The Martells

Knepah

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see some British-Asian/Indian actors play the Martells, it would make up for the (mostly) whitewashed cast and give ethnic actors a shot at some really good roles.

Why do you think the cast is whitewashed? Actually I think they added a lot more different ethnicities than described in the book. Salladhor is dark-skinned, the Dothraki are more diverse than just kind of Mongolian, Daxos will be black instead of somehow pale.

I'd love to see some British-Asian/Indian actors play the Martells, it would make up for the (mostly) whitewashed cast and give ethnic actors a shot at some really good roles.

Depends on which Martells they include. Doran, Oberyn, Arianne, Quentyn? Sure, that works, even if properly speaking I don't think it quite fits the salty Dornish, it probably fits the sandy Dornish better. But if we get some of the Sand Snakes, they really should try and vary it. Nym is very pale. Tyene is blonde and blue-eyed. Obara looks like an Oldtown commoner.

As for white-washing of the cast, the only thing that vaguely fits is that they cut Chataya and Alayaya and have Ros instead. Its not like they cast them and made them white, but yes, it would have been nice to have them included instead of a made-up character.

MEE too! :D

Why do you think the cast is whitewashed? Actually I think they added a lot more different ethnicities than described in the book. Salladhor is dark-skinned, the Dothraki are more diverse than just kind of Mongolian, Daxos will be black instead of somehow pale.

yeah, they did, which is great! But considering that the Martell's are major players in the Game of Thrones and are a prominent family so it'd be nice to see a very powerful family as Indian/North African/Middle Eastern backgrounds ( and not just like playing minor characters like a pirate or dothraki bloodrider etc..)

I am with the guys who say casting anglo-indian actors is the way to go with the Martells, They look like the way the more Rhoynish Dornish are described in the books and their accents are going to sound natural alongside the rest of mostly British cast. There are also some very good anglo-Indian actors out there.

This guy for instance has appeared in all sorts of things from film, to serious drama notably in This Life, to stage, cameo appearances in soap operas, etc. He really is something of a character actor. He also is a rather charismatic screen presence and I think a good prospect to look at for both a good performance and an realistic and affordable possiblity for Oberyn Martell.

ramon‑tikaram‑2.jpg

^Oberyn is supposed to be, I think, about 15 years younger than Doran. Now, I didn't bother to check the ages for the actors you suggested, but by physical appearance alone there is very little in the way of an age or generation gap that should be apparent between siblings born so far apart. If they didn't have such a large age gap, I'd be all for them playing the roles though because they actually do look related!! (Although, personally, I never imagine Doran with such a slim face, chin and neck). I think Catalina's a great actress but personally I'd want to see Emmanuelle Chiriqui.

I'd love that too, some mixed blood Asian Caucasian for the Sand Snakes, the pale skin with dark hair is possible, pale eyes as well as the blond hair too.

I imagine the Martell blood so strong. I will come back in the topic when I am settled with my idea of the cast. :laugh:

I'd love that too, some mixed blood Asian Caucasian for the Sand Snakes, the pale skin with dark hair is possible, pale eyes as well as the blond hair too.

I imagine the Martell blood so strong. I will come back in the topic when I am settled with my idea of the cast. :laugh:

Dichen Lachman!

Cliff Simon as Oberyn Martell!!!! His IMDB page, and a some good photos of him. Most well known role: Ba'al on SG1 (probably one of the most popular Goa'uld characters on SG1).

I've been pushing this casting idea for a while, and I've gotten some to join the bandwagon.

(As to casting ideas for Purefoy, well, I personally believe he was born to play Mance Rayder)

I see a lot of discussion about casting these characters on this board but its never all in one place, so who would you like to see as Doran, Oberyn, The Sand Snakes, Arianne, Quentyn and their household?

A few potential actors spring to my mind to me for Oberyn.

• Rufus Sewell
  • James Purefoy
  • Alastair Mackenzie
  • Oded Fahr

Who do you want to play them?

Alexander Siddiq for Oberyn, The guy who played Saladin on Kingdom of Heaven would be a great Doran, as for Arianne Rhona Mitra would be a good fit according how old they want her to be. Eva Longoria would be a great Arianne if they want to make her a little older.

Since they have kept the cast largely British or Irish, I expect the Dornish will be from the talent pool of the United Kingdom or the Republic. I hope they cast the Dornish as British Asian, since they are described as olive/brown skinned. As for the Sand Snakes, they can definitely vary their appearances but Doran, Arianne, Quentyn, and Oberyn should be played by British Asians.

While I was reading I always pictured the Dornish as really dark. It may be weird, but Xerxes from 300 was always my image for Oberyn. Really tall skinny dark guy. But then in Feast my mental image became lighter. Arianne was sort of Turkish looking, Quentyn was just white. Anyway......

I think Banderas is an inspired choice for Oberyn. Seems to me he's the perfect age, perfect build, and has a Dornish enough look. And come one, can't you just see him yelling "You killed her! You raped her! You killed her children!". He's a great actor. Sure he's out of the show's league, but he'd only be in 3 or 4 episodes.....and he doesn't do many big movies anymore (except VO)....maybe theres hope? Just a little? He'd be in the end of season 4, maybe by then the show will be a massive success? Maybe he's a fan?

Drench Ciaran Hinds in spray on tan and he's the perfect Doran. I don't think he's that busy, I saw him on Broadway a year or two ago. I think a Doran performance is all about the voice, Hinds has an epic voice. Ian McShane is a bit too agressive sounding, the most important thing about Doran is how cautious and reserved he is. Maybe McShane could portray that, I can't really picture it.

Arianne is easy...just get any dark skinned Spanish/North African/Middle Eastern sexpot and you're good to go.

Archived