Daenerys and the end of the book

Blaer Dayle

I just finished the second last chapter with Daenerys, and despite already seeing the show, and knowing what was and is coming, I feel absolutely terrible for her. She has lost everything she has ever known as well as anything she gained, and any hope she ever had of regaining everything she's lost. She's my favorite character (well maybe Tyrion, but it's close), and I just feel utterly downcast, and feel like mourning along with her. From the hints I've seen around the board (I've been trying to avoid outright spoilers) her dragons won't even serve much of a purpose for some time to come.

What are your thoughts on the ending, both for Daenerys, and for everyone in the 7 kingdoms. It's one of the most bleak and depressing endings I've ever seen in a book, and I already knew it was going to happen. It must have been terrible to read the books first and get to the end and realize there is no hope in sight for any of the characters. That said, I loved it, and I know I'll be diving right into aCoK as soon as I finish aGoT.

• 1 month later...

The ending is both tragic and optimistic with the birth of the dragons, although I have not read further yet so I don't know what's in store for her.

Exactly! Dany is one of the characters who has the toughest lots from childhood, and it seems to get tougher. But there is also hope! I've just started ACoK and haven't come across her so far!

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I love Dany, she is a example of transformation, in the beginning she nothing but a scared little girl that doesn't know what to do, but as the book progresses she starts to wake the queen inside her. But keep reading, you haven't even seen the beginning of what GRRM has prepared for us

Well it is sad for her losing everything she had yes but if you look on the other side she has DRAGONS. and not just dragons the last 3 living dragons in the whole of Westeros. Clash of kings is already way better but wait till you hit Storm of swords than you're really in for a treat. Just started Feast for Crows now but i don't have much hope of seeing Dany much there knowing it focusses more on Kings Landing. But i hope Dance with Dragons will compensate that :)

But you can also see her losing everything as the start of a whole new beginning as the queen she might become.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the show first, but have to say....it was sad to read. Here she had come to love Drogo and he dies and she has to come to the conclusion he's not coming back...tragic. I did like the eend though & can't wait to see what happens w/her in following books.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I liked the end, seeing the dragon eggs hatch. Dany truly is "the blood of the dragon." Anyway, looking to the future, part of me hopes she'll fulfill Viserys' dream and reclaim the Iron Throne, however, she'd be a MUCH better queen the he would a king. She's kind, pure of heart... However, if anyone remembers, Jorah Mormont told her she's just like her brother, Rhaegar. I'd like to learn more about the kind of person he was.

• 2 weeks later...

Depressing ending? It seemed a fantastic origin story for a big bad. I mean, I'm not seeing sunshine and rainbow coming out of this - tie that woman down and burn her to death to get your dragon eggs to hatch! Yup, I'm totally only feeling upset for her!

Archived