[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] Arstan Question

Paladinmesser

So I'm wondering how they are going handle the Arstan/Barristan angle on TV. In the book there a few clues and it had you guessing as to who Arstan was and what his motives were, which kept it suspenseful from his introduction in ACoK till the reveal in ASoS. But on tv won't we recognize him as Barristan as soon as we see him? Any thoughts on what they might do to keep the suspense?

I doubt most newbies will realize it's the same actor. There are so many actors in this show, and it will have been most of a season since they saw him last. The most observant viewers will of course realize, but then that's just like the books, isn't it? I certainly never guessed while reading.

Oh also the will surely give him long hair and a full beard which will help.

I doubt most newbies will realize it's the same actor. There are so many actors in this show, and it will have been most of a season since they saw him last.

Exactly. As you say, some readers spotted him when they read aCoK also.

In many ways its more interesting to know that Barristan is there, as it makes his relationship with Dany a lot more interesting and brings her storyline back towards Westeros..

I think that the whole Arstan suspense in the book was because you didn't know how Dany would react to Arstan = Barristan. The majority of the readers realized that it'd be Barristan thanks to the description and the thought you had in mind regarding wtf happened to him after GoT anyways and after giving away Illyrio's identity in his conversation with Varys in the dungeons, I have no hopes in HBO being subtle.

I'm not sure how they could have been subtle regarding Illyrio. They could hide who he is but that isn't been subtle. They either show who he is or they don't.

They can be a bit subtle with Barristan by giving him a beard but it still wouldn't be the same as the books. It's a different medium.

Surely any viewers who frequent GOT message boards will read about this after his first episode airs. Even with a beard, it's possible that an attentive non-reader would remember and recognise Barristan, so I don't believe his identity will be treated as spoilery book knowledge - it's why he's come to her that's going to be blocked/blacked out. Identity suspense is pretty much a lost cause, I think they'll have motivation suspense instead.

Most non-readers have probably already forgotten who Barristan ever was - assuming that they worked it out in the first place.

Yeah, there are those who frequent boards such as this or IMDB, and they'll quickly realise, and there's the likes of the unsullied on TWOP - who will realise either immediately, or as soon as the credits role at the end of his first episode.

So that accounts for <5% of the viewership then - the rest will be as per the book readers initially, not realising straight away, a good proportion working it out before the reveal, but a good proportion still taken by surprise.

TBH if they show him without any chances in make-up, but without the sword and armour, I suspect that 90% of viewers wouldn't recognise him

I think the majority of viewers will know exactly who he is, and I don't think the show will attempt to hide it from the viewers. In fact, they may make an effort to ensure that the viewer realizes it is Barristan. Trying to keep it secret would be futile. You may be able to fool some people, but not enough for the reveal payoff to be worth it. Better to let the viewer know about it and make it about the reveal to Dany and not the reveal to the audience.

I'm with Aegnor. I thought they made a fairly big deal out of Barristan in Season 1 - they had Robert drawing him out about his first kill, and exchanging complementary reminiscences with Ned. Then the disarming scene with Joffrey was quite well done. I especially enjoyed Littlefinger's snark about "a naked knight" - (was that in the books?). I think they're hoping that attentive viewers will remember him and feel a sense of accomplishment at recognizing Barristan before Jorah does.

I'm with Aegnor. I thought they made a fairly big deal out of Barristan in Season 1 - they had Robert drawing him out about his first kill, and exchanging complementary reminiscences with Ned. Then the disarming scene with Joffrey was quite well done. I especially enjoyed Littlefinger's snark about "a naked knight" - (was that in the books?).

Yeah I just reread this part, that was in the books. LF is an asshole lol.

I think they're hoping that attentive viewers will remember him and feel a sense of accomplishment at recognizing Barristan before Jorah does.

I agree that attentive viewers will realize who he is, but where we disagree is that I think the vast majority of viewers aren't attentive, and only watch TV for entertainment, then don't think about it again until the next episode airs (and they won't analyze or read articles or reviews like we do). Casual viewers, who are the majority, will likely not realize who Arstan really is. :P I'm a casual viewer for most shows I watch, and TBH I have a hard time keeping track of what people's names are, let alone who some random minor character is. Even weak disguises get me every time.

Yep - agreed with MyDog.

Some will notice, and feel a sense of accomplishment, some will be avid, and will either notice, or recognise the actor's name in the credits; some will have found out by reading forae; most will be oblivious - give him a bear, and longer hair, no armour and no sword, and it won't be far off what the book readers had, maybe work it out, but probably need the reveal

I think not only they'll make it clear it's Barristan, but they will also put on screen his travel from King's Landing to meeting Illyrio in Pentos, then travelling again..etc.

It won't take much time screen, and it would prevent from the ridiculous "oh I wear a beard and I am credited but you won't recognize me haha". They'll have to adapt to the new media, it would be ridiculous otherwise.

The way I see it :

Renly : "Any news of Barristan ? I heard he meant to go find the true king and serve him..."

And then, we see Barristan in a boat or in Pentos or something.

The scene with Syrio was so cool, I hope we'll see Barristan too being badass before leaving King's Landing.

Its too late for that scene. They had to show Barristan getting kicked out of the KG because he will appear again. But he is a secondary character

(I would say tertiary except for his prominence in aDwD) and they are not going to spend more time than they have to on such characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the character a beard in the show. Plot wise it makes sense for Barristan to make some effort to hide who he is.

It would be ridiculous if D&D tried to set Barristan's reveal as a big twist. A lot of people will figure that out. But a lot of people wouldn't unless the producers go out of their way to reveal who he is. Given I don't think they will spend extra time on the character, I imagine it will be left as a semi secret. Although I do see benefits in having it be obvious.

It won't take much time screen, and it would prevent from the ridiculous "oh I wear a beard and I am credited but you won't recognize me haha". They'll have to adapt to the new media, it would be ridiculous otherwise.

Lol? You honestly read all the names in the end credits for shows you watch? Or even know the names of actors playing minor characters? Most viewers don't know who the hell Ian McKhinney is, and barely remember there was some old knight from S1 (I certainly wouldn't if this was any other show).

Lol? You honestly read all the names in the end credits for shows you watch? Or even know the names of actors playing minor characters? Most viewers don't know who the hell Ian McKhinney is, and barely remember there was some old knight from S1 (I certainly wouldn't if this was any other show).

Those who don't remember him won't get the dramatic surprise when he reveals his identity.

The others will recognize him from the start (even if it's not due to the credits), so in both cases, where is the point in hiding his identity to viewers ?

It's just ridiculous on screen.

Archived