Jon Snow’s (possible) reign

Ice Turtle

Lets assume that Jon becomes King (or regent) of the North. What would he do in that case?

He will have to deal with Stannis, who at this point probably will be almost spent power or dead. He will continue fighting the Others, but he will need to look south too.

There is even a possibility of marriage proposals, I would not put it past Mace to try

(maybe after Aegon refuses him)

. Former wows or no, if Jon accepts the role of the king he may acknowledge that marriage is necessary for political reasons.

What will he do first? Will he deal with Iron Islands, try to bring Vale to his case, clean the mess that are Riverlands?

The two things I would like to see are some kind of alliance with Braavos and maybe adapting the law of succession similar to Dorne. Now, the Braavos have more of almost anything that poor, not too populated North, but North have wood, one important thing Braavos is missing and Jon may be even willing to accept the debt of the realm, to put The Iron Bank on his side.

The other thing may seem way too far fetched, but did anyone else notice how many houses of the North are after RW led by women? It may also help a little to bring free folk and North closer and maybe even build a bridge towards alliance with Dorne

if Aegon's actions and news of Quentyn's death make more traditional allies less appealing.

So, what do you think?

The Boltons need to die immediately, and I would strip Ramsey naked and have him run for his life.

THEN, it's on to the Freys and Lannisters.

I agree. The first order of business would be to get rid of the Boltons and learn which lords would rather die than bend knee to the new King in the North. If there's any remaining cleanup of Ironborn to be done, that'd be the next item on his list. Knowing about the threat of the Others, there's no way he could involve himself in politics south of the Neck for a while.

Once things are settled, and the Boltons are extinct as a house, Jon needs to give the Dreadfort to gutsy little Lyanna Mormont as a reward for that fine letter. After ASoS, I wouldn't have said it was likely for Jon to ever get a crack at King in the North, but as of the end of ADWD, anything is possible.

Lets assume that Jon becomes King (or regent) of the North. What would he do in that case?

He will have to deal with Stannis, who at this point probably will be almost spent power or dead. He will continue fighting the Others, but he will need to look south too.

There is even a possibility of marriage proposals, I would not put it past Mace to try

(maybe after Aegon refuses him)

. Former wows or no, if Jon accepts the role of the king he may acknowledge that marriage is necessary for political reasons.

What will he do first? Will he deal with Iron Islands, try to bring Vale to his case, clean the mess that are Riverlands?

The two things I would like to see are some kind of alliance with Braavos and maybe adapting the law of succession similar to Dorne. Now, the Braavos have more of almost anything that poor, not too populated North, but North have wood, one important thing Braavos is missing and Jon may be even willing to accept the debt of the realm, to put The Iron Bank on his side.

The other thing may seem way too far fetched, but did anyone else notice how many houses of the North are after RW led by women? It may also help a little to bring free folk and North closer and maybe even build a bridge towards alliance with Dorne

if Aegon's actions and news of Quentyn's death make more traditional allies less appealing.

So, what do you think?

I think you've offered some really excellent possibilites. The one I'm most excited about is that alliance with Dorne.

I was making this point over on ADWD that I don't think Doran will be so accepting of the Aegon reveal, and that his support might not be a guarantee there. Now with his own discontent with Southern politics, Doran could indeed look North, finding a region that is very much Dornish in its gender dynamics - now the ramifications of this are important - it means that Aegon's conquest would not be so easy any more, and with Dorne alligned with the North, it could mean two important allies for Dany when she arrives there.

Unlike some of other posters I don't see Jon looking South at all. I think the Vale will be responsible for cleaning up the mess of the Riverlands, and the Lannisters and the Tyrells will self-implode. Stannis will (grudgingly) have to accept that Jon is the rightful ruler and Jon may send him South in some role to keep tabs on what's happening.

As for the Boltons and the Freys, the BWB/Lady Stoneheart will take care of them.

Unlike some of other posters I don't see Jon looking South at all. I think the Vale will be responsible for cleaning up the mess of the Riverlands, and the Lannisters and the Tyrells will self-implode. Stannis will (grudgingly) have to accept that Jon is the rightful ruler and Jon may send him South in some role to keep tabs on what's happening.

As for the Boltons and the Freys, the BWB/Lady Stoneheart will take care of them.

Well, if Jon accepts kingdom as it was during Robb's reign, than Riverlads are part of it. I don't doubt that the Others will remain his priority, but he will not remain king for long if he abandons his people like that, and looking on the map, Riverlands have a problematic location, it would be good to have an ally at least on one side.

Well, if Jon accepts kingdom as it was during Robb's reign, than Riverlads are part of it.

