Too many half-witted characters being added

lyvyathan

At first I assumed this post would be about Patchface and Jinglebell.

Have we seen enough of the Sand Snakes to have strong opinions on them? I mean most of them were locked up in AFFC with the exception of Sarella/Alleras.

We'll see more of them in TWOW, the teaser Arianne chapter confirmed that for us

I don't quite get the point of this thread? Minor characters annoy you? You don't like the Sand Snakes (who are actually several different people, not one single personality)...

I used the plural term, try reading it again.

I'm about 1/2 way through AFFC and am having a hard time keeping up with all of them. It doesn't help that I read before bed when I'm less alert!

That may have a happy consequence because re-reading the books may result in a new revelation!

Darkstar was a crappy character, but of the over 5,000 pages the make up A Song of Ice and Fire, he appears in about 5 and is mentioned at most half a dozen times afterwards... so why do you care about him? He's not worth complaining about

Plus none of these characters are being "added" but Lady Stoneheart... Sandsnakes, Queen of Thornes, Margaery, Manderly, Asha have all been known and in the appendix since A Game of Thrones... and Theon appears in A Game of Thrones... He doesn't have a big role but he has plenty of speaking lines and actually saves Bran's life...

and Melissandre is a huge component of the books and is first mentioned in A Game of Thrones, though not by name

I didn't say that all the minor characters were horrible did I ? I liked the stories about the Queen of Thornes, Margaery, Manderly, Asha, Mel, and even Theon.

I'm not sure that half-witted is the right way to describe these characters. Most of them seem fairly intelligent and interesting in their own ways. I really liked Manderly in ADWD and I'm intrigued to see what will happen with the Sand Snakes. I think my biggest problem with new characters is if Martin tries to slot any of the more recent arrivals into big, important roles in the story. I care more about the ones we've been following for 5 books now, not the ones that put in their first appearance in the last two.

No, no, I didn't mean that Manderly was one-dimensional. I actually liked his story. I'm referring to the characters like the Sand Snakes.

Have we seen enough of the Sand Snakes to have strong opinions on them? I mean most of them were locked up in AFFC with the exception of Sarella/Alleras.

We'll see more of them in TWOW, the teaser Arianne chapter confirmed that for us

The reason why I didn't like the Sand Snakes is that they seem so one dimensional. They basically have the same character and the same low level of intelligence. Plus, are all the Dornish women all sluts who spread open their legs the moment they see an opportunity? Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

I just wondered why Oberyn didn't teach his daughters more than how to use a single weapon. And if he taught them to be weapons themselves, taught them to fight, why didn't he ever give them a purpose? They might have learned loyalty and cunning along the way. He obviously wanted them to be the way they were - sluts with the ability to kill.

What actually happened to Oberyn's sons? He obviously claimed his bastard daughters, but what happened to his sons?

No, I am not bothered by the Dornish women. At least it shows that there is more going on in Westeros than arranged marriages, whoring, and rape.

Plus, are all the Dornish women all sluts who spread open their legs the moment they see an opportunity? Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

The Dornish husbands?

I thought it was funny that one of the most popular songs in Westeros appears to be a song about the charms of an adulterous Dornishman's Wife, then we go to Dorne and all the Dornish women are sluts who spread their legs the moment they see an opportunity.

The Dornish husbands?

I thought it was funny that one of the most popular songs in Westeros appears to be a song about the charms of an adulterous Dornishman's Wife, then we go to Dorne and all the Dornish women are sluts who spread their legs the moment they see an opportunity.

I think you're mischaracterising them here, Diredog. The Sandsnakes are described in very erotic, sensual terms, and so is Arianne, but really, outside of the latter's affair with Arys, where she was trying to entice him with a very specific goal in mind, the women are all portrayed as strong, independent types. I don't think they're meant to be seen as sluttish, just that their views on sex might be a lot more open minded. Now I do agree that their presentation has been a little stereotypical, but I'm hoping Martin will flesh them out now that they've been split up and have separate plot strands.

There is an RL parallel to Dornishwomen.

As recently as about 50 years ago (this incidentally is from my Dad, and I am simplifying things wildly here) the sexual revolution had not occurred in Europe. Any woman known to have sex except with her husband was a social pariah. Nice girls didn't, and so it was all but impossible for men who weren't rich or famous to get any sex with an even halfway nice girl without marrying her.

For some reason this changed in Sweden a few years before it did in other countries. There was a window in which nice Swedish girls would, while nice girls from other countries would not. In consequence Swedish girls came to be thought of as being fantastically hot, in a remarkably similar way to how Dornish woman are considered in Westeros.

Of course there was a downside, in that they got described as sluts by disgruntled or jealous women, and also by men who still weren't getting any. ;)

So look at those apparently notorious sluts, the Sand Snakes. Only Nymeria appears likely to be having any sort of sex life at all. And there is at least one hint that she may be a lesbian.

I do agree that they have suddenly turned into two dimensional cartoons in ADwD though.

Wait, what? There is a teaser tWoW chapter out there?

I think you're mischaracterising them here, Diredog. The Sandsnakes are described in very erotic, sensual terms, and so is Arianne, but really, outside of the latter's affair with Arys, where she was trying to entice him with a very specific goal in mind, the women are all portrayed as strong, independent types. I don't think they're meant to be seen as sluttish, just that their views on sex might be a lot more open minded. Now I do agree that their presentation has been a little stereotypical, but I'm hoping Martin will flesh them out now that they've been split up and have separate plot strands.

And actually it is not Dornish women, all thje people of Dorne seem to have less puritanical views on sexuality. Thgey simply, to me, seem to be a culture that has embraced it's sexuality, instead of supressing it. I fail to see how that makes it's women sluttish.

Just my opinion and take on it, for what it is worth.

haha. Flesh! A freudian slip?

Anyone else remember that 1980s song? "Flesh! Flesh for Fantasy."

Plus, are all the Dornish women all sluts who spread open their legs the moment they see an opportunity? Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

then we go to Dorne and all the Dornish women are sluts who spread their legs the moment they see an opportunity.

Such a pair of charmers you are. :stillsick:

The reason why I didn't like the Sand Snakes is that they seem so one dimensional. They basically have the same character and the same low level of intelligence. Plus, are all the Dornish men all sluts who spread open their legs the moment they see an opportunity? Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

Fixed that for you. Oberyn is the biggest slut in the series (Theon as a close runner up) and I like his daughters far more than I like him. Obara I really don't like actually, but she still has more characterization than Oberyn.

On a completely unrelated note I hate reading about walking plot devices, especially when they're gigantic assholes.

Fixed that for you. Oberyn is the biggest slut in the series (Theon as a close runner up) and I like his daughters far more than I like him. Obara I really don't like actually, but she still has more characterization than Oberyn.

No no no, Robert is the biggest slut in the series. I bet he had to whore around quite a lot to get himself 16 bastards all over the country.

Archived