Viserys Targaryen, opinions

ShadowRaven

This is a tale about a Young Prince born in the greatest royal family the seven kingdoms has ever known. A tale about a Prince with a mad father, a mother who despised his father, a brother that most tell is a great man and a Prince who only had a little sister to ever look up to him.

He grew up in the royal courts, where people were most respectful to him due to his family lineage. And why not? The Targaryens brought peace among the seven kingdoms. He watches and learns from his environment. He notices how his father and mother never truly get along, how his father treats the people under him. He thinks he should be like that.

And despite all that he loves his family, because that is what family does, how disfunctional it may seem.

Then one day, an usurper fights against his father. He kills his dear brother and brings fear into the Young Prince. That fear grew and grew, until he had to flee for his life. He hears how his father was murdered by one of his proclaimed most loyal guards. That certainly frightens the Young Prince more.

He arrives at Dragonstone with his mother.

A short while after, his mother gives birth to his little sister. Then his mother dies and he has no one else but his little sister. He feels he needs to protect her, to keep the line alive. He flees from city to city, in fear of his life and his little sister's.

Years pass and the Young Prince has changed in more than one way.

One day, he has the opportunity to get back what was rightfully his, what rightfully belonged to his family. The only thing he needs to do is sell his little sister, a sister he kept dear at once, and probably still does. With much contempt and hesitation he lets his sister wed a Dothraki Lord.

The Young Prince tries to at least have the maidenhood of his sister, because in his own queer way, he loves her as a sister, and as his duty and his lineage, as a lover. His wish is not granted and every day he sees his litle sister with the Dothraki Lord. He sees his little sister, the child he let sleep in his bed when she had nightmares, the child he told stories about their heritage, with a Dothraki Lord.

He had no choice but to do so; forced, or otherwise no way to revive their family name.

Enflamed with emotion he pushes his anger towards his little sister and tells her he would let all the Dothraki warriors and horses fuck her, if that was what it would take to get him their kingdom back. He didn't mean it, and would never allow it, but he was too full of hatred because of the mockings the seven kingdsoms gave him.

Later, his little sister, the one girl he took care of, fed and helped raise, tries to boss him around. What does the Young Prince make out of this? A lot, and that lot grows in him like an angered seed until one day he snaps.

That day he drank a lot, went towards the tent of a great feast and threatened his sister and the child that she was carrying, the child that was supposed to be his. He demands that he gets what he was promised. He gave up his little sister, the only one who probably loved him since their family died, to get an army. An army the Young Prince never received.

The Dothraki Lord sees this and deludes the Young Prince.

That was when the life of a possibly great King ended.

Just before he died, he begged his little sister, the one he held dear, to spare him, yet she didn't. He dies a miserable death, knowing that the one being he loved, did not love him back.

All hail King Viserys Targaryen, Third of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!

This is a tale about a Young Prince born in the greatest royal family the seven kingdoms has ever known.

Seriously? The Targs were inbred asshats. They took over the Seven Kingdoms by conquest (otherwise known as usurping, making their last scions raging hypocrites as well) and kept the "peace" by crispy-frying any dissidents. There is a reason that rebellion against them succeeded in the end - people were fed up enough with their madness that they backed a noble against them.

And despite all that he loves his family, because that is what family does, how disfunctional it may seem.

Just curious, what are you basing this on? I remember absolutely no fond remembrances or expressions of love for anyone but himself from Viserys.

A short while after, his mother gives birth to his little sister. Then his mother dies and he has no one else but his little sister. He feels he needs to protect her, to keep the line alive. He flees from city to city, in fear of his life and his little sister's.

Willem Darry got Viserys and Dany out of Dragonstone and protected them in Braavos, not Viserys, until Darry died.

One day, he has the opportunity to get back what was rightfully his, what rightfully belonged to his family. The only thing he needs to do is sell his little sister, a sister he kept dear at once, and probably still does. With much contempt and hesitation he lets his sister wed a Dothraki Lord.

OMG what hesitation? He had her dressed and jeweled and perfumed and instructed her on how to stand to make her boobs look bigger, he was so determined to get her traded off to Drogo.

The Young Prince tries to at least have the maidenhood of his sister, because in his own queer way, he loves her as a sister, and as his duty and his lineage, as a lover.

He was going to rape her. End of story.

Enflamed with emotion he pushes his anger towards his little sister and tells her he would let all the Dothraki warriors and horses fuck her, if that was what it would take to get him their kingdom back. He didn't mean it, and would never allow it, but he was too full of hatred because of the mockings the seven kingdsoms gave him.

Yes, this is how lots of people express their love for another person. In fact, I am surprised men don't use this line on women more often, it is so sane and charming and reasonable.

Later, his little sister, the one girl he took care of, fed and helped raise, tries to boss him around. What does the Young Prince make out of this? A lot, and that lot grows in him like an angered seed until one day he snaps.

Yeah, what was wrong with her, anyway? All he wanted to do was smack her around, pinch her nipples, call her a slut and a whore for participating in the marriage he sold her into, beat her slaves, and threaten her life and her child's. Why on EARTH was she so utterly ungrateful?

That was when the life of a possibly great King ended.

Viserys was never going to be king of anything. Even discounting completely that he was a vicious, incompetant jerk, the Dothraki would never have followed him as far as the nearest port, much less across the sea. If they had, they would have been slaughtered by the first actual resistance they met.

Just before he died, he begged his little sister, the one he held dear, to spare him, yet she didn't. He dies a miserable death, knowing that the one being he loved, did not love him back.

