Taena of Myr/Lady Merryweather: a double agent?

uncle fester

Reading through AFFC again and while it's obvious that Taena is trying to get into Cersei's good books, you have to wonder if she's playing a slightly more complex game. She tells Cersei that one of her maids is Margie's spy but is she eliminating one spy to get another, better placed one whom Cersei will trust with secrets?

The fact that the Merryweathers leg it later can be taken either way as their potential protector Margie is also under trial.

Great character though isn't she? Bet GRRM had fun writing her. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be surprised if she worked for Littlefinger. Or Varys.

There was definitely something going on. Every time Cersei mentioned bringing her son to court she seemed to get really nervous and change the subject (although the delusional Cersei didn't notice). I don't know who she was working for, but she was working for someone.

Excellent points. It would probably make sense that she was working for somebody other than the Tyrells.

Regarding her son, that could be taken two ways.

1. Somebody else already has her son as a hostage.

2. She doesn't trust Cersei enough to give her a hostage, i.e. she's willing to risk her own neck but not her son's.

I think she might be

working for the Martells. Remember in ADWD when Doran said they still have friends at court? It must have been someone from the inner circle (especially someone who is very close with Cersei) since Doran knew about the plan that they were going to kill his son.

I think she might be

working for the Martells. Remember in ADWD when Doran said they still have friends at court? It must have been someone from the inner circle (especially someone who is very close with Cersei) since Doran knew about the plan that they were going to kill his son.

that was Ran's theory, and I am willing to get on board with it, too.

I think she might be

Ya i like this way of thinking.Other then that she seems more like someone LF would use then Varys.Think LF would get a great kick out of fooling Cersei so completely and easily.But then whats the deal with Orton?If their son is already hostage to someone else he doesnt strike me as being the best under pressure and i could see him breaking easily so i dont think he is in on his wifes plotting..Id say she just wanted to keep her son out of it.

I think she might be

I like this too. It also makes sense if she's working with LF, since he seems to know exactly what she's up to.

I never could understand why Cersei trusted her, there was definitely something off about her but i never gave it much thought.

I always assumed she was working for the Tyrells until the thing with Margery.

Cersei trusted her because she is dense and was intoxicated by Taena's all-round seductiveness.

It's funny, it seemed obvious that she was playing Cersei, but that theory above is good.

The funny thing about it was that as dumb and crazy as Cersei was, the one thing she had down was the paranoid delusions. It made it so crazy how completely she trusted Taena.

And count me in as someone who thought Taena acted really strange about her son. It was clear it was an uncomfortable topic for her.

Nice to see a lot of people get on board with the theory. I thought it a little more through, and

who else could have told Doran Martell about the plan of killing his son and getting Myrcella back (this is an actual question, not a rhetorical one)? I can't think of anyone who is of questionable loyalty and is so close to Cersei. I don't think the Tyrells made up this plan: it has Cersei written all over it, with the Tyrion blaming and everything. Taena's son not coming to court could have several plausible reasons:

- She doesn't want to give Cersei a hostage, might she find out she in fact is a spy

- The boy is held captive as a hostage to make Taena spy (but I don't think Doran Martell is the kind of man to do this).

- The boy doesn't exist. He has been made up to make Cersei relate to Taena more. This would be dangerous to Taena however, and all this risk just to make befriending Cersei a little more easy?

I'm still going with the first option. Also, Taena working for the Martells of Varys doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, since from the start they were both plotting to back up Daenerys' claim to the throne.

If the Tyrells think she's theirs and Cersei thinks she's hers, then in reality she has to be someone else's. :D

Not sure who that would be — not everyone can work for Varys and Littlefinger — but I think the Dorne possibility is interesting.

EXACTLY.

IMO think she's part of the whole LF/Varys masterplan. She was definitely up to something :smug:

Archived