Arya & Jon

StarkWolf

Even re-reading this thread after so long, and considering the automatic urge to vomit this thoery seems to invoke in others, I'm still just as convinced as ever that Arya and Jon will be romantically linked in the end. Time will tell. I could be totally wrong but thats where I see it heading.

Anyway, haven't been around for a while. Looking forward to browsing the forum for all the latest goss!!

Actually I agree, for few reasons. Allys and Ygrette two of three woman Jon was attracted to remind him of Arya and even Val have few things in common with the woman Arya is growing into. And Gendry does reminds Arya of Jon a little. They are substitutes. Arya/Robb or Arya/Bran would be well...yuck. The only character that thinks of someone as often as Jon of Arya is Jamie with Cesrsei on his way to her from Riverrun. I really hope their reunion will be a happy one. They are very different people than they have been but I actually think that they are kind of growing for each other. The big question is if they will meet before or after one of them or both know they are cousins, either way this attraction will be one more thing for Jon to brood over.

:leaving:

No, just no, just the thought of it is :ack: they are siblings and are not Targs or Jaime and Cersei!! :D

Agreed!

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that there might be a romantic relationship in the cards for those two. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm an only child, but what I read about them is love between siblings, pure, innocent love. They are each other's favorite family member it seems. And seriously, it doesn't make one bit of difference if they're halfsiblings or cousins - the grew up together and think of each other as siblings. They are no Lannisters or Targaryens.

A wolf does not mate with another wolf from his pack!

Whew. Sorry.

So Ygritte reminded Jon of Arya. Big deal.

Jon's lover can have stuff in common with his sister, and that doesn't mean that he arbors secret feeeeeeelings for the latter.

It only means that both Ygritte and Arya are independant, nature-loving fighter girls.

My brother and my ex-boyfriend shared similar hobbies and a sense of humor, and I do not have incestuous feelings for my brother. He just so happens to have stuff in common with my ex. Fin.

Agreed!

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that there might be a romantic relationship in the cards for those two. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm

an only child, but what I read about them is love between siblings, pure, innocent love. They are each other's favorite family member it seems. And seriously, it doesn't make one bit of difference if they're halfsiblings or cousins - the

grew up together and think of each other as siblings. They are no Lannisters or Targaryens.

Whew. Sorry.

It all starts out pure and innocent,just like jaime and cersie were... :devil:

Btw my lady check out the mrs.lannister thread,its chaotic!!

Agreed!

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that there might be a romantic relationship in the cards for those two. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm an only child, but what I read about them is love between siblings, pure, innocent love. They are each other's favorite family member it seems. And seriously, it doesn't make one bit of difference if they're halfsiblings or cousins - the grew up together and think of each other as siblings. They are no Lannisters or Targaryens.

Whew. Sorry.

I don't get it, are there not enough women in Westeros that people end up always pairing poor Jon with a woman of his family? :bang: it's time to start the platform: For an incest- free future for Jon!! :commie:

I don't get it, are there not enough women in Westeros that people end up always pairing poor Jon with a woman of his family? :bang: it's time to start the platform: For an incest- free future for Jon!! :commie:

Maybe it's time for another public service announcement a la "Targs are not immune to fire!"

"There are more than 5 women in Westeros and not everyone has to marry their relatives!"

Gah.

Asha was fairly unattractive in her youth, which is why Theon commented that his sister was was a sea hag, or something like that. Asha, blossomed into an attractive woman, unlike the ugly girl Theon remembered from his childhood. And if i am correct, Theon was humiliated and disgusted once he was aware of who she was. Incest between siblings is not a common practice in Westeros. The Targaryens and Jaime/Cercie are the exceptions, not the rule.

Arya wasn't attractive at all at the age of 9. Horseface? I know Jon said she was pretty, for me it would mean some average-looking child. But she may become a VERY attractive young woman. Theon was of course disgusted, since he knew Asha was his sister. The point is, Jon (and Arya) would know they are NOT siblings but cousins. And there is nothing wrong with it (according to Westeros standards)

I would very much like a Jon/Arya relationship. As I understand the main reason against it is their existing brotherly-sisterly love towards each other, and that they grew up together.

Well, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think there is such type of love as "brotherly-sisterly". Love (towards anybody: lover, sibling, parent or friends) means a lot: trusting in each other, like the presence of each other. To share your problems, seek help, or willing to help even if it has some cost. When the other person can make you smile, or make you forget problems for a while. When you do a lot of things together... and I could list a few more things.

Did you get what I was talking about? It doesn't matter if it is a brother or just a friend: you sort of feel the same things. But you may have different experiences with them. But the feeling is very similar if not the same.

You need all these things in a lover: but you need one more thing which is unique: You need to be attracted sexually towards the other. If you have all the trust, liking each other AND the sexual affection, then it is LOVE. At least that is my definition.

Jon and Arya cleary love each other in basically every aspects I listed above. But will they be sexually attracted to each other? Well, that's the question. It is not about right or wrong, or they will think it is wrong because they grew up together: if they find each other sexually attractive (and I think they will), knowing they are only cousins, then it will be LOVE.

But we have to wait until they are reunited. :dunno:

Our brains are programmed to be sexually repulsed by people we grew up with in close proximity - in a normal setting, that means brothers, sisters, dads, moms. But it also means your cousins if you grew up living with them, or an adopted sibling. Your brain doesn't make the difference between blood-related and non-blood-related : if you grew up with them, you think they're yucky.

