The Official Appreciation Thread for Sansa, Queen in the North v. 2

I think it's because of all the characters in these books, Sansa is the character most strongly associated with romance and/or marriage. She is introduced to us as a young girl infatuated with her prince, and even though she's since then become so much more, the fact remains that at every single moment in her story arc, she has either been betrothed to, married to, or perved on by someone. So it's very easy to fall into the habit of shipping her with everyone she meets, and even a lot of people she doesn't meet. I'm not saying it isn't overdone to the point of absurdity and annoyance at times (guilty as charged), but I kind of understand why it happens.

I think you are all kinds of right here. I am also guilty as charged.

I like the above idea about the Great Virginity Knot.

These are all reasons why it would be a perfect twist to have her end up as the Virgin Queen. I'm going to start shipping her with herself. Sounds quite pervy, but empowering, yes?

These are all reasons why it would be a perfect twist to have her end up as the Virgin Queen. I'm going to start shipping her with herself. Sounds quite pervy, but empowering, yes?

Alexia has posted that, too. I still like the idea of her "taking a lover", doesn't mean she has to marry him, but just so she can get her inner freak on.

I think you are all kinds of right here. I am also guilty as charged.

I like the above idea about the Great Virginity Knot.

Major pervy :) but empowering, undoubtedly. For me, I wouldn't want to see her as Virgin Queen as I think she does want the whole shebang of a husband, children and little cuddly puppies. Plus, the Great Virginity Knot is modeled after the Meereenese Knot, and eventually people do start arriving.

Major pervy :) but empowering, undoubtedly. For me, I wouldn't want to see her as Virgin Queen as I think she does want the whole shebang of a husband, children and little cuddly puppies. Plus, the Great Virginity Knot is modeled after the Meereenese Knot, and eventually people do start arriving.

re: puppies...Alexia once said that Sansa could always pull a Mormont...bed down with direwolves and all that...

People do ship Dany quite a bit, but not to the extent that Sansa receives.

She's got that "on a different continent" obstacle, whereas Sansa can more easily be paired with anyone in Westeros. A Sansa/wildling pairing might be the only one I haven't run into.

Also, in this scenario she could have Rickon as her James I - the northern heir who takes over after the Virgin Queen and shocks the southern court with his new ways (though Rickon would be more "feed them to Shaggy" than "peace is good, let's befriend our enemies").

She should have a harem of men (as long as it includes Pod).

She should also have a good dildo. And for those who think this is just perversion, there is evidence for the existence of dildos in the Middle Ages, though it is tentative.

Also, in this scenario she could have Rickon as her James I - the northern heir who takes over after the Virgin Queen and shocks the southern court with his new ways (though Rickon would be more "feed them to Shaggy" than "peace is good, let's befriend our enemies").

:bowdown:

I love this idea!

A Sansa/wildling pairing might be the only one I haven't run into.

Somewhere on these forums, I once saw a prediction that Sansa will end up as the Lady of Winterfell and married to Mance Rayder so... yeah.

To be fair, though, I think that prediction may have been made partly in jest.

She's got that "on a different continent" obstacle, whereas Sansa can more easily be paired with anyone in Westeros. A Sansa/wildling pairing might be the only one I haven't run into.

Alys Karstark is currently on her honeymoon having a hearty laugh at all the other unfortunate noble wenches back in Westeros. Over the wall = gold mine.

Somewhere on these forums, I once saw a prediction that Sansa will end up as the Lady of Winterfell and married to Mance Rayder so... yeah.

To be fair, though, I think that prediction may have been made partly in jest.

Wouter actually ships her with Mance. ;)

Ooooohh, I see.

I'm actually kind of curious about the reasoning behind that, tbh. Besides a Winterfell/wildling alliance, I mean.

He said that he thinks that Mance is the kind of guy that she'd like. He seems rather courtly, plays the harp (was it?), and he's a genuinely nice guy. Plus the wildling/Stark alliance too.

He said that he thinks that Mance is the kind of guy that she'd like. He seems rather courtly, plays the harp (was it?), and he's a genuinely nice guy. Plus the wildling/Stark alliance too.

Okay, at least that's some decent rationale. I still don't ship it, clearly, but I have no problem with that reasoning. Except he's legit described as "middle aged", so, erm. Lil too old for my tastes.

And he plays the lute, btw.

Excellent points, LC. I find LF to be one of the most interesting characters in the series and I like and agree with a lot of what you've said. "The schemer and the scorned man" sums him up perfectly - I love it!

I think you're right that he's gotten sloppy since leaving KL. Being the last word on what's what in the Vale is making him brazen, or stupid. I haven't really thought about his feelings for Alayne vs his feelings for Catelyn but you might be right that he's more obsessed with the former. Proximity is probably helping that long. The man's been nursing this 'crush' for 20 years or so and he's thisclose to his goal. As a reader, I'd actually be disappointed to see him lose control. It's one of the things I find most interesting about him. It adds tension to his character.

I don't entirely agree with you here, although this is right on. "Littlefinger" is a derogatory nickname given to him by (I forgot who) one of the Tullys. It's a name that simultaneously demeans his family's lineage and his manhood (and, by extension, his love for Cat). I wouldn't say Petyr embraces it as part of his personality. The Tullys' rejection has been his motivation all this time. He's spent years 'proving' that he's good enough for Cat. It's sad because she never wanted him anyway, and that probably wouldn't have changed even if his house has been more noble. I agree that Sansa has a stronger identity. She's had "what it means to be a Stark" ground into her since day 1. She's been raised to be a proper lady who represents her house with honor, and she's been groomed to make a good match. The one thing she hasn't learned from either of her parents is how to navigate a treacherous political landscape so her time with LF is actually beneficial to her in that regard. As Alayne, she can learn to be devious without tainting the purity that is Sansa. It will be interesting to see how she assimilates the two personalities. I like Sansa being a 'good girl.' I'd be disappointed if she became cruel or devious, although I know she can't take down the likes of Cersei without being a little edgier.

I like that LF is perving on Sansa. I think it's the perfect challenge for her character. I hate it when the hero/heroine of a book just has all opposition melt away in front of them. Main characters shouldn't have it easy. Sansa's come to be awesome but she wouldn't be awesome if she never encountered (and rose above) any difficulties. She's a beautiful girl who's drawn the eye of various sexually threatening men. Her story is very much effected by with her sexuality (her looks, her value as a wife (noble house/current claim on WF), her acceptance of Sandor, her unconsummated marriage to Tyrion). It makes sense that her major hurdle would be something sexual, and LF fits the bill. I love that his teachings will be the very thing that allows her to repel his advances and/or vanquish him. (At least, that's how I think this is going to go down.) She needs to take control of her sexuality. Her father made the match with Joffrey, Sandor intruded himself into her notice, Tyrion was forced on her, Harry's on deck to be forced on her, LF is creeping closer and closer . . . all this stuff has happened TO her. I want her to take a stand and say, "THIS is what I want (Sandor!) and THIS is what I don't want (LF)." I think her experiences with LF are the necessary catalyst.

Red text - I didn't think he wanted to be called LF necessarily, probably doesn't, but I was just labeling his alternate persona by what others around him would call it. People call the schemer in KL "Littlefinger."

---

Also, The Great Virginity Knot.........:lmao: I like that. Reminds me of this!

Archived