Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

Poland 2 Germany 2. Few things are as frustrating in football as watching a bunch of talented players who are unused to playing together, particularly if they're up against motivated opposition. If not for a Polish defender slipping and thus allowing Müller to play a cross to Cacau in the dying seconds of the game this would have ended with a not entirely undeserved first defeat for Germany against Poland.

Götze was anonymous, Klose and Podolski wasteful and Rolfes and Träsch were pretty dire. The latter is really worrysome: for all the great players coming through, there's no fullback in sight who could help stabilise the defence. As it is, the wing not covered by Lahm is always looking really vulnerable. Maybe Höwedes really is the best choice there, he isn't anything special going forward but at least he seems to cope defensively, and it's not like he's going to be desperately needed to fill in the middle.

Everton look short of goals.

Story of my life as an Everton supporter...

However, the last time we looked horrible after the transfer window shut (you know, the season we replaced Wayne Rooney with Marcus Bent) we ended up finishing fourth. I can dream, can't I?

That whole thing is such a crock of shit. Firstly, is it a coincidence that this email, which was sent nine months ago, has suddenly come out when Onuoha's mother (and agent) suddenly wants something out of them - as Onuoha has had a loan blocked days before this leak? Secondly, reading the email, while it does look insensitive, without context there is nothing about it that said he's mocking her cancer. Being jokey about it, yes, and clearly the email should never have gone to her, but mockery? Thirdly, she claimed that receiving the email was worse than actually being told she had cancer. I don't want to sound callous or anything, but fuck off was it. She's clearly using it as a chance to get her client some attention in the media.

I mean, Gary Cook is a complete pleb, but this story is bullshit.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the player's mother kept that email in her back pocket until she needed it. I don't think the email itself was that bad, but to lie and pretend a subordinate had hacked his email account is pretty low.

I knew he wouldn't survive this one. Remember how poorly he handled the Mark Hughes sacking? I get the sense that the city board care pretty deeply about their public image as foreigners who've come into the club; just look at the community outreach they do in Manchester.

The Daily Telegraph had a list of some of his gaffes a few days ago. My favourite was when he inducted a former striker into the Manchester United Hall of Fame and then had to write a letter of apology to seventy City fans. :laugh: What a tool.

James Forrest is on fire for Celtic today. Scored two and been involved in our other two goals, so far this afternoon.

Hope he starts on Thursday night against Atletico Madrid.It'll be good to see him up against López. :)

Atletico Madrid are going to tear Celtic a new one. :shocked:

Most likely. We've worked our asses off all day. Full of energy and hunger. But the next game isn't on until Thursday. You'll probably see real tiredness when we face Rangers next weekend.

Just caught MOTD, there. Interesting day of football.

Manchester teams continue to look very good. As Hansen correctly said, they've taken it up a gear. Winning the league title is going to be a lot more difficult this season. I would fancy United to win yet another trophy, though.

Also, bad times for Sunderland fans. Empty seats and a muted crowd level. Playing against Chelsea, you would have imagined they'd give a better showing of themselves (on and off the pitch). Very poor.

Whereas, despite their troubles, Everton rallied and secured a respectable point against McLeish's Villa side. Spirited fan display.

Shame about Cleverley's injury from that bad tackle. Otherwise another very strong game from United. Hernandez did a good job of replacing Welbeck. Nani excellent as usual. Rooney 8 goals out of 3 games, plus 2 more scored for England against Bulgaria. Stunning.

Arsenal a very, very meagre win against lowly Swansea. Not sure they'll take much heart from that. Chelsea deserved 3 points against Sunderland but again looked far from stellar. Surprised by the Liverpool defeat, though they had their chances.

In Spain, Guardiola rested several top players because of the CL game against AC Milan and this led to a draw. Madrid won of course.

In Germany, Bayern Munich present themselves as the main candidate for the title this year with another guge win, this time 7-0, with 4 goals by Mario Gomez.

Archived