This has been proven when studying a tribe that raises their children all-together, like they're all siblings. They all live together, play together, sleep together, learn together, etc... from a very young age.

It has been observed that when a marriage was arranged between two persons who grew up in the same tribe, the couple wasn't sexually compatible and it usually resulted in a loveless marriage. This reflex has a scientific name but it eludes me right now. It's also observed among most animals.

I ignore if Martin is aware of that fact, but it's something that we (almost) all know instinctively. That is the rule, and incest in the exception. It's not like learning they're actually cousins will change how they see each other : they grew up together, loved eachother in a brotherly way (and yes, brotherly love IS different from sexual love) and that is not going to change.

Also ew. Seriously people. I can't understand why a brother and a sister can't love each other in a work of fiction without a bunch of people thinking they're OTP. It's like that in every fandom :(

I would find it incredibly unlikely for Arya and Jon to become romantically involved.

They were certainly very close growing up, but all that means was that they were each others favorite siblings. But sibling relationships very rarely become romantic for good reason. The fact there's a handful of prominent incestuous relationships in the series does not mean they are actually all that common in Westeros and are certainly not accepted by mainstream society. The only people who did it openly were the Targaryens, and they only got away with it because people were too terrified to tell them otherwise.

One of the things I've noticed is that no matter how asexual the relationship is, some people will assume that a male and female character who get along really well will always eventually get together romantically.

I believe that people get confused about the Jon and Arya thing because many relationships described in the book are weird and twisted, so we don't know what else to expect. And Jon and Arya share some tender feelings for each other not only because they grew up together but because they think alike. This doesn't mean they'll end up as a couple but when you have the Lannisters/Targs paradigms its not totally unreal to suspect so...

Arya wasn't attractive at all at the age of 9. Horseface? I know Jon said she was pretty, for me it would mean some average-looking child. But she may become a VERY attractive young woman. Theon was of course disgusted, since he knew Asha was his sister. The point is, Jon (and Arya) would know they are NOT siblings but cousins. And there is nothing wrong with it (according to Westeros standards)

I would very much like a Jon/Arya relationship. As I understand the main reason against it is their existing brotherly-sisterly love towards each other, and that they grew up together.

Well, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think there is such type of love as "brotherly-sisterly". Love (towards anybody: lover, sibling, parent or friends) means a lot: trusting in each other, like the presence of each other. To share your problems, seek help, or willing to help even if it has some cost. When the other person can make you smile, or make you forget problems for a while. When you do a lot of things together... and I could list a few more things.

Did you get what I was talking about? It doesn't matter if it is a brother or just a friend: you sort of feel the same things. But you may have different experiences with them. But the feeling is very similar if not the same.

You need all these things in a lover: but you need one more thing which is unique: You need to be attracted sexually towards the other. If you have all the trust, liking each other AND the sexual affection, then it is LOVE. At least that is my definition.

Jon and Arya cleary love each other in basically every aspects I listed above. But will they be sexually attracted to each other? Well, that's the question. It is not about right or wrong, or they will think it is wrong because they grew up together: if they find each other sexually attractive (and I think they will), knowing they are only cousins, then it will be LOVE.

But we have to wait until they are reunited. :dunno:

Jeyne Poole started calling Arya Horseface because she was a little bitch, like Sansa. Talk about just desserts...No one else says that she was ugly. Also, It doesn't matter if they are not brother and sister, Jon would not be sexually attracted to a girl that he has known and loved as a sister all of his life. Titles cannot make a person’s feelings suddenly change. I seriously doubt that GRRM would go that way. There is nothing in the writing to suggest such a thing might occur. People just have too much twincest on the brain.

Point being they will not be the same people when next they meet and I can see the potential for a pairing there... :dunno: You either can see the pattern or not ... either way nay-sayers, get ready to eat humble pie when it happens cos I'll be doling it out by the shovelful :P

Point being they will not be the same people when next they meet and I can see the potential for a pairing there

That and Arya literally won't be. The theory I put forth could end up being a very realistic scenerio.

No one else says that she was ugly.

People keep saying it all the time, but yes, Arya was never ugly. She just had a tendency to look like a drowned rat at times, but she was always a pretty little girl.

I think some people are only seeing what they want to see. There is nothing in the text to even suggest something like this. Yes they love each other, yes they think about each other often...And? Can two people of the opposite sex not share a deep bond without it becoming sexual/romantic?

Whether they are blood related or not, they see each other as siblings. That doesn't change just because you haven't seen each other in years. There is absolutely no possiblity of them ever being together in that way. None.

Point being they will not be the same people when next they meet and I can see the potential for a pairing there... :dunno: You either can see the pattern or not ... either way nay-sayers, get ready to eat humble pie when it happens cos I'll be doling it out by the shovelful :P

So, you are saying that if you were seperated from your sibling for years you would no longer see them as a sibling and begin a sexual relationship when you are reconciled?

I find it awkward that people think they will be linked romantically. They grew up as brother and sister, love each other as brother and sister. This isn't Marcia and Greg Brady, actually they weren't related at all. Step brother/ sister or cousins, doesn't matter this is a big no no :stillsick: as much as i love Jon i hope he ends up with no one, he has too much to take care of!

Archived