I don't think the Riverlords would consider themselves subjects of a King in the North anymore. Their Lord Paramount is an up-jumped lordling from a different region of the kingdom, but he has the backing of the Iron Throne and won't look kindly on secession. The Freys are in a much more powerful position than they were upon the initial declaration of the King in the North, and they control the only land route into the Riverlands, not to mention Riverrun itself.

Most of the lords in the Riverlands have had their families and lands devastated by the war and several have lost even more in the effort to make peace with the current occupant of the Iron Throne. They're not in any position to accept any other king and Jon is going to realize that he's not in a position to provide them with the protection they'd need to back him. The Riverlands is played out as a resource, as it's been the crossroads for most of the armies in the war.

I don't think the Riverlords would consider themselves subjects of a King in the North anymore. Their Lord Paramount is an up-jumped lordling from a different region of the kingdom, but he has the backing of the Iron Throne and won't look kindly on secession. The Freys are in a much more powerful position than they were upon the initial declaration of the King in the North, and they control the only land route into the Riverlands, not to mention Riverrun itself.

Most of the lords in the Riverlands have had their families and lands devastated by the war and several have lost even more in the effort to make peace with the current occupant of the Iron Throne. They're not in any position to accept any other king and Jon is going to realize that he's not in a position to provide them with the protection they'd need to back him. The Riverlands is played out as a resource, as it's been the crossroads for most of the armies in the war.

Are you sure that the power of the Freys have augmented? Besides being despised by most of the Riverlords for the losses at the Red Wedding, and sending 2000 men north with Aenys and Hosteen Frey, their main ally, the Lannisters are losing ground in King's Landing while their army is " fast melting away". Trouble and chaos will continue brewing in the Riverlands until another major player (the Vale, the North...) come to restore peace.

The Freys are doomed, their ship is sinking since Tywin Lannister's death. They did the dirty job for him, but it's not sure that the Tyrells, the Vale would like to ally themselves with a House so universally despised.

Most Lords of the Riverlands have had their lands and ressources devastated, but it's not sure that they will bow so easily to people like the Lannisters or the Freys. They might seize an opportunity to rebel.

I wonder if Littlefinger will reveal Sansa like he said he would? Or if it was just to get her to go with his plan.

If he does it's possible she will get the Vale to ally with the north. She has Sweetrobin to overrule Littlefinger if it's needed.

The lords of the Vale will not follow Littlefinger if their true lord commands otherwise.

In the case that Sweetrobin is killed and Harry becomes lord of the Vale it's up to him of course, we don't know what he thinks on anything. He probably wouldn't object to being lord of the Vale AND Winterfell, if nothing is heard of from Rickon or Bran by this time. But for Harry to establish himself in the north he would have to recognize Jon as King if he is proclaimed by the other Northmen or he can move himself back to the Vale.

Sansa mentioned that she misses Jon, even though he's just her half-brother, so if it was up to her alone she would maybe back him up.

She never expected to be lady of Winterfell from the beginning so she could let it pass to Rickon (I find Bran not likely to turn up). Or if Jon does as suggested, make Sansa rightful heir, there is only one immediate problem. Lord Manderly.

Manderly is a wild card, but he seems sincere in his respect for the Starks, and would probably honour Robbs decree if it turns up, and raises Jon to be King and a Stark.

In any case I don't think we will see Jon as lord of Winterfell, but I think he would accept to be lord protector if it was necessary. He wouldn't have to be lord of Winterfell to be King in the North necessarily, I think.

There is a chance the riverlords would join Sansa even if they don't subscribe to the drawing of the boarders under Robbs reign. I'm pretty sure they would want the Frey and Lannister out of Riverrun. Their military power would probably be small but with the Vale to back them, they might muster some force.

I agree with Brashcandy about Dorne.

I'm pretty sure they will not ally with Aegon if Highgarden does, unless they have some way of making sure he is who he claims to be. If they are suspicious that he is a Blackfyre pretender they would be hesitant, and should the sword turn up... I think Aegon will loose Dorne. Highgarden + Aegon and the Lannisters fight themselves to pieces, and Dany enters with the help of Dorne and the north

Dorne would be a perfect ally and the North a perfect ally for Dorne.

And about the rest

The Iron Bank is likely to back Jon, it would give him a better chance of paying the debt, if there is a debt still.

The Ironborn will come together, Theon will rise again and this time he will not stray.

Stannis will probably not survive long in the north without Jons help, so he may reconsider his claim.

Selyse and her queensmen... hopefully the will all burn

Or is all of this just wishful thinking...

