[ADWD Spoilers] Theon Greyjoy

Sivin

Ok, I planned to tell a story with the opening of this post, but it isn't working out. So I'll jump right into it.

One of my favored characters was Theon Greyjoy. (For reason's I'm not sure of.) Then, he does three things that I am an absolute sucker for. First, he betrays somebody that I like. (Rob Stark was my absolute favorite character.) Second, he takes a very small amount of men and risks all to take the seat of his new enemy. Third, when the world is falling around him, he stays in his captured castle with only a handful of men for an epic last stand. (That last one is what I really like.) And those actions catapulted him to the top of my favorites list

What happened to Theon was absolutely horrible, he didn't deserve what Ramsay did to him. And even though he is a wretched creature at this point, (My god, Martin loves to mutilate beautiful people.) he is still one of my favorites. I am not expecting him to make a remarkable recovery or anything, in fact I won't be too surprised if Stannis has him burnt, but I would love to see Asha try and manipulate him into the Seastone Chair.

Basically, the point of this thread is this: I know that a lot of people hated Theon because of the two children, but is there anyone who is willing to forgive him? Or anyone who already had a fondness for The Prince of Winterfell?

I always had sympathy for the guy. Mostly I think because he reminds me of so many of the men I've known with daddy issues and fractured senses of home, that act out because of it (drugs, drinking, etc.), but that are generally great guys when given the appropriate emotional support structure. Instead of hating Theon through ACOK, I was constantly disappointed in his poor choices that kept getting poorer. I was moved by his soul-search in ADWD, more so than any of the other character arcs of the story.

I should probably hold the Miller's kids against him more than I do, but I can't seem to hold Bran against Jaime, or Mycah against the Hound either. Mostly because it's fiction, and that kids weren't real, but also because so many people have died in this book that forgiving characters that truly regret their misdeeds has become more satisfying to me than continuing to think they should suffer.

I never really liked Theon.

Even in ADWD, as he grew more sympathetic, I still didn't feel for him in his redemption as much as I cared about Jaime.

I think his character is interesting, and is in a really good spot right now, I just never particularly like him.

I didn't like Theon until the title of his last chapter in aDwD. Just seeing his name there again after everything he went through sent a shiver down my spine. The moment where he regained enough of himself, and did what was right by saving Jeyne despite knowing the horror that would be inflicted upon him if he was caught really made me love the guy dispite all his mistakes.

I loved Theon's chapters in Dance. I thought they were the best part of the book. It's a redemption story, which I'm always a sucker for, but it's very well done. There's no big obvious moment for Theon, no amazing revelation, he just somehow manages to reclaim a piece of himself, bit by bit. He starts the book chowing down on a live rat, and ends it jumping from a castle wall with a woman in his arms.

The Theon from Clash was full of hubris. He thought he was smart enough, bold enough, tough enough to play with the big boys ... and he wasn't. And he was punished for that. Oh man, was he punished. I'm very interested to see where he'll go next.

Basically, the point of this thread is this: I know that a lot of people hated Theon because of the two children, but is there anyone who is willing to forgive him? Or anyone who already had a fondness for The Prince of Winterfell?

I've been a Theon fan since he saved Bran in the woods by killing that wildling with an amazing bow and arrow shot in aGoT. I liked that he was kind of an arrogant, smiley dick. In aCoK, I liked him even more. I didn't necessarily like his treatment the captain's daughter, but it fit so well with his character that I didn't really mind. His treatment by his sister and father upon his arrival at Pyke pissed me off, and his sack of Winterfell was a ballsy attempt to earn his father's respect. Trying to hold Winterfell was stupid, and he certainly has a lot of blood on his hands, but really...who in this book doesn't?

I think Theon is a tragic figure who didn't deserve what he got, and I don't only mean the flaying. I mean being trapped between two very different cultures for half his life and having a dick for a father. Yes, he was arrogant and misguided and made some really bad choices, but he really got fucked his whole life. His line "...I wanted to be one of them...", referring to the Starks, really broke my heart.

An amazingly well-written character, imo. I thought so before ADwD, and I think even more so now. :)

I love Theon :)

Martin does a terrific job of making you go from hating him to pitying him. When he’s walking around Winterfell, remembering what he threw away and the things that have happened since, you do pity him. And I hated the character after the Winterfell attack.

Oh sure. Now arrives the Johnny-come-Latelys to the Theon is Tragic, Not a Villain altar with their offerings of condolences and all wearing Sympathy on their shirtsleeves...

Before ADwD, I post my "Sympathy for Theon" rants and I'm ducking rotten tomatoes and stinky cabbage from 2/3rds of the forums members. Pathos? I had to check under my car for explosives every morning.

Now? Now!?! Now it's Peace, Love, and Krakens! Now the female ASoIaF fans are all "Theon, we're soooo sorry. Bolton is such a BASTARD". Two weeks ago? They were walking over Theon in stilettos and giving their back heels a sharp push and a cruel twist.

You fickle bastards/bitches! Where were you when the Prince of Winterfell needed you!! :P

Hah, speak for yourself. He's still a lying git wasting hundreds of pages. And still hasn't suffered enough. Meh.

I wonder if too much exposure to ASoIaF can actually desensitize people to violence. That would explain the childish rantings of people like "Podrick + Arya = Win".

He cowardly murdered two innocent children; I can't forgive him for that, but I thoroughly enjoyed his chapters. I'm glad he was severely punished for what he did, and hopefully this newer Theon will be to accomplish some good. It was brave how he saved Jeyne, and I give him credit for that.

Hah, speak for yourself. He's still a lying git wasting hundreds of pages. And still hasn't suffered enough. Meh.

He was starved, beaten, had half his teeth knocked, was flayed so badly that he begged for fingers and toes to be cut off (which were), and was gelded. Seven hells, how is that not enough suffering?!?

I wonder if too much exposure to ASoIaF can actually desensitize people to violence. That would explain the childish rantings of people like "Podrick + Arya = Win".

Childish rantings? Does that make you feel better about yourself, grandfather/grandmother?

I had a thread about what you just said, but it was censored. What do you say about that grandpa/granny?

Archived