[ADWD Spoiler] The tom cat with the torn ear

Reggie

Plus, there's an element of skin-changing to what the FM do when they put on faces. The recipient gets memories or impressions of the life of the person they're wearing, and with Arya having her non-sight senses awakened by the blinding, the cat may come into play later on, as she already knows that cat, and could maybe make a connection with it.

Where is this indicated? I thought if anything we get the opposite impression - that it is physical appearance only based on Jaqen making the mistakes about Pate that he did.

• 1 year later...

Obviously upon being told of the black cat Balerion in the dungeon under the red keep by Varys, good Ol' dead Ned made a mental note of the KL cats, and in his dying moment remebered how his daugheter once chased them, and so being a wargy Stark, warged into the cat, obviously.

But seriously, my take on it is that Varys can warg, or mayhaps an informer of his can (but given how he specifically refrences Balerion to Ned in the dungeon makes me think this particular cat is on his mind). Thus he uses the various cats to roam through the ever so small passages between the walls of the castle.

So it turns out Varys doesn't have informers afterall. He is the number one lord of whispers because at any moment he can warg one of the cats infesting KL and get the down and dirty. He only has to trust himself. Not a spider, no little birds . . . a cat all along.

The refrence to this cat in ADWD epilogue and how that epilogue ends only strengthens the idea and adds a bit of delicious irony to Kevan and Cersei's coversation about him. Otherwise it's been strange how Balerion pops up randomly in the narrative again followed by a certain someone. There seems to be some connection.

Obviously upon being told of the black cat Balerion in the dungeon under the red keep by Varys, good Ol' dead Ned made a mental note of the KL cats, and in his dying moment remebered how his daugheter once chased them, and so being a wargy Stark, warged into the cat, obviously.

But seriously, my take on it is that Varys can warg, or mayhaps an informer of his can (but given how he specifically refrences Balerion to Ned in the dungeon makes me think this particular cat is on his mind). Thus he uses the various cats to roam through the ever so small passages between the walls of the castle.

So it turns out Varys doesn't have informers afterall. He is the number one lord of whispers because at any moment he can warg one of the cats infesting KL and get the down and dirty. He only has to trust himself. Not a spider, no little birds . . . a cat all along.

The refrence to this cat in ADWD epilogue and how that epilogue ends only strengthens the idea and adds a bit of delicious irony to Kevan and Cersei's coversation about him. Otherwise it's been strange how Balerion pops up randomly in the narrative again followed by a certain someone. There seems to be some connection.

There's another point in favor of this theory: Arya warging into a cat multiple times in Braavos.

Alternate crackpot theory: Varys wargs into his 'little birds'. We know it can be done, a la Bran and Hodor. That they're referred to as birds would indicate that they're animal like, which might be necessary for warging. It also may be necessary for a creature to be simple minded for it to be warged, like Hodor, although this would require some disingenuous on GRRM's part w.r.t. what we know about the little birds.

I dont think its silly to think the cat has some shred of Rhaenys in it. Rather than being a SOIAF warg, it is a real life warg. Thats why he is generally bad-tempered, but especially around Lannisters.

I think maybe the feline Balerion was being warged by a Targ-hater who suddenly died, which led to the cat retaining some of the warg's mindset. We saw this with Orell's eagle and Jon Snow. If the cat was being warged by a living Lannister hater, he or she would be good natured, to get close to the Lannisters and get info.

Another Stark warg theory: Lyanna Stark was obviously a warg, given that she 'was half horse'. Maybe this is why Rhaeger picked her, to help him control dragons that he saw coming?

Why wouldn't it be obvious? We were shown that Arya can warg cats. We know Arya has a prior relationship with Balerion.

Apparently it isn't obvious to everyone, but it was the immediate conclusion that I jumped to, just like it was obvious to some people that Theon was gelded (not to me) or that Quentyn was the sun setting in the east (not to me).

What the. I know this is incredibly off topic, but Theon was gelded? Was it subtly implied or am I stupid for missing that? :huh:

• 2 years later...

Could it be that Tommen, being a 'Lion', is also a warg? Maybe he can warg into cats. But not this one, because somebody else is already in it, probably Varys/his little birds or Brynden...?

Possible but unlikely. Tommen hasn't exhibited anything more than a normal relationship with his pets. Jamie is indifferent to animals, as is Cersei.

The only other evince for this is that both Jamie and IIC Tommen have talked about 'going away' mentally. Jaime when the Mad King was burning people, Tommen when Jofferey was molesting him. Maybe they are warging?

So glad to see this thread has resurfaced-I looked for it for ages and wasn't able to find it. I just love that cat and get such a kick of how he keeps turning up. I don't have a clue how but I feel he's destined to show up again before the series is over.

Well if it was rha's cat that makes it 20 plus years old. Feral cats don't live 20 plus years in a city like K.L. Espesically when it's mention before that battle of black water bay that there was a shortage of food and some stalls r selling rats on a stick. If it is her cat, then something magical has happened to it in order for it to live as long as it has.

Well if it was rha's cat that makes it 20 plus years old. Feral cats don't live 20 plus years in a city like K.L. Espesically when it's mention before that battle of black water bay that there was a shortage of food and some stalls r selling rats on a stick. If it is her cat, then something magical has happened to it in order for it to live as long as it has.

The food shortage was absolutely minimal in the Red Keep, which is where the cat lives.. ;)

Archived