a bit different than the HBO viewers guide map.

My biggest surprise was that half of Valyria appears to be missing. Perhaps that was an oversight. But of course the "intro map" is not meant to be fully accurate, more illustrative.

The intro map is useful as it is based on maps provided by GRRM, although some of these have now been outdated. Still, it's bizarre that Valyria, Slaver's Bay, the Ghiscari coast and Qarth are all distorted and distended. The gist of the map from the books and the HBO Viewer's Guide map is more or less there, but it's been bent out of shape. Also, the Volantis/lower Rhoyne/Valyria area is lacking in any kind of detail, whilst Sothoryos (based on our brief look at it) appears to be fairly detailed.

More fascinating is that as the map pans over, you can see an island west of Naath. Based on prior GRRM comments this must be one of the Summer Islands. We don't get much of a look at it, but it's interesting those islands are on the map.

Most groan-inducing is that rather than the southern coast of the Jade Sea and Sothoryos linking up nicely (as you'd expect from their close proximity), instead there is a large drop away to the south-east, with the Summer Sea apparently continuing off in that direction. That's very surprising, and seems to unexpectely restore the 'Jade Sea=Black Sea' theory, where the Jade Sea is enclosed by Essos on all sides, Sothoryos is just that spit of land on the ASoS/ADWD map and the rest of the continent is off to the south, and we now have the Summer Sea continuing off to points unknown. Which is odd as you'd expect more reports of lands and cities off in that direction, and there are none.

So yeah, that's confusing.

Werthead, I don't know if it was factored in to your maps but I noticed the other day looking at the aDwD Essos map that the Stormlands look like they fit very nicely into the Flatlands, to the extent that I believe GRRM intentionally added some pangaea (the super continent that all Earths continents drifted apart from) esque qualities to the two coastlines. So they look like they might once have formed one continent, in fact we know the stepstones between the Disputed lands and Dorne were once traversable on land. So I just wondered whether you applied the same thinking to the speculative parts of your map, because your north eastern edge of Sothoryos looks like it also once fit snugly along side Essos where the Jade Sea now is.

The relevant bit of the title sequence, showing Sothoroys, the Basilisk Isles, possibly one of the Summer Islands (on the far left of the image) and the apparent gulf between Sothoroys and the area of land south of the Jade Sea.

Ran, can we expect to see the Summer Islands on the Lands of Ice and Fire maps or the worldbook?

So I just wondered whether you applied the same thinking to the speculative parts of your map, because your north eastern edge of Sothoryos looks like it also once fit snugly along side Essos where the Jade Sea now is.

Not deliberately :)

Any thoughts on the proximate region shape of the Slaver_bay and the Dothraki_Sea ?

These seem reasonably fine, although 'Slaver's Bay' as a region (aside from the body of water itself) is debatable. Does it include everything on the maps in ASoS and ADWD or just part of it? I think it's one of the more semantic arguments to be had about the maps.

Also is there anything missing, any spelling mistakes or something placed wrong on the bellow region maps of westeros?

Byound_the_wall, The_North2.jpg, Iron_Islands and The_Vale

I'd recommend having the scale on every map, just to be more useful. And also with both kilometres (for Europeans) and miles (for Brits and Americans) on it at the same time. Having kilometres alone when they are not widely used in two of the primary markets for the books or in the novels themselves is not a good idea.

As for spelling mistakes:

Beyond the Wall

'Queenscrown' is one word. Moletown should also be right next to Castle Black at that scale. You have it way, way too far south. I'd also consider having the full name of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea rather than just Eastwatch by itself (the TV show colloquially shortens it to Eastwatch, but the books rarely do). I'd also capitalise all parts of 'Fist of the First Men'.

The North

I'd widen the map to include all of the Skagos islands (which are all part of the North), including Skane.

Again, 'Queenscrown', not 'Queen's Crown'.

'Kingsroad', not 'Kings Road'.

'Last Hearth', not 'Last Heart'.

'Grey Cliffs', not 'Grey Hills'.

'Dreadfort', not 'Dreatfort'.

'Flint Cliffs' rather than 'Flint Cliff'.

'Saltspear', not 'SaltSpear'.

'Fevre River', not 'Fever River'.

'Barrowlands', not 'Borrowlands'.

'Torrhen's Square', not 'Torren's Square'.

'Oldcastle', not 'OldCastle'.

'Ramsgate', not 'RamsGate'.

The hills around Hornwood should have the name 'Sheepshead Hills' attached to them.

Iron Islands

'Raventree Hall', not 'Ravertree Hall'.

'Pyke', not 'Pike'.

'Saltcliffe', not 'SaltCliffe'.

Again, 'Flint Cliffs' rather than 'Flint Cliff'

The Vale

'Snakewood', not 'Snakewoods'.

'Strongsong', not 'Strong Song'.

'Ironoaks', not 'Iron Oaks'.

'Quiet Isle', not 'Quite Isle'.

Otherwise, looking great :)

Thanks, I have fixed all the mistakes and will reupload them soon with the scale on every map. Before I cut the rest of the regions, here the next part i'd appreciate some feedback on this as well http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9748/draftf.jpg sorry some of labels are little small, but they was created with zoom option in mind, since then I had to upscale them a bit.

Thanks, I have fixed all the mistakes and will reupload them soon with the scale on every map. Before I cut the rest of the regions, here the next part i'd appreciate some feedback on this as well http://img824.images...9748/draftf.jpg sorry some of labels are little small, but they was created with zoom option in mind, since then I had to upscale them a bit.

Okay:

'Ashemark', not 'Ashmark'.

'Quiet Isle', not 'Quite Isle' (again).

'Maidenpool', not 'MaidenPool',

'Rook's Rest', not 'Rooks Rest'.

Kayce (near Feastfires) has not been named.

I'd name Fair Isle as well as Faircastle.

Casterly Rock is immediately north of Lannisport, not a notable distance inland. You may want to double-chech the S2 HBO map, which has them more correctly placed together. Your current Casterly Rock location is actually where the Clegane Keep is.

'Silverhill', not 'Silverhall'.

You may want to add High Heart (as ruins) near Acorn Hall.

'Spears of the Merling Kings' with all major words capitalised.

'Haystack Hall', not 'Haystitch Hall' (a mistake from the maps in the books, and IIRC highlighted in Season 2, Episode 1 when Ros mixes them up :) ).

'Goldengrove' is one word.

'Oakenshield', 'Greyshield', 'Greenshield' and 'Southshield' are the correct names of the islands. I'd also add a 'Shield Islands' name near them.

'Ocean Road' is two words. Conversely, 'Roseroad' is one word, as is (as before) 'Kingsroad'.

I'd add 'Tarth' and 'Estermont' to the appropriate islands.

'Griffin's Roost' rather than 'Griffin Roost'.

'Vulture's Roost', not 'Valtres Roost'.

'Boneway', not 'BoneWay'.

'Brightwater Keep', not 'Brightwtater Keep'.

'Honeyholt', not 'Honeybolt'.

Archived