Sandor Clegane v. 13

do you think that when Sandor says, "this thing about your mother..." and arya interrupts him, he was actually thinking to go back to the twins and try and rescue cat? maybe he was thinking about it, but arya had her dream the night before so she could know her mother was dead and the rescue trip would not happen sincce it could've taken needless writiting..?

and @brashcandy, it would be hilarious to read about sansa and sweetrobin being rescued by the hound and how both guys would be fighting to get sansa's attention :)

And a berry merry Christmas to all. I have a pork roast in the oven, arroz con gandules on the stovetop, a maple cake and decanter of wine sitting on the table, and all the nice china out. The family is descending upon my household in about an hour. ;)

A flagon of sour red, Sandor's favorite? Or an Arbor gold? ... Or perhaps even a mulled spiced wine served warm? Merry christmas!

Secretariat, 'tis. Seriously, I can't explain it. Though I wish they'd shopped it on to the "Sandor approves" shot floating around.

Alexia, that sounds deelish. It is making me hungry again, and I've already stuffed myself with a freakish amount of macaroni and cheese.

Hope y'all raked in a good haul. My husband is a genius and got me the Clegane house shirt! Shame HBO makes the shirts of such cheap material though.

Now, brash, this is a good list of similarities. #3 is awesome! I would also add to your list that both these fine gentlemen clearly enjoy tits. Though that ship freaks me out.

As for how Sandor would deal with Robert and his tantrums, see duct tape/horse blanket childcare scenario above.

"fine gentleman" to describe Sweetrobin... ha ha! I think I like Littlefinger's Sweetrobin description of "8 going on 3" (or maybe that was Sansa's description.)

Thinking of SR reminds me of how Sansa thought of Sandor's kiss (that didn't really happen) when SR kissed her... and how she thought about Sandor's "cruel mouth." Do you think that she meant that his mouth was cruel because he was so brutally honest and foul-mouthed with her, or do you think she is referring to the scarred aspect of his mouth (she always observes how his mouth twitches)?

do you think that when Sandor says, "this thing about your mother..." and arya interrupts him, he was actually thinking to go back to the twins and try and rescue cat?

It could be, though I always took it to mean he was about to try and explain, more gently this time, why they couldn't go back after her mother. I don't think he ever intended to go back and rescue Catelyn, and to be honest I can't blame him. It would have been extremely foolhardy, even for a man of Sandor's experience, to try sneaking into a heavily guarded castle with no one to back you up save one scrawny albeit feisty little girl, to rescue a woman who as far as he knew was probably dead anyway.

I do really, really, REALLY want to know exactly what he was about to say to her, though!

As far as Sandor and Sweetrobin, I think I've said it before, but I really do think Sandor would be way too much, way too soon for Sweetrobin. Far from reacting positively to his "tough love," I think Sweetrobin would be more likely to curl up into a whimpering, catatonic ball. He definitely needs someone with a firm hand, no question. But at this point, I think he still needs someone much gentler than Sandor (even post-QI Sandor) would be. Sweetrobin needs to work his way up to being able to deal with Sandor. :lol:

ETA: littlespider!!!!! The fact that that confession was yours makes you all the more awesome in my eyes. When I saw it, I was like, "I LIKE THIS PERSON, I LIKE THEM VERY MUCH." I mean, I'm actually not attracted to Sandor myself, because he's just... really really really not my type like AT ALL, but the confession itself was totally hilarious and awesome.

Also, I may or may not have submitted a couple of confessions to that blog myself, but no way am I copping to them. *cough*

SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING AND THE CAPSLOCK it's christmas and I've had a lot of eggnog ok?

Did Sandor ever name a "Queen of Love and Beauty" when he won the Tourney of the Hand? I don't think that he did and I wonder why that is?

No he didn't; I also think he probably considers the tradition totally dumb.

He was in the tournament for the money and the bragging rights. Earning the love of the common folk was an unexpected byproduct of saving Loras.

It seems like it might have been presumptuous for him to name one of the noblewomen a Queen of Love and Beauty, or do I not understand the tradition correctly? I remember everyone being upset when Rhaegar named Lyanna such (the moment that all smiles died) and I wonder who Sandor would be able to name appropriately.

I think he was also in the tournament for the fun of it. He likes jousting against people who he knows can give him a challenge. Its like the World Cup of Westeros, and Sandor is one of the best soccer players in the world...

It's probably better that he didn't name a Queen of Love & Beauty. Can you imagine how uncomfortable that situation would have been? Especially if he'd given the title to the person we all know he really wanted to give it to? AWKwaaaaaard.

I remember everyone being upset when Rhaegar named Lyanna such (the moment that all smiles died)

I think that was just because he didn't give it to Elia, though. You know, his wife. Bad form, Rhaegar.

I think that was just because he didn't give it to Elia, though. You know, his wife. Bad form, Rhaegar.

Yes, but it indicates that there is an etiquette around the naming tradition. So could the Hound name Cersei Lannister, or Sansa Stark, or any other of the very high noblewomen without overstepping boundaries big time?

Random thought that suddenly popped into my head. I wonder if Tanda Stokeworth ever tried to arrange a marriage between Sandor and Lollys.

