bring the ice

my sister has a female maltese/shitsu cross named

Shae - I think its a coincidence - she doesn't read for pleasure (the sister not the dog)

actually - i dont think the dog CAN read

edited for silliness

My female Papillon is also named Shae..........she's always seems to be in heat, the bitch! :cool4:

• 5 months later...

What are some of the names you would use from the series for a dog?

I always thought Theon would be a really great name for a dog

but I got to thinking that whenever I would call him I would get a

bad feeling in my stomach because I'm not too fond of Theon

the character.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread I'm new :)

Haha, I think naming a dog Theon would creep me out, considering the scenes of him with Ramsays' dogs, and why Ramsays' dogs are named what they are.

I'm not a big dog person, but I guess a name could work just as well for a cat. I like Danaerys as a name, Arya, Nymeria is a good one. I guess Sandor would be a fitting name for a dog too :lol:

Oh, and welcome! :cheers:

Is this for an actual dog or you're just asking in general? If it's for a particular dog, it would help to know the dog's gender, color, breed, etc. Also, what are your favorite characters? :)

Personally I like Ned and Tyrion for males and Arya, Meera and Asha for females.

Is this for an actual dog or you're just asking in general? If it's for a particular dog, it would help to know the dog's gender, color, breed, etc. Also, what are your favorite characters? :)

Personally I like Ned and Tyrion for males and Arya, Meera and Asha for females.

Just in general so far. I really want a dog and knew that I wanted to use a name from the series.

Good question, i love naming my pets from books and shows etc i have a male cat called Hiro Protagonist, and two girls called Kaneda and Naboo :D

From this book id be thinking Drogo, Nymeria, Jhiqui, Benjen. . Its hard to say without knowing the animal first.

I have two kitties called Nala and Kiara, from the Lion King :smoking:

Yeah you'd have to know what the animal is like first, so you can pick a name that fits. Nala means 'the gift', and he (yes he, we thought he was a girl but he was, ehm, slow to develop, shall we say) was a gift for me during a very rough time, and Kiara means 'little dark one', which she most certainly is :lol:

Anyone ever wants to talk cats, big or pet cats, come to me. I could go on allllll day :rofl:

Unless you're talking about the fairly long and elegant names one can bestow on a purebred dog's registered name in a kennel club (American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, British Kennel Club, and other kennel clubs around the world), many of the names in ASoIaF are a bit long or unusual for dogs. Of course, if you don't mind getting funny looks or questions when you tell someone who's asked the dog's name that it's Beric Dondarrion or Tyrion or Rhaegar, or, if a female, Daenerys (better make it Dany) or Arya.

It is just a matter of time before ASoIaF names turn up in Westminster kennel club dog show catalogues; which will amuse me no end; I've seen various LOTR allusions, as in a "Mister Baggins" Bearded Collie who won the Herding Group at Westminster in 2011.

Stick to a simple name - Rayder (for Mance Rayder), Robb or Robert, Margaery (I know a cute Golden Retriever named 'Marge', of course her owner never read ASoIaF), Rickon...at least my opinion.

Of course, explaining the ASoIaF origin of your pup's nickname can make for an interesting icebreaker. I had a dog, many years ago, who I named after Owen Glendower, the historic last independent Prince of Wales; and often, as I explained this to various other dog owners who asked about his name, the person's eyes would start to glaze over, or they'd have to suddenly run off and attend to their dog...

Archived