Football: A Dream of Defenders

The Iceman of the North

Just watched 'Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested to the Limit'

Decent programme. Of course, I knew how amazing an athlete he was beforehand, but it was still worth a watch. The sniper test they made him conduct...basically pitting him versus trained men with rifles trying to shoot the ball was quite entertaining.

Just watched 'Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested to the Limit'

Decent programme. Of course, I knew how amazing an athlete he was beforehand, but it was still worth a watch

Thanks for mentioning this, I hadn't heard of it but am now watching it on Youtube and it's a great documentary, highly recommended. Ronaldo is a physical as well as technical phenomenon of course.

Who are the most likely players to score for Borussia Dortmund? I need info before I put bets on tomorrow night's match (I'm going for Dortmund to win by the way). The only one of their players I've heard is Mario Goetze (4/1 on him to score anytime and Dortmund win) but sine I don't follow the Bundesliga I haven't a clue who plays for them.

Who are the most likely players to score for Borussia Dortmund? I need info before I put bets on tomorrow night's match (I'm going for Dortmund to win by the way). The only one of their players I've heard is Mario Goetze (4/1 on him to score anytime and Dortmund win) but sine I don't follow the Bundesliga I haven't a clue who plays for them.

Robert Lewandowski should be playing centre forward, so he's a decent bet. Kagawa scored quite a bit last season but hasn't really found that form again since his injury, but Kevin Großkreutz is good for the occasional goal. Still, if I had to pick one Lewandowski would be my choice.

that one point the toon got out of qpr was more than deserved. the midfield looked hollow sans barton (who looked great as captain for his new club). hoofing the ball up the pitch at each turn was not a sound attack plan. seeing as demba ba was winning header after header after coming on, perhaps he should have been on earlier. the back line kept krul safe the whole match. i really like the pace of danny simpson. our curly haired argentine captain came through big. a point is a point is a point.

Robert Lewandowski should be playing centre forward, so he's a decent bet. Kagawa scored quite a bit last season but hasn't really found that form again since his injury, but Kevin Großkreutz is good for the occasional goal. Still, if I had to pick one Lewandowski would be my choice.

I'm hoping for a proper breakout season for Lewandowski. With Barrios out they do need him to step up.

Dortmund have started the season wonkily, which gives some hope for Arsenal. Are they missing Sahin?

I'm hoping for a proper breakout season for Lewandowski. With Barrios out they do need him to step up.

Dortmund have started the season wonkily, which gives some hope for Arsenal. Are they missing Sahin?

I think they're missing Barrios as badly as Sahin, maybe more so. Gündogan did pretty well replacing Sahin early on but seems to have had some bad games since, but Lewandowski simply isn't quite as good as Barrios IMO.

Apparently Borussia Dortmund's standing areas have been filled with seats for tonight's game against Arsenal which reduces the capacity. Is this a UEFA regulation?

Yes, UEFA does not allow standing areas in its stadiums. German fans, however, love them, so clubs who have them need to convert those areas into seated ones for European games. Kind of sad, really, as Dortmund do have an average attendance of over 79,000 in the league (up there with Barcelona as one of the highest in Europe).

What these threads have been gravely lacking have been discussions of Belarus football. To rectify this, let have a look at a clip from a match from the round this weekend.

How to ensure that your team gets one point...

Have you sent the link to Arsene Wenger? He needs to get a scout out there right now.

Yes, UEFA does not allow standing areas in its stadiums. German fans, however, love them, so clubs who have them need to convert those areas into seated ones for European games. Kind of sad, really, as Dortmund do have an average attendance of over 79,000 in the league (up there with Barcelona as one of the highest in Europe).

That's a bizarre regulation. If the standing area is safe for eighteen plus games a season domestically then it's bound to remain safe in European competitions.

Archived