Arya & Jon

StarkWolf

How about a "Let people ship whatever they ship" platform/public announcement? Obviously, the pairings you talk about did not come to be because people thought there was a lack of other options, but because some of them are genuinely interested in what they think is a possibility for romantic subplot for the future books. No character "has to" marry anyone, but you do want some of them to marry and have ideas as to whom they should marry, do you not? It's the same for others, just the personal preferences differ.

It's perfectly fine that you're squicked out by incest and don't want Jon to end up with a woman of his family, but a little understanding for other fans would be nice.

Of course, people have the right to like whatever pairing they like and I have the right of not understand that pairing at all. I haven't insulted anyone as far as I know (I quite like posters Arya Targaryen and Ghost the direwolf and both support this ship), or said to anyone "stop shipping this pairing" if I don't get this pairing, I don't get it and that's all. About the platform, I was only making a joke that was not even directed to posters but more like a wishful thinking of mine, I haven't seen anyone bothered by it :dunno: If any of you guys have felt insulted, I apologize, it wasn't my intention at all :blushing:

Yes, everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, I admit I got kind of carried away there.

But it's just that I can't see any basis for this ship. With Dany, Val, Asha, Alys, Melisandre, or Arya/Gendry, Sansa/Sandor etc. I sort of see where people are coming from. Not here. Sorry.

Well, I'm not a Jon/Arya shipper, but I think some of the points that were brought up in this thread make up some basis for it. They both have character traits that the other appreciates, Arya shares some of hers with Ygritte and is always compared to her by Jon (similarity to the previous love interests/people character liked in a romantic way is a pretty standard point in a pairing's favor), and like Alia of the knife said, if Jon fell for Arya while she was in disguise, that could be an allusion to King Arthur and Morgana's story. IIRC, it was also brought up in-universe, when Ygritte asked Jon if he would sleep with his sister, but I'm not sure about that. IDK what other arguments for it are there, but I think it's more of a basis than those for Jon/Asha or Jon/Alys, where the only points, if I'm not mistaken, are that they have personal qualities that Jon likes and in Asha's case that he could marry her to bring the Iron Isles into the Seven Kingdoms.

Of course, I agree.

That's not the point. The point is that within the story the perception of those characters of one another would not change because they get to wear the label 'cousins' instead of 'siblings'. At least not with the way I understand those characters. Drawing real life parallels should merely help to explain that.

I don't think Jon and Arya will stop seeing each other as siblings either. But I think in general gradually changing the perception of each other from 'siblings' to 'cousins' is possible. And there isn't just one way the storyline could happen; as pointed out, people who grew up together and think of each other as siblings do fall in love sometimes, so while not likely, it could happen even before/without the R+L=J reveal.

Of course, people have the right to like whatever pairing they like and I have the right of not understand that pairing at all. I haven't insulted anyone as far as I know (I quite like posters Arya Targaryen and Ghost the direwolf and both support this ship), or said to anyone "stop shipping this pairing" if I don't get this pairing, I don't get it and that's all. About the platform, I was only making a joke that was not even directed to posters but more like a wishful thinking of mine, I haven't seen anyone bothered by it :dunno:

No, I'm sorry, I didn't think you were insulting anyone and I shouldn't have been as snappish. I just got irritated by all of the negativity in this thread, because while J/A is not among them, Jon/Sansa is one of the pairings I like, and most of the arguments against them are similar and have been repeated basically a thousand times on this forum.. "There are people [a character] could get with other than his/her family, why would you ship them?" is one of them, but not at all on the same level as the others, so I shouldn't have overreacted.

Well, I'm not a Jon/Arya shipper, but I think some of the points that were brought up in this thread make up some basis for it. They both have character traits that the other appreciates, Arya shares some of hers with Ygritte and is always compared to her by Jon (similarity to the previous love interests/people character liked in a romantic way is a pretty standard point in a pairing's favor), and like Alia of the knife said, if Jon fell for Arya while she was in disguise, that could be an allusion to King Arthur and Morgana's story. IIRC, it was also brought up in-universe, when Ygritte asked Jon if he would sleep with his sister, but I'm not sure about that. IDK what other arguments for it are there, but I think it's more of a basis than those for Jon/Asha or Jon/Alys, where the only points, if I'm not mistaken, are that they have personal qualities that Jon likes and in Asha's case that he could marry her to bring the Iron Isles into the Seven Kingdoms.

Fair enough. It's really all about perception and interpretation(well, as always is the case with fictional literature).

I don't think Jon and Arya will stop seeing each other as siblings either. But I think in general gradually changing the perception of each other from 'siblings' to 'cousins' is possible. And there isn't just one way the storyline could happen; as pointed out, people who grew up together and think of each other as siblings do fall in love sometimes, so while not likely, it could happen even before/without the R+L=J reveal.

Har! Now who's drawing real life parallels XD. No, sorry, I know what you mean, of course that can happen sometimes. I just don't think that turning one of the very few healthy and loving brother/ sister(cousin) relationships into something sexual would be good or convincing storytelling. Again, all about perception.

I'm sorry, I didn't think you were insulting anyone and I shouldn't have been as snappish. I just got irritated by all of the negativity in this thread, because while J/A is not among them, Jon/Sansa is one of the pairings I like, and most of the arguments against them are similar and have been repeated basically a thousand times on this forum.