Let's remember, though, that this is the guy who referred to Florian and Jonquil as "a fool and his cunt." He LOLs, and cackles, and snorts derisively, at any foo' that names a queen of love and beauty. He is the king of anti-sentimentality and dumb courtly traditions. (That's why I like him.) Now, of course, his absolute anti-sentimentality is the result of mentally constipated stoicism in the face of any and all emotions that are not rage. This is also why I like him.

Or, he would just name Renly the queen of love and beauty just to be a dick.

I do really, really, REALLY want to know exactly what he was about to say to her, though!

I do too. See? George is not nice. We might have heard more about his family, or about the pointlessness of trying to save someone who's no doubt dead, or whatnot. And he seemed like he was for once not using his "cruel" mouth.

As for Lord Robert (his nickname makes me shudder) -- can I just say it once and get it out there OMFG I CAN'T STAND THAT GROSS LITTLE FUCKER. Now I feel better.

ETA: littlespider!!!!! The fact that that confession was yours makes you all the more awesome in my eyes. When I saw it, I was like, "I LIKE THIS PERSON, I LIKE THEM VERY MUCH." I mean, I'm actually not attracted to Sandor myself, because he's just... really really really not my type like AT ALL, but the confession itself was totally hilarious and awesome.

Glad you liked it. Yeah, the ugly/gross/alcoholic is not typically my type, but in this case it makes for a perfect cocktail with the mean asshole alpha male seriously in need of some firm, uh, "discipline."

SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING AND THE CAPSLOCK it's christmas and I've had a lot of eggnog ok?

Fuuuu.... I KNEW there was something missing from my christmas. Why am I sober, FFS??

Let's remember, though, that this is the guy who referred to Florian and Jonquil as "a fool and his cunt." He LOLs, and cackles, and snorts derisively, at any foo' that names a queen of love and beauty. He is the king of anti-sentimentality and dumb courtly traditions. (That's why I like him.)

Yeah, but he's also the guy who wanted Sansa to sing him a pretty song, who talked about "wonderful toys" and "pretty talking birds from the Summer Isles," and basically asked her (albeit in the most crass, disturbing way possible) to let him be her ~true knight~ ("I could keep you safe, etc etc"). I mean, he'd rip out his own eyes and tongue before he'd ever admit that that's what he was asking her for... but he totally was.

I think he scoffs and protests a lot, but secretly, deep down... very deep down... he kinda likes it a little bit. At least when the right girl is involved.

Or, he would name Renly the queen of love and beauty just to be a dick.

If he had done that, I would have started liking him waaaaaaayy sooner than I actually did.

Random thought that suddenly popped into my head. I wonder if Tanda Stokeworth ever tried to arrange a marriage between Sandor and Lollys.

Hmm, I suppose it is possible, but I think even a woman as desperate as Tanda would find the Hound too ferocious and bad tempered. If she did though, I wonder what Sandor would have thought of it? Probably not too kindly as he already thinks about what kind of gods would make a "half-wit" like Lollys. It's interesting to think about though, because if you consider his curt response to Tanda when she asks for Lollys after the riot, it takes on a whole new meaning if he really was once considered a suitor for her.

Lady Tanda obviously aims higher, the two men she tried to get for her daughter were in the small council.

But I bet there were some people who tried to get him for their daughters. Poor everyone :).

You know what, I'm probably wrong anyway because it was mentioned that Bronn finally was an appropriate match for Lollys once he was knighted. Sandor not being a knight, he would not have been appropriate (and Lady Tanda seems to love her daughter anyway, so....). Interesting to think about though.

You know what, I'm probably wrong anyway because it was mentioned that Bronn finally was an appropriate match for Lollys once he was knighted. Sandor not being a knight, he would not have been appropriate (and Lady Tanda seems to love her daughter anyway, so....). Interesting to think about though.

Bronn married Lollys after she was raped and when she was pregnant. In those conditions, lady Tanda couldn't very well pick and choose.

For fun times today, folks:

What crackpot theories do you have about Sandor? I'm not talking about the mundane ones like AA, but really nutty cracks. E.g., since Sandor is obviously a faceless man, who is he currently disguised as? What kinds of creatures can he warg? And how many random bastards does he have running around the Crownlands?

Aye, poor Lollys indeed. Although I don't know that she is in a particularly bad situation now. If nothing else, Bronn is a man who knows how to stay alive and keep people alive. He likes to speak his mind as well. Lollys could have feared much worse, particularly given how unhappy many recent marriages have been.

As for Sandor, he looks much like Brienne to me in that both refuse to lend prestige to Knighthood as it is over Knighthood as it is supposed to be. I don't know that they would have feelings for each other as such, but I can easily see the two of them finding common ground and becoming good friends. Sandor would love Brienne's trustworthness, and Brienne seems to have a thing for strong men seeking redemption despite themselves.

Aye, poor Lollys indeed. Although I don't know that she is in a particularly bad situation now.

Bronn just murdered her relatives! Everyone believes that he is responsible for her mother (who truly loved her) broken hip and that he is going to kill Tanda now. He threw Falyse out of her own castle and is using Lollys to steal said castle from her sister. And then there's the little matter of giving that poor baby the surname Tanner as a joke because Lollys was raped behind a tanner's shop.

Bronn is one of the worst possible husbands she could have been given to. She would have been better off having never married at all. And so would her whole family. :frown5:

Archived