Natalie Dormer Interviewed

Westeros

So instead of introducing Margarey and her dynamics with Renly earlier, we introduce her when Catelyn arrives? I'm not sure how that makes the former superfluous. One has to convey the same information either way.

Now, there might be aspects of the former that are arguably superfluous but I don't think we get anywhere when we end up arguing whether some scenes of violence/of a sexual nature are superfluous or not. Its HBO. Both happen. And its not foreign to the source material either.

aCoK is longer than aGoT btw. (My hope is that they don't feel tempted to squeeze in a lot of aSoS material just because it is exciting, on top of all the aCoK material that they have to cover).

Well to be honest i wouldn't blame them . ACOK is pretty boring in the first half of the book and is actually my least favorite book of the series .

So instead of introducing Margarey and her dynamics with Renly earlier, we introduce her when Catelyn arrives? I'm not sure how that makes the former superfluous. One has to convey the same information either way.

Now, there might be aspects of the former that are arguably superfluous but I don't think we get anywhere when we end up arguing whether some scenes of violence/of a sexual nature are superfluous or not. Its HBO. Both happen. And its not foreign to the source material either.

aCoK is longer than aGoT btw. (My hope is that they don't feel tempted to squeeze in a lot of aSoS material just because it is exciting, on top of all the aCoK material that they have to cover).

I have to agree with Anti-Targ on this issue. I don't really see the point in spending time on teh show setting up the Renly-Margaery relationship.

He's going to die around halfway through the season, and his relationship with Margaery just doesn't go anywhere interesting. The marriage is only important plotwise in that he secures Highgarden to his cause; nothing interesting character wise happens between him and Margaery in my opinion that justifies giving them new scenes and not just introducing them as married when Cat arrives. Plus, I think a failed consummation scene between the two of them would just be awful, tho it looks like that's likely.

I could see building up Renly more with new scenes so his death means more, but I always thought his death was more important in showing the impact on other characters than feeling bad for him. His death shows the lengths to which Stannis will go and the threat he poses, and also of course puts Brienne in Cat's employ so to speak.

Maybe the writers can find a way to make the Renly Margaery plotline compelling with new scenes, but I think the way GRRM set up Renly's situation through dialogue by other powerful players--Stannis, Tywin, Catelyn--is enough. Plus, any new scenes involving Renly and Highgarden also take screentime away from POV chapters from the novel.

Plus, any new scenes involving Renly and Highgarden also take screentime away from POV chapters from the novel.

Actually, I think it's a good idea. Cat in ACOK is boring wench, we take some scenes from hers POV and other non-productive characters and problem solved. We got Marg-Renly-Loras and Robb-Jeyne.

Actually, I think it's a good idea. Cat in ACOK is boring wench, we take some scenes from hers POV and other non-productive characters and problem solved.

I'm not sure about Cat been boring. Do you mean because she spends her time observing rather than doing stuff? (Until her last chapter anyhow).

They might drop most of Cat's travelling (minor part in the story) but I can't see how most of her activities will be cut (early on with Robb, meeting Renly, off with Brienne and interogating Jaime).

aCoK is pretty boring in the first half of the book and is actually my least favorite book of the series .

ACoK is the book I am most fond of (because I realised that book 1 wasn't a fluke), so I can't agree with that. I like that the characters get a chance to breath rather than been thrown into the next big dramatic event. And even if I did agree that it was more boring, there is still more pages to cover and we've got new scenes been added. I can't see how it would benefit us fans of the book if they have to try to squeeze all of that and a good few aSoS chapters into S2.

I don't really see the point in spending time on teh show setting up the Renly-Margaery relationship.

I think the way GRRM set up Renly's situation through dialogue by other powerful players--Stannis, Tywin, Catelyn--is enough. Plus, any new scenes involving Renly and Highgarden also take screentime away from POV chapters from the novel.

I'm not saying they should spend lots of time on Renly-Margarey. There probably will just be a few scenes and it will be about more than their relationship. We learn more about Renly and the Tyrells (who have an increasing role in the books). And making Renly more sympathetic is probably a good idea.

My main point though is that if we are going to learn this information anyhow, we might as well see it rather than have it explained to us by Stannis or Tywin. Show don't tell still works after all. :) Different medium etc.

(PS: I'm dubious about seeing Renly having sex with Margarey, given his relationship with her brother).

I think that seeing some of the Renly-Loras-Margaery dynamic while Renly is still alive would be an excellent addition to the series, well worthy of some screen time. It is a relationship that the books don't really explore, but you have to figure there is some excellent tension there when a knight's lordly (kingly?) lover marries his sister. I especially want to know what Margaery's expectations are of Renly in light of her almost-certain knowledge of his romance with her brother. This cannot be 'told' - since there isn't a really credible source other than those three.

In neither AGoT nor ACoK do we have a PoV who has any real knowledge of or understanding of Loras or Margaery. Even Renly is almost as much a mystery as Eddard only knew the boy. But they are too important to the story of the clash in Clash to not be given some depth. This requires scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do not like this casting. In part because Ive seen her act before, and because I like everyone to be a fresh face as a character, but more than that, because the casting of her signifies that they are going to play Maergery as an overthetop schemer, instead of a subtle one.

When Ive said I saw Dormer act, I meant badly. She would do well to learn from Alfie Allen, who's character is defined in part by his smiles. You see, Allen can actually act around the smile, and act quite well. She on the other hand just lets her smirk do all the work.

I really do not like this casting. In part because Ive seen her act before, and because I like everyone to be a fresh face as a character, but more than that, because the casting of her signifies that they are going to play Maergery as an overthetop schemer, instead of a subtle one.

When Ive said I saw Dormer act, I meant badly. She would do well to learn from Alfie Allen, who's character is defined in part by his smiles. You see, Allen can actually act around the smile, and act quite well. She on the other hand just lets her smirk do all the work.

Agreed

• 4 weeks later...

I t

Whilst I don't notice bad acting persay-really only notice bad acting when the dialogue is bad- Natalie seems to sexy and old to play Margaery.

I

Archived