Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

Man U/Chelsea...yawn

Really? Thought it was a pretty exciting game. Certainly not the greatest match in terms of quality, but it made for compelling viewing.

Crazy weekend of football though: I'm still pinching myself at Rovers' snatch-and-grab against the Arsenal. That game was a classic case of the winner being the "least worst" team on the day.

Torres is the opposite of Diego Forlan because he used to be a brilliant striker but now he sucks and Forlan became a world class striker after failing at Manchester United. Maybe Berbatov is the true opposite of Forlan since he got bad when he joined Manchester United. :P

Really? Thought it was a pretty exciting game. Certainly not the greatest match in terms of quality, but it made for compelling viewing.

I'm sure it's just me, but I don't enjoy clashes at the top of the Premiere League. I'm much more of a fan of relegation fights, and the teams at the top of the Premiership don't need me as a fan anyway. This game seemed like a bunch of flubs strung together and committed by some of the highest paid players in the game, with some speculative lucky shots for good measure. I didn't feel any heart in it, just hype. It ought to have been quality, but wasn't.

I like my football a bit grittier and hungrier, less glitzy, and decidedly less blatantly about money and attracting fans from China and New York, no disrespect meant to New Yorkers or Chinese football fans.

In ASOIAF terms, it's easy for me to imagine that this United/Chelsea game may have been played by teams run by Cersei and Littlefinger. I think I would prefer the football of The Wall, River Run or Winterfell, even the Iron Islands. I bet the Braavosi would play a pretty game, too.

Err, are you talking about the guy who was PL top scorer last season?

I wasn't being serious. I reserve the right to mock Berbatov since he was top scorer last season and couldn't get into the Champions League final when he seemed a logical choice and now struggles to get even a few minutes on the pitch. He really should not have retired from international football, playing for Bulgaria is as close to regular football as he's likely to get as long as he stays at Manchester United.

Terrible by Liverpool. Adam and Henderson have looked weak for a while: Adam is too slow and can't tackle, Henderson is not aggressive enough and plays very cautiously. The combination of Agger getting injured (yet again) and Skrtel hopelessly mismatched against Bale made us vulnerable. Spurs played very, very well, and Adebayor is very dangerous -- but will he maintain it, or start sulking again?

ManU out-scored Chelsea without playing that well in midfield. Rooney and Nani were both very good at dropping deep into space to start attacks. Young was surprisingly quiet against Bosingwa, and Fletcher and Anderson didn't have much impact. Chelsea's midfield retained some neat possession at times, but they didn't defend well at all.

During my London trip I also got tickets for the Fulham vs Man City game. I was excited to see Man City play their best 11.

City were the better side and dominated the first half. Should definitlly have scored more than they did, and totally outplayed the home team. Stadium was pretty quiet, except for the City supporters. Then the second half, Aguero scores right fromn kick-off, then the 3-0 got annulled. Totally out of the blue Zamora scored 1-2 and City just fell apart. Then conceeded an unfortunate deflected second goal and basically Fulham had the better play in the second half ever since that 1-2. Just weird to see how a team so outplayed in the first half suddenly got the upper hand. In the end Fulham's efforts made the draw feel earned, even though pound for pound I doubt any one of the Fulham players would make it in City's first 11. Maybe Dempsey. Fulham's a pretty decent team though, they just lack standout players. Dempsey, Dembele are the best that I've seen. New signing Bryan Ruiz should get a starting place though. I feel Mancini made some tactical errors though by taking off Silva and Nasri too soon, it only ended up giving Fulham more of an edge by taking these guys out.

There was an amazing match between Falkirk and Rangers in the Scottish Mickey Mouse League Cup this evening. Falkirk were leading 2-0 with seventeen minutes left but Rangers managed to score two goals in five minutes so that with three minutes left the score was level at 2-2. :eek: Then in the third minute of injury-time Falkirk scored a free-kick from eighteen yards out and won 3-2. :owned:

Speaking of great matches, I am watching one now, Valencia vs Barcelona at the Mestalla. Valencia is going all out, ca`me to a 1-0 lead, then a brilliant Messi pass to Pedro led to an equalizer within a minute. But Valencia scored again, 2-1 at half time. Barca is not playing Iniesta ( maybe injured again) and Villa is on the bench. Fabregas in the first 11, but also Keita, so a 4 man midfield instead of the usual 3.

Madrid just drew against Santander, which is all the more reason for Barca to win. Madrid lost this weekend as well.

Archived