Sandor Clegane v. 9

That was in battle, I believe, but I'm sure it was no less satisfying considering all the hatred and anger he had building up.

Really want to know what happened to his mother.

Yeah, but that's what I was alluding to, the pent up feelings, and growing up in that kind of environment isn't likely to breed a total pacifist.

Isn't it obvious? She's clearly Septa Lemore! ;)

JK!

Yeah, but that's what I was alluding to, the pent up feelings, and growing up in that kind of environment isn't likely to breed a total pacifist.

Isn't it obvious? She's clearly Septa Lemore! ;)

JK!

Oh I totally agree. Wasn't it Sandor who said "if you can't defend yourself, get out of the way of those who can"?

Septa Lemore is everyone's Mommy. She really got around. :P

You know what else always boggled me (I dont know if it's been answered later in the series) was how did he end up the Lannister's dog? Was it because of Gregor and the loss of his family?

I think this is more a geographical traditional thing. They got their lands when one of their own saved a Lannister from a lion, so I imagine after that it was natural for them to be in the Lannister's service.

Oh I totally agree. Wasn't it Sandor who said "if you can't defend yourself, get out of the way of those who can"?

Septa Lemore is everyone's Mommy. She really got around. :P

I'm pretty sure it was!

Everyone who's mother died mysteriously, or we don't know about --------> Septa Lemore. Shes' got LE MORE of mothering to go around!

You know what else always boggled me (I dont know if it's been answered later in the series) was how did he end up the Lannister's dog? Was it because of Gregor and the loss of his family?

After their father died, Sandor left home to never return. So he went into service with them.

It was too easy!

---

On serious note, I do wonder what happened to his mom. :/ Judging by the rest of the family, the servants, etc, I have a bad feeling!

Gregor seemed like the Grim Reaper of that household. Even the dogs are afraid to come near him. I said once I pitied his wives. I still do, poor things. :crying:

Gregor seemed like the Grim Reaper of that household. Even the dogs are afraid to come near him. I said once I pitied his wives. I still do, poor things. :crying:

I'd run away before getting married to a monster like Gregor.

Bugger that and bugger him.

He reminds me of, oh, what is it, the fable of..........Bluebeard?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebeard

Personally, I don't think he was, because of the young ages, I think it was probably jsut another terrible thing that happened. Something tells me he would have mentioned it by now if it was something that took a major toll on him.

As we know, he loves having those heart-to-hearts with Sansa ;)

See, I kind of feel the opposite...I've always thought his sister's death was maybe a huge part of his hatred towards Gregor, and maybe towards himself too. Like, he couldn't save her, or he was supposed to be with her when she died? I just get this sneaking suspicion that his sister's death is maybe why he's protective of both Sansa and Arya...trying to atone in some way, maybe.

See, I kind of feel the opposite...I've always thought his sister's death was maybe a huge part of his hatred towards Gregor, and maybe towards himself too. Like, he couldn't save her, or he was supposed to be with her when she died? I just get this sneaking suspicion that his sister's death is maybe why he's protective of both Sansa and Arya...trying to atone in some way, maybe.

I agree with this. In this small way she impacted his life by making him merciful towards children especially young girls.

@Candace... the similarities are hard to deny. :stunned:

I could see that being plausible.

It's certainly possible, even if the ages made it so he didn't remember her very well, he could still feel somewhat responsible and it might have given him that desire to protect

I imagine they were both quite young when she died, and her death was another in a long list of atrocities Gregor committed. If that's the case, maybe Sandor wasn't too surprised by it, and probably doesn't even remember what she looks like anymore. Or the sister could have died right after her birth along with the mother. They never exactly say what happened to Lady Clegane either.

I tend to think that what happened to Little Sister Clegane was so shameful that he doesn't want to talk about it...

you know what I am hinting at.

I thought something similar. Like a young Sandor saw something he wasn't supposed to but was barely old enough to understand it. But it was enough to provoke a fear and uneasiness towards his family for life.

As posted by *Lemoncake*

The sister who died under mysterious circumstances. Do we think Sandor was at all close to her?

I tend to think not, since Sandor himself never mentions her. He never even talks about her to Sansa, despite the fact that he usually has a serious case of word vomit around her, and it seems like he would have mentioned his sister if her life and death had had a significant, long-lasting impact on his childhood.

But I'm interested to know what others think, so lettuce discuss.

You know, I don't think Sandor would've mentioned grief at the deaths of his father, mother, or sister(s) deaths to ANYONE. The EB does say he basically funnelled all his feelings into rage against his brother. Grief can easily be funnelled into rage. The fact that his family members' deaths probably happened long ago would make it very distant, and him less likely to confide in ANYBODY about.

His burns are a practical thing. They are out there for the world to see - they sort of demand some sort of explanation, since they're in-your-face. That's why I think his re-telling of the story of how it occurred is so powerful in the AGoT; Sansa is polite, and would NEVER ask, but Sandor can sense her stares. And he tells her in a moment of true intimacy.

I just don't see his mother, father, sister(s) being brought up and IN SANSA'S FACE in a way that he'd be forced to share grief to her about them. Perhaps if he was there when Bran, Rickon, Robb, and her mother died, but even then, I doubt they'd have discussed it. Sandor isn't good with people, and has a special deficit in ability to talk about grief over other people, I'd think, too. Easier to tell a story of childhood disfigurement than admit being "weak" by being sad that his brother killed his mom, dad, and sister(s).

IMO.

That was in battle, I believe, but I'm sure it was no less satisfying considering all the hatred and anger he had building up.

Really want to know what happened to his mother.

Oh boy....I think Sandor has massive family issues. Daddy issues, mommy issues, brother issues....just....issues.

I still love him! <3<3<3

Also I wonder who the sister was closer to in age. There are 6 years between Sandor and Gregor and Ned says a younger sister, but it is not made clear if she was younger than Gregor or younger than both of them. If she was the middle child then she may have died when he was anywhere between 0-12. Also there are suspisions about his sister, father's and goodsisters' deaths, but none it seems about his mother. Could she have died in childbirth?

It would be nice to have some more family background details!

I know! I'm a sucker for extremely detailed backstories. The Cleganes are one of the most fascinating families in the series...probably because of the mystery, largely. I think the "mysterious deaths" --- of the father (eliminating him gets him a lordship), and sister (she could have had suspicions and spread rumors about possible murder, and is also a potential heir); and I'm sure Gregor wouldn't have flinched at killing Sandor (he tried REALLY HARD during the Hand's Tourney), though Sandor had a measure of protection while employed as Joffrey's sworn shield, some protection from "hunting accidents" -- these are hints to readers Gregor had a hand in them, probably, knowing his nature.

Hell, I think it's more likely he raped and murdered his sister in a fit of anger/sociopathy.

Why? Because Gregor has really serious, fucked up issues with women (randomly raping 12 year old innkeep's daughters for amusement = seriously evil, horrendous atrocity). He's the type who turns troubled youths into hardened criminal gangbangers for life.

He should have been taken out by a headsman long ago.

I would love to see Qyburn, Ramsay Bolton and Gregor Clegane (and the Freys!) locked in a room with arms and armor to fight to the death. They all deserve each other.

( I think GRRM should go back and fill in little details like that in his appendices for readers satisfaction, personally. It would be a kindness to his fans.!!!!!!)))

I'm not sure why he (GRRM) hasn't given more background details on the Cleganes when people have asked him about them. Either they are not important so they don't exist or maybe they are part of the story that he doesn't want revealed yet.

Archived