What would you expect Dany to do? Defy and argue with her husband in front of several hundred highly ranked Dothraki men (thereby shaming and embarrassing him), so she could be killed on the spot as well? This is not Will Rogers she is married to, it is Drogo. He was not going to allow this insult to go unpunished, and getting in the way would only have ensured she shared Viserys' fate.

All hail King Viserys Targaryen, Third of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!

He was never crowned or acknowledged king of anything but carts.

I am not sure what the intent of this post was. Was it just to present him the way he likely told himself he was, delusional lies and all? Or do you really believe this?

I am not sure what the intent of this post was. Was it just to present him the way he likely told himself he was, delusional lies and all? Or do you really believe this?

I think the point was to show that even though Viserys wasn't the best person, he was still worthy of some pity and sympathy. He certainly didn't deserve as horrible and humiliating a death as he did. I always felt incredibly sorry for him, even if I despised the way he treated Dany and conducted himself in general. I also can't find him completely at fault for his actions, since he was quite clearly insane.

Of all the villians and anti-heroes in the series, I think Viserys had the hardest life, moreso than the Hound or Jaime or even Tyrion. He started with everything and through no fault of his own lost it all. To me that's one of the worst things that can possibly happen to someone. Someone who started out with nothing would at least develop the skills and street smarts they needed to survive, but you can't expect that of someone raised to be a prince. Anyone who ever felt sorry for Arya should feel just as sorry for Viserys. Arya just made more of her situation than Viserys did, but I'd imagine being born free of any crippling madness would help with that.

I'm all for playing the Devil's Advocate lol, but your version of events are as mad as a snake. I do have some sympathy towards Viserys (especially after Dany's vision of him in her final ADWD chapter) but there isn't room for more than a little bit.

I liked Viserys from the start, his portrayal in series is one of the few good things because actor played him not one dimesional like he was in the book. And after many mistakes daenerys did now I see Viserys even though he was a dick he was right about everything he said, and he was a true targaryen. daenerys abandoed their goal, marrying some meereen noble to make them accept her.

It's hard not to have at least some pity for Viserys. He went from having everything to nothing in what must have felt like the blink of an eye to him, then he was tasked with looking after his sister and watching as they both ended up as the kind of people he once lorded over. He was then forced to suffer insult after insult as those who took him in only did so for humour and out of pity. Then he is forced to watch as the army he thought he was promised marches away from his home, as well as being treated like a nobody by the same army. Then, to top it all off, his sister, the one thing in his life he had authority over, started commanding him and treating him as a 'lesser' person. It's not hard to see how much he thought his life sucked.

But on the other hand he was an arrogant, ignorant, egotistical, selfish, cruel, abusing, scheming bully that vented all of his rage on a child, and eventually a pregnant teenager. So he got what was coming to him.

He was mad and fool just like his father.

He wouldnt have lasted very long on the throne, he has no clue how to play the game otherwise

he would have gotten his army. I have to say though that throughout the rein of Targs, many

great kings and princes came and they were worthy of the throne as big as Iron Throne but

Viserys was just a fool.

I've always kinda felt sorry for Viserys. He got everything taken away from him when he was a little prince and had to grow up by himself and taking care of his little sis. I hated to see him leave that way, and also think his presence would have made Dany's chapters much more enjoyable.

While it is known, and true, that no one deserves to die as Viserys did, he pretty much made his own fate. If he had displayed half of his little sister's pluck in observing the Dothraki and trying to embrace their culture; if he had tried to understand the Dothraki and behave in a way that earned their respect rather than their contempt, and if he had not held a knife to his sister and threatened to cut out her unborn child, then he would have lived. I don't think he was mad at all; just insecure and arrogant.

Viserys was a Prince with a fatal flaw.

He was a monumental dick.

Viserys was the living embodyment of everything that is bad for a ruler. He failed to see things outside of his own understanding, rejected any council and believed that as King it is he and he alone that knows best. Varys says it best in the epilogue of ADWD, about ruling the Kingdom is not a right of the individual but a Duty.

I really believe this, it's an opinion.

Well, welcome to the forum, and you absolutely have a right to your own opinions and viewpoints.

I lost all sympathy for Viserys when Dany was doing her best to fit into the situation he sold her into, while he made it as much harder on her as he possibly could. She had all the same reasons to be a whiny little bitch as he did, but she tried to make the best of it instead. For me, that just threw his total failure and blatant stupidity into sharper relief.

I agree on many points you are giving.

Remember what Maester Aemon once said 'There are many kings who are good men, yet bad kings'. He also said 'There are many kings who are bad men, yet good kings'.

So yeah, If Viserys was given The Iron Throne, I do honestly believe he would have become a good king. His father was mad, surely, but he was not as mad as his father.

Think about it, the only thing that drove him to madness was the throne, so if he got that, that mad drive would have gone away. He would have killed all the usurpers, Lannisters included. With the help of Dorne, that would be likely. He would have married Arriane and their children would rule after them.

Once again, it's just my opinion. A great person once said, 'don't ever judge a book by its cover'. I don't do that. Even though all the covers of hatred, lashes and disgust by Viserys, I truly believe he would have become a great king.

I don't think its an easy thing to live in Excile, constantly moving from city to city knowing that your family was one of the most powerful in the seven kingdoms, that it held the Iron Throne for over 200 years, and that now, the man who usurped the throne is a fat, drunken fool who goes whoring women about!!! I think if I was Visery's, I would go mad knowing that!!!

Yet, even though his actions were seen as disgusting and unspeakable! Through a dark, twisted view point, it could be seen that he was trying to do some good for Dany, to get them home, to retake the throne, etc.....

If anyone like me felt some element of pity for him, I know where your coming from! Tis just one of the few things that makes him seem more human, rather than a monster!

Archived