Are you sure that the power of the Freys have augmented? Most Lords of the Riverlands have had their lands and ressources devastated, but it's not sure that they will bow so easily to people like the Lannisters or the Freys. They might seize an opportunity to rebel.

I don't think they're in a place to wield a lot of power, but they are the favored allies of the Crown in that region right now. They don't actually have to do much to discourage their fellows from declaring for a new King in the North. Their fortress sits astride the only real route between the two parts of Robb's old kingdom. They have possession of Riverrun too, and while that may not last, it does send a very clear message that they're held in high regard by the people in power.

If the power of the Lannister/Tyrell-backed regime on the Iron Throne crumbles, I don't think the Riverlords will have anything left to rebel with. They're out of food, money, and people and winter is just ahead. They have to look to caring for their own and they'll probably swear fealty to whichever faction it looks like will come out on top, as long as it keeps their lands and people safe. They're essentially done as a player in the game.

I wonder if Littlefinger will reveal Sansa like he said he would? Or if it was just to get her to go with his plan.

If he does it's possible she will get the Vale to ally with the north. She has Sweetrobin to overrule Littlefinger if it's needed.

The lords of the Vale will not follow Littlefinger if their true lord commands otherwise.

In the case that Sweetrobin is killed and Harry becomes lord of the Vale it's up to him of course, we don't know what he thinks on anything. He probably wouldn't object to being lord of the Vale AND Winterfell, if nothing is heard of from Rickon or Bran by this time. But for Harry to establish himself in the north he would have to recognize Jon as King if he is proclaimed by the other Northmen or he can move himself back to the Vale.

Sansa mentioned that she misses Jon, even though he's just her half-brother, so if it was up to her alone she would maybe back him up.

She never expected to be lady of Winterfell from the beginning so she could let it pass to Rickon (I find Bran not likely to turn up). Or if Jon does as suggested, make Sansa rightful heir, there is only one immediate problem. Lord Manderly.

Manderly is a wild card, but he seems sincere in his respect for the Starks, and would probably honour Robbs decree if it turns up, and raises Jon to be King and a Stark.

In any case I don't think we will see Jon as lord of Winterfell, but I think he would accept to be lord protector if it was necessary. He wouldn't have to be lord of Winterfell to be King in the North necessarily, I think.

There is a chance the riverlords would join Sansa even if they don't subscribe to the drawing of the boarders under Robbs reign. I'm pretty sure they would want the Frey and Lannister out of Riverrun. Their military power would probably be small but with the Vale to back them, they might muster some force.

I agree with Brashcandy about Dorne.

I'm pretty sure they will not ally with Aegon if Highgarden does, unless they have some way of making sure he is who he claims to be. If they are suspicious that he is a Blackfyre pretender they would be hesitant, and should the sword turn up... I think Aegon will loose Dorne. Highgarden + Aegon and the Lannisters fight themselves to pieces, and Dany enters with the help of Dorne and the north

Dorne would be a perfect ally and the North a perfect ally for Dorne.

And about the rest

The Iron Bank is likely to back Jon, it would give him a better chance of paying the debt, if there is a debt still.

The Ironborn will come together, Theon will rise again and this time he will not stray.

Stannis will probably not survive long in the north without Jons help, so he may reconsider his claim.

Selyse and her queensmen... hopefully the will all burn

Or is all of this just wishful thinking...

Hey Eira :).

I like most of what you have put forward and I also like the Dorne/North alliance. My one problem is Stannis. This is Stannis we are talking about. The same Stannis that accused Robb of treason and burned a leech to get him killed. I don't think he will accept any decree from Robb because as he sees it, Robb was never king to begin with. The only way this will work is if Stannis dies. I will be sad if Stannis dies, because odd as it may seem, I have a soft spot for him, but it seems it will be necessary.

My one problem is Stannis. This is Stannis we are talking about. The same Stannis that accused Robb of treason and burned a leech to get him killed. I don't think he will accept any decree from Robb because as he sees it, Robb was never king to begin with. The only way this will work is if Stannis dies. I will be sad if Stannis dies, because odd as it may seem, I have a soft spot for him, but it seems it will be necessary.

That's not weird at all, I love Stannis too, as many do. And yes, he will never accept Robb's decree, yet I think he will make good use of it if given the chance. Something along the lines of- "Jon, I was willing to make you Lord of Winterfell and your father's heir...your brother Robb felt you are his heir too, and not his sisters..." That just may sway things.

That's not weird at all, I love Stannis too, as many do. And yes, he will never accept Robb's decree, yet I think he will make good use of it if given the chance. Something along the lines of- "Jon, I was willing to make you Lord of Winterfell and your father's heir...your brother Robb felt you are his heir too, and not his sisters..." That just may sway things.

