Viserys Targaryen, opinions

ShadowRaven

Ah, I forgot about that to be honest, my bad. But I still stand firm on my opinion.

I just want to point out that every coin has two sides.

Okay, but what I'm failing to see is how you can justify wanting a person you admit to being an abusive sociopath to rule Westeros. There's Devil's Advocacy but this goes way beyond that...

Daenerys could sympathize with her brother because he was the only remaining link to her family and the only open door she had to her past. But other than that, I'll give it to Jorah. he didn't do that much to make her life better. He beat the crap out of her, dissed her efforts to integrate him, and pimped her out to get an army.

Not to mention it's extremely common for victims of abuse to sympathize with their abusers. Dany's realization out of the blue that it is possible to be free of Viserys' abuse is a big part of her character growth.

Well....Maybe it's just my personal fault. I just sympathise with such characters.

Severus Snape, Viserys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannisters and Theon Greyjoy have all been wronged in so many ways. If life were just a spark different, their outcome would be so much different as well.

Perhaps Viserys is a sociopath, a dictator, a moron, a bad brother, a bad husband and a bad king....But for all its worth I believe he would be great in court. Greatness isn't made in one day.

If he went to war, he would be there for perhaps years until Westeros finally yielded to him and his allies. In those years he would find out he needed to change to play the game of thrones.

Again, just a personal opinion. Hate Viserys all you want, but he still is, and always will be one of my favourite characters in GRRM'S A Song of Ice and Fire!

All hail Viserys Targaryen, titles titles....

Perhaps Viserys is a sociopath, a dictator, a moron, a bad brother, a bad husband and a bad king....But for all its worth I believe he would be great in court. Greatness isn't made in one day.

Well, Greatness is just one side of the Targ coin; madness is the other, as Barristan well said.

• 7 months later...

This is a tale about a Young Prince born in the greatest royal family the seven kingdoms has ever known. A tale about a Prince with a mad father, a mother who despised his father, a brother that most tell is a great man and a Prince who only had a little sister to ever look up to him.

He grew up in the royal courts, where people were most respectful to him due to his family lineage. And why not? The Targaryens brought peace among the seven kingdoms. He watches and learns from his environment. He notices how his father and mother never truly get along, how his father treats the people under him. He thinks he should be like that.

And despite all that he loves his family, because that is what family does, how disfunctional it may seem.

Then one day, an usurper fights against his father. He kills his dear brother and brings fear into the Young Prince. That fear grew and grew, until he had to flee for his life. He hears how his father was murdered by one of his proclaimed most loyal guards. That certainly frightens the Young Prince more.

He arrives at Dragonstone with his mother.

A short while after, his mother gives birth to his little sister. Then his mother dies and he has no one else but his little sister. He feels he needs to protect her, to keep the line alive. He flees from city to city, in fear of his life and his little sister's.

Years pass and the Young Prince has changed in more than one way.

One day, he has the opportunity to get back what was rightfully his, what rightfully belonged to his family. The only thing he needs to do is sell his little sister, a sister he kept dear at once, and probably still does. With much contempt and hesitation he lets his sister wed a Dothraki Lord.

The Young Prince tries to at least have the maidenhood of his sister, because in his own queer way, he loves her as a sister, and as his duty and his lineage, as a lover. His wish is not granted and every day he sees his litle sister with the Dothraki Lord. He sees his little sister, the child he let sleep in his bed when she had nightmares, the child he told stories about their heritage, with a Dothraki Lord.

He had no choice but to do so; forced, or otherwise no way to revive their family name.

Enflamed with emotion he pushes his anger towards his little sister and tells her he would let all the Dothraki warriors and horses fuck her, if that was what it would take to get him their kingdom back. He didn't mean it, and would never allow it, but he was too full of hatred because of the mockings the seven kingdsoms gave him.

Later, his little sister, the one girl he took care of, fed and helped raise, tries to boss him around. What does the Young Prince make out of this? A lot, and that lot grows in him like an angered seed until one day he snaps.

That day he drank a lot, went towards the tent of a great feast and threatened his sister and the child that she was carrying, the child that was supposed to be his. He demands that he gets what he was promised. He gave up his little sister, the only one who probably loved him since their family died, to get an army. An army the Young Prince never received.

The Dothraki Lord sees this and deludes the Young Prince.

That was when the life of a possibly great King ended.

Just before he died, he begged his little sister, the one he held dear, to spare him, yet she didn't. He dies a miserable death, knowing that the one being he loved, did not love him back.

All hail King Viserys Targaryen, Third of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!

I teared at this, This paragraph sums up Viserys perfectly, I also sent you a friend request because of this! VISERYS forever!

• 5 weeks later...
I’d let his whole khalasar fuck you if need be, sweet sister, all forty thousand men, and their horses too if that was what it took to get my army.

Viserys laid the point of his sword over the curve of her belly. “I want what I came for,” he told her. “I want the crown he promised me. He bought you, but he never paid for you. Tell him I want what I bargained for, or I’m taking you back. You and the eggs both. I’ll cut the bastard out and leave it for him.

The night before the Princess wed he tried to steal into her bed, insisting that it he could not have her hand, he'd have her maidenhead. Had I not taken the precaution of posting guards on the door, Viserys might have undone years of planning.

Viserys is the lowest of the low. I cheered when he died. He wasn't fit to draw breath. I don't often say this, but I have serious concerns about the nature of people who are in advocacy of him and his actions.

Shadow Raven Snape, Tyrion and Theon have likable features about them. Snape turned out to be a good guy, Tyrion is hilarious, Theon always used too smile and wanted to impress his dad that he hadn't seen for years. When was Viserys ever likable during A Game Of Thrones, or funny, or a good guy. He claims they were always running from Roberts knives but what if he was just chucked out of the places he stayed. Theon betrayed his friends to win favor with his family and showed Bran mercy. Viserys threatened to kill his nephew, wanted to rape his sister, would have gladly let his sister be fucked by an entire Khalasar and their horses, also he didn't even attempt to live like a Dothraki and had no patience. He would have made an awful king, also if he had became king the Iron Throne would have been won for him by Drogo, he wouldn't have led the Khalasar or played a part in the actual invasion .

Based on your facts...

Viserys was beyond rude, self-important, egotistcal and cruel, and those are his good points. The Dornish are quick to take offense, irrascible, vindictive, and prone to deal with enemies using methods involving poison or venom.

'Nuff sed.

I feel that Harry Lloyd's performance in S1 made Viserys tonnes more sympathetic to me... I think Linda said the same thing (in the two videos where she and Elio discussed the second season in a lot of depth) of him. The Sky Atlantic

he did was wonderful too, I really think he knew his character inside and out.

I feel that Harry Lloyd's performance in S1 made Viserys tonnes more sympathetic to me...

Agreed. I saw the show before reading the book and i was actually a little surprised that Show!Viserys was more rounded. You could almost see the desperation in his eyes in the show. Book!Viserys, we dont really see those expressions.

I actually like Viserys. I wanted him to be an antagonist to a lot of the characters in the story so i wanted him to live. To see how far he'd go to actually achieve his goal. Someone way upthread said he was similar to Joffrey. On the surface, yes, but theres so much more to Viserys. He had a pretty bad time of it prior to the events in AGoT. He wasnt innately a strong person and he suffered because of it. He was truly an angry person.

Archived