No problem, I'm not the type who takes thinks personal or serious over a message board but the last I want is to make other people upset, I like to respect everyone's opinion. Everything's fine for me, in the end, we are here to enjoy and discuss about something we all love :)

Edited for terrible english :stillsick:

For myself, and this is just me, when I think, or speculate about where Martin might go, (which is a tall order), I consider what Martins influences are and the generation he came up in.

He is a history buff with a concentration on the feudal period, specifically Planganet politics.

As a child, he would have gone to the movies on a Saturday afternoon and saw movies like "Frankenstein", (Gregor), "The Wolfman," (Starks), and enjoyed all the serial Cliffhangers.

He also would have grown up on the classics like King Arthur, Ivanhoe, Lorna Doone, and Last of the Mohicans.

He probably would have been an avid comic book fan, as well into Asimov and Frank Herbert, while his contemporaries are likely Michael Moorecock and George Lucas, (as well as many others).

As an America Author, the Native American legends of Shape Shifters would also have been a factor as well.

I try hard to keep my own bias out, though I do have my preferences, but I think you can see many elements of all this in ASoIaF, and thats not wrong, because they are all good stories, and being "original" these days is hard, because there is not much left to tell.

I'd rather read, or hear a good story anyday even if it's been done before, over an attempt at an "original," but badly done story, and I hope Martin stays on the "good-storytelling" path.

Is there a literary possibility he could take Jon and Arya down the Arthurian path?

Sure, but as I said, only if he intends to make them tragic, which there has been too much of that already, so I think they end up with different people.

It can still come at a sacrifice if he had to give Arya over to Aegon in marriage to heal the North and South, which he may if he ends up as the King of the North due to Robb possibly legitimizing him.

The North want a Stark King whether it would be Jon, Bran, or Rickon, so Arya is a Princess in her own right now, which would make it doubly tragic if she falls in love with Ned Dayne.

maybe she'll fall for Gendry...

[edit: and maybe we should open a thread named "the matchmakers" :P]

For the first part - I could go with that.

For the second - eehhhh that could turn rather ugly really quick, if only because of misunderstandings and not bad intentions. But would be interesting to assemble a list of existing 'ships' :laugh:

So there are exceptions to the rule and some people are attracted others with whom they have a sibling connection/grew up with, but it's not possible for members of the Stark family to be one of those exceptions..?

I'm not saying it's impossible. I said in this very thread that I gave it a 2% chance.

I just think it would be repetitive, and irrealist since there is already a brother/sister couple, and that the ship in itself comes from nowhere.

• 1 year later...

I guess no one could say he CANT be B&L's... but what makes you think he is? Or maybe you could start a thread on it... Even on re-reads I have not read anything that lends itself to that theory. Then again, I've missed a lot of good sh*t that I only later learned from these boards lol :)

I toyed with the idea of B&L or B&A but the time lines don't match up, we was dead at least a year and a half -if not two- before J was born

I never got that impression... The only impression I ever got was that they had a great bro/sister relationship, and were somewhat bonded by each feeling "different." (Jon as the bastard, and Arya as the anti-lady).

If those 2 ever got together, I think that I would vomit in my mouth. Their relationship is perfect as-is... Big brother to a little sister.

i havent seen any indication in any of the books that this could be possible. what makes you think so? im intrigued i havent heard of B+L before

I personally don't think Arya and Jon will become an item. when reading the books I did notice a lot of scenes providing us with examples of their strong relationship and deep love for one another, but in those examples I didn't find anything ABNORMAL for a brother and sister like so many people here are claiming, I think if you have a quote of a chapter that proves, or heavily implies the notion that the relationship will become incestuous (which it would feel like to them reguardless of R&L=J) then I would very much like to see said quote . they are the closest of the Stark children, being that Jon was an out cast for being a bastard, Arya was an out cast because she is tomboyish, they are very similar in many ways (at least while they were in Winterfell) which is why Arya worried she was also a bastard. I feel like GRRM has given us this tight relationship for a different reason, I think its an example of the loyalty and strength of family bonds for the Starks (Arya and Jon being the most Stark-y children of that generation) . mayhaps it is even to do with their eventual fate regarding the realm. who knows, only GRRM, but I understand that some people are very into this idea and I hold No grudge against that, I just don't think Jon (who time and time again has shown his honourable ways and sticking to a strict code of conduct and moral values) would be someone to have such feeling for a person he truly loves as a little sister. I know I have a deep love for my siblings and even nephews, to the point I would do anything for them, I think its a normal way to feel about a cherished member of a close family. I always felt their relationship was one neat little vice in the horrible word of war and turmoil, I think its just one more thing set in place to make us hunger for the reconciliation of the Starks. further more im not one of the people who think Jon would have an happily ever after type ending :crying: where he might be King, or warden to the north, or even marry. as much as I would love for him to have that, I just don't see the story ending like that

• 4 months later...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who think that Arya Stark and Jon Snow could be future lovers

Well I think Kissed nailed it and its important to note it is sort of the un-Jamie and Cersi sibling relationship. They may be lovers (C&J) but in many ways Jon and Arya are just as close they are so far as I know the only other POV siblings who have the same absolute faith in each other and unlike the other pair have not lost it.

Archived