I don't doubt that Jon would accept if he were to say such a thing but the question is will he? Will he not be infuriated that Robb had the audacity to name another king of the North? What I am worried about is that should Jon and the north acknowledge Robb's decree, it will cause a serious rift between Jon and Stannis.

Hey Eira :).

I like most of what you have put forward and I also like the Dorne/North alliance. My one problem is Stannis. This is Stannis we are talking about. The same Stannis that accused Robb of treason and burned a leech to get him killed. I don't think he will accept any decree from Robb because as he sees it, Robb was never king to begin with. The only way this will work is if Stannis dies. I will be sad if Stannis dies, because odd as it may seem, I have a soft spot for him, but it seems it will be necessary.

Well as I posted somewhere else,

About the letter Ramsay wrote and situation at the end of ADWD: It's snowing, everyone is half blind. There is Stannis's army, and there is Boltons' army, but there could be three more and no one would be any wiser with all that snow. And I think there is at least one hiding with Maege Mormont and maybe Howlad Reed. Some people ask why crannogmen let Boltons and Freys pass the Neck, why not, they let them walk in to a trap. Now, all that mean that there actually really could have been or will be a battle. And maybe even a battle with three sides. Then poor Stannis would be actually the weakest force.

If the North really plan to crown Jon, it's stupid to do it while Stannis pose a threat to him.

And maybe I'm a Stark loyalist but for me Robb was the legitimate King of the North. Stannis have the right on Iron Throne, Dany too, but Starks have right to hold the North and Riverlands.

I don't doubt that Jon would accept if he were to say such a thing but the question is will he? Will he not be infuriated that Robb had the audacity to name another king of the North? What I am worried about is that should Jon and the north acknowledge Robb's decree, it will cause a serious rift between Jon and Stannis.

NW takes no part. Jon has made common case with Stannis about the Others, outside that, he is not his ally. So Jon suddenly have enough force to overpower Stannis, he can force Stannis and all his southern fools to take the black (meaning give them choice Tywing Lannister gave Thorne), so Stannis will remain fighting the Others

Instead of playing GoT, what is what he is doing in ADWD, no matter what he says. Bolton's are south not north of the Wall.

Well as I posted somewhere else,

About the letter Ramsay wrote and situation at the end of ADWD: It's snowing, everyone is half blind. There is Stannis's army, and there is Boltons' army, but there could be three more and no one would be any wiser with all that snow. And I think there is at least one hiding with Maege Mormont and maybe Howlad Reed. Some people ask why crannogmen let Boltons and Freys pass the Neck, why not, they let them walk in to a trap. Now, all that mean that there actually really could have been or will be a battle. And maybe even a battle with three sides. Then poor Stannis would be actually the weakest force.

If the North really plan to crown Jon, it's stupid to do it while Stannis pose a threat to him.

And maybe I'm a Stark loyalist but for me Robb was the legitimate King of the North. Stannis have the right on Iron Throne, Dany too, but Starks have right to hold the North and Riverlands.

I am also a Stark loyalist as you can tell from my name ;)..I also believe that Robb was the legitimate king of the north and riverlands. I hope things work out the way you say in both your posts, and I will not deny that

the winter storm offers possibilities. Also I think the north will reject Stannis because of religion. They believe in their old gods and I don't think R'holler will hold much sway with them. But I really would prefer a real Stark/Baratheon alliance to one that will be forced on Stannis. I think it would be really cool especially if the ally themselves to House Martell as well.

Hi shaggy!

And everyone else too :cheers:

I agree, Stannis is an obstacle. But he has little hope of holding the north for many reasons... And going south is looking more and more impossible.

There is a big risk that he will eventually move himself and his army of starving frozen men to Winterfell. It's hard to lay siege to the place, it has been mentioned a couple of times, and if Ramsey is still inside - he knows how Theon entered the last time.

The "someone" that's lurking around in there could possibly open the way, but it's not certain that person in in any mood to open for Stannis, and I can't see any reason for him to do it.

But along the road to get to Winterfell, or right outside the gates maybe, it's likely there will be armed men (and women) waiting as Lazy Turtle pointed out.

The Manderleys may be sitting outside as well, trying to get in instead of going all the way back to White Harbour in the snowstorm, if they are not already inside again.

So there are possibly an army of various Northmen, Wildlings and maybe Crannogmen out and about Winterfell.

None of these guys have any love for Stannis or any reason to help him, as I see it.

So I think it's likely that Stannis will end up at the wall, and he'd be a good leader to take up the role as LC.

Archived