Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

True enough, but it's the last day of the window so even a club with such lofty aspirations as Arsenal will essentially be reduced to battling it out with 'Arry for last-minute randoms.

'Arry's last minute random a year ago was Van Der Vaart. Rumour is starting to grow, though I really doubt that they're going to manage it, that this year he's going to pull Guiseppe Rossi out of the hat after all. If Arsenal can bring in anyone of that level that'd be fine for them.

I don't know why so many people think Bendtner is dreadful. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is and he can have dreadful games but he's a useful player.

It does amuse me though that when Arsenal did psych tests that included a self-confidence evaluation, he scored 10 out of a possible 9.

If Bendtner were even half-decent at finishing, he would've stopped Barca from winning the CL last season. I still recall that glorious chance he had against them in the second leg.

Anyway, there's no defending him. He's the Samaras of the EPL.

What does he think is going to happen in 25 minutes?

Reminds me of the Obertan transfer request last year...after the window closed. :laugh:

Anyway, reckon he'll be a smarter signing than Modric. Can't believe Chelsea bid 40m for him. Top player, but...

I guess Dempsey is staying put. :crying:

Fulham may have priced him out. So it seems that America will have to wait even longer to find one of our own skilled attacking players on a top club. Wow, even Korea gets more respect than us in football. :tantrum: :leaving:

Interesting to see how the moves made by Stoke and QPR work out.

15m euros/ 12m squid, apparently. There'd been some confusion as to the currency involved.

I'm fine with the price - it's more than we paid for him, after all.

Henderson is a like-for-like replacement, I suppose, but when you take the two fees into consideration...bad business. I reckon Meriles is currently better, too.

so liverpool go from having one of the strongest midfields in the league to being one injury away from bringing up a reserve player. And Meireles can suck a bag of dicks. I really wanted him and aquilani to stay but whatever.

Fulham may have priced him out. So it seems that America will have to wait even longer to find one of our own skilled attacking players on a top club. Wow, even Korea gets more respect than us in football. :tantrum: :leaving:

Why shouldn't they? He's their player, and in any case there's never been any indication that he particularly wants to leave. They have no obligation to sell him to Arsenal for peanuts just coz Americans want him to do good.

As for Korea having more respect- well, to be fair, it's only the two Parks that have really played at a higher level than Dempsey is now (I reckon Lee Chung-Yong will, but then he's technically on a level beyond anyone the US have ever had- and Korea, for that matter), and the US don't really have anyone else who can match Dempsey. I dunno about Chun-Young, but Dempsey is at best as good as Park Ji-Sung, and it's only really the luck of his path into Europe that means Park plays as a (very respected and used in many big games but still) backup for us rather than as the main man for a littler team.

And anyway, his loyalty to Fulham probably earns him more respect than kicking off and forcing a move away from Fulham would. As far as I can tell, more or less everyone likes Dempsey.

₤448,195,000 in the transfer window.

$729,934,000 in US.

European clubs certainly don't sit on capital.

Why shouldn't they? He's their player, and in any case there's never been any indication that he particularly wants to leave. They have no obligation to sell him to Arsenal for peanuts just coz Americans want him to do good.

As for Korea having more respect- well, to be fair, it's only the two Parks that have really played at a higher level than Dempsey is now (I reckon Lee Chung-Yong will, but then he's technically on a level beyond anyone the US have ever had- and Korea, for that matter), and the US don't really have anyone else who can match Dempsey. I dunno about Chun-Young, but Dempsey is at best as good as Park Ji-Sung, and it's only really the luck of his path into Europe that means Park plays as a (very respected and used in many big games but still) backup for us rather than as the main man for a littler team.

And anyway, his loyalty to Fulham probably earns him more respect than kicking off and forcing a move away from Fulham would. As far as I can tell, more or less everyone likes Dempsey.

I guess that it wouldn't be cool for Dempsey to try to force a transfer out of Fulham. But it's anyone's guess as to whether or not the ambition to play for a bigger club is there or not. He may be loyal, but everyone on the planet has ambitions. The only frustration is that, outside of hanging on to Dempsey, Fulham seems to have little to no ambition beyond that. I would imagine that picking up Ruiz is a start. But look at what Stoke just did and they just arrived in the top flight a few years ago. It's just a bit depressing. But no, it wouldn't be better for Dempsey to demand a transfer. Most American fans would lose respect for him despite pulling for such a